MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’d pay more attention to the red Braves jersey on the Swanberson bobblehead than the Los Braves bobblehead (not to say they won’t wear those on a special heritage day, but one is certainly a bigger deal in terms of a uniform “refresh” than the other). 

12 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

The unevenness of the phils new logo is so bothering, 100% downgrade, the removal of the field shape left it feeling extremely left heavy due to the way the script is and the capital P, it also seems like it juts out more on the left side too, but my eyes could be playing tricks on me

Yea, I don't see what was wrong with the old primary. They only needed one version of it that could be used against any color, where as this they had to make 3 different versions for what color it is against.

On 1/14/2019 at 5:54 PM, mjd77 said:

Shouldn't the new BP caps be out soon...or at least be officially unveiled? Can't find anything on them except for the Nats one that was leaked.

Looks like A's stuck with the logo they floated last off season for their new BP hat, Here is their St. Patrick's Day hat...

DxNrxBMUcAEpqGe.jpg

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

On 1/19/2019 at 12:02 PM, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Recap:
New navy and red alternate

Slight modification to the script on the road grays

Cream jersey now has piping on the sleeves

No change to home whites

Picture of the modified road script:

DxSd9rIU0AARmHd.jpg

Whats different on the grays? Looks the same to me. Different angle?

13 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

Whats different on the grays? Looks the same to me. Different angle?

From Uni Watch:

2018.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-01-19-at-1.29.25-PM.png

vs.

2019.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-01-19-at-1.30.01-PM.png

It’s designed to match the Braves script better and it does seem to be a bit more legible, too.

Interestingly enough, this is the third version of this script in the last few years, considering it used to look like this:

470245328.0.jpg

The new Atlanta script is an improvement, but it's still awkward how the A is at a different tilt than tlanta is.  I'm not sure how to fix it, but it needs some work.

It's also weird how the official graphics show the lighter navy, rather than the actual midnight navy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

From Uni Watch:

2018.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-01-19-at-1.29.25-PM.png

vs.

2019.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-01-19-at-1.30.01-PM.png

It’s designed to match the Braves script better and it does seem to be a bit more legible, too.

Interestingly enough, this is the third version of this script in the last few years, considering it used to look like this:

470245328.0.jpg

Got'cha thanks!

Definitely a bit cleaner, i like it 

I wonder if the Braves set would look better without the headspoon. Replace it with three-color piping around the collar; or just leave the collar empty. The piping along the placket just seams to muddy up the wordmark and tomahawk. 

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

The Braves are a case where building a matching road script is an issue. This applies to everywhere they’ve played. Shameless self plug:

jGq9xYb.png

Boston is probably the easiest, with Atlanta as a close second and Milwaukee as a very distant third. While their latest attempt is the best they’ve done, it could use a little refinement in the angling of the A, the height of the “t” cross bars and the line between the “a” and “n.”

4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

The Braves are a case where building a matching road script is an issue. This applies to everywhere they’ve played. Shameless self plug:

jGq9xYb.png

Boston is probably the easiest, with Atlanta as a close second and Milwaukee as a very distant third. While their latest attempt is the best they’ve done, it could use a little refinement in the angling of the A, the height of the “t” cross bars and the line between the “a” and “n.”

That “M” is really awkward. 

I think they would have been better off using the road script from the Brewers in the late 1940s, when they were briefly a Braves farm club. 

1951_roadjersey_eff.jpg

1951_roadjerseys.jpgJohnnyLogan_c1948.jpg

Just replace the tail with the tomahawk, and it’s a great Milwaukee Braves road jersey.  

55 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

That “M” is really awkward. 

I think they would have been better off using the road script from the Brewers in the late 1940s, when they were briefly a Braves farm club. 

1951_roadjersey_eff.jpg

Just replace the tail with the tomahawk, and it’s a great Milwaukee Braves road jersey.  

I see where you’re coming from, and I disagree. I’d rather the cursive “font” match than have two noticeably different styles. Besides, the “M” has a construction that isn’t all that different from the “B” (one line for the left bar, and another for the other parts). I don’t think it’s all that awkward.

The American Association “M” looks too different from the Braves’ “B” to work. It’s not nearly curvy enough for my liking. It’s like how the Dodgers’ first “Los Angeles” script differed from the home wordmark:

6366611958.gif6366151959.gif

Little differences make it a tad disjointed. If the Braves had redone their cursive script to match the AA Brewers’ road script (albeit with the tomahawk replacing the tail), then I’d be more inclined to like it.

Apologies for the double post, but I have to agree with @Gothamite now. The AA Brewers-style M, with a few adjustments to make it look more like the Atlanta "A," makes the script a heck of a lot less awkward.

Ai5qjQW.png

Thanks, Gothamite! It just goes to show you how difficult it can be to make a road script after-the-fact, especially on a script font as fussy as the Braves' lettering.

Back to the point of the Braves' updates, I find it interesting that they didn't make the "715" uniforms (or a modernization of them) an alternate. Heck, they already had the perfect cap for that purpose:

braves-mlb-diamond-era-bp-white-navy-new

It'd be a better alt cap than the lone tomahawk.

Archived