Part of me prefers the Mariners pairing powder with navy & teal to the creme royal/yellow alternate. All-cool colors is a much more pleasing look than the overly-complex wordmark on a creme base. The former looks like it goes together, while the latter is disjointed. 

The overly-complex wordmark looks pretty awful in any color combination.  This is probably the best, since the outside keyline can blend into the background. 

The Mariners have tried an "M" hat at times in their history, but I've never quite been sold on it. If their city name started with an M, then sure no problem. But since it doesn't, I think they should try a hat with "M's" on it. It's the baseball thing to do. See the A's and O's. 

Really like the hat...jersey is pretty nice, but should have been teal.

Looking forward to all of the ST hats...apparently there will be quite a few new logos.

It's not ugly but who asked for powder blue to return to Seattle? I thought that was a thing in Philly, Minnesota, and St Louis only. And why WITH the teal instead of replacing the teal? (Which I'm not saying would have been a good decision either). It's a confusing look. My brain just keeps telling me this is teal but the lighting is just off making it look blue. And I wonder if these were inspired by the M's Players Weekend jerseys which randomly used that light blue as well?

I dunno... this just seems like a really random thing for the Mariners.

And, yes, maybe it's a stretch but... the Marlins just upgraded their own light blue color to a primary color and have moved farther away from teal so you'd think this is more reason for the Mariners to embrace teal and stay away from light/powder blue. Them coming out with a powder blue jersey now feels like some kind of cheap rip off of the Marlins. (I know it isn't but the timing sure looks bad here to me)

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's not ugly but who asked for powder blue to return to Seattle? I thought that was a thing in Philly, Minnesota, and St Louis only.

It needs to be a thing in KC again, too. 

I’ve never been a fan of a cap using the letter of the nickname rather than the city name. The “A’s” cap is alright since it’s been around for so long. The “O’s” cap and this new “M” cap just strike me as odd. I guess it’s one of those things that’s so ingrained in the history of the sport that anything else looks odd.

On a somewhat related note, I feel the same way about college athletics. I’m not a fan of teams using scripts that heavily emphasize the mascot over the school. If you’re Georgia, you shouldn’t wear jerseys that say “Bulldogs.” Yes, you are the Bulldogs, but you’re first and foremost representing a university. You should identify as such.

What's worse to you: a college uniform that has a nickname, or a college uniform that just says "STATE"?

22 minutes ago, the admiral said:

What's worse to you: a college uniform that has a nickname, or a college uniform that just says "STATE"?

It depends on the context but probably the nickname. Take a basketball team as an example. Florida’s white set just says “Gators.” That script on a basketball uniform is the main identifier for the school. In my view, it should read “Florida.” Now on the other hand, let’s look at Oklahoma football. While the chest reads “Sooners,” the helmet still has the interlocked OU. It depends on the context, but I feel like if the main identifier (baseball cap, football helmet, basketball jersey) for a school is a script (meaning not a logo like the Oregon State beaver, the Florida State spear, the Clemson paw, etc) then it should emphasize the school rather than the mascot. I’m also not a fan of abbreviations or nicknames for the school name on official team uniforms (such as Bama, Mizzou, or Cuse).

That discussion was somewhat related to the MLB caps point, but I don’t want to get too much more off topic so I’ll stop there.

4 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Florida’s white set just says “Gators.” That script on a basketball uniform is the main identifier for the school.

I don't have a problem with a school's home basketball set having the nickname on the chest. Follows a lot of the NBA/MLB "rules". 

Oklahoma State's throwback script "Cowboys" unis are fantastic.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's not ugly but who asked for powder blue to return to Seattle? I thought that was a thing in Philly, Minnesota, and St Louis only. And why WITH the teal instead of replacing the teal? (Which I'm not saying would have been a good decision either). It's a confusing look. My brain just keeps telling me this is teal but the lighting is just off making it look blue. And I wonder if these were inspired by the M's Players Weekend jerseys which randomly used that light blue as well?

I dunno... this just seems like a really random thing for the Mariners.

I seem to recall one of the Mariners execs responding to a fan question about if the M's were going to do something with powder blue (I wanna say it was on Twitter) a couple years ago, and the exec giving a tease that made it sound like they were planning on doing something.  I know that sounds real vague, but that comment stuck with me, and so I'm not too surprised that this came out (although I was guessing they'd do a regular season uni/jersey).

I'm also curious:  I keep reading references to a powder blue *uniform* -- does this mean they're breaking out the same-colored pants in spring training as well?

6 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Isn't it already a thing in KC? They have a powder blue jersey right? I was thinking of teams that don't (or didn't in the case of St Louis now) already have a powder jersey that fans wanted them to bring it back. 

10 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

It's not ugly but who asked for powder blue to return to Seattle? I thought that was a thing in Philly, Minnesota, and St Louis only.

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Milwaukee had arguably the best powder blue look, and it's attached to the iconic 1982 squad.  

10 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I’ve never been a fan of a cap using the letter of the nickname rather than the city name. The “A’s” cap is alright since it’s been around for so long. The “O’s” cap and this new “M” cap just strike me as odd. I guess it’s one of those things that’s so ingrained in the history of the sport that anything else looks odd.

The "traditional" baseball uniform standards (city monogram on hat, nickname of monogram on home whites, city name on road greys, etc.) are things I only care to hold the "original 8" in each league to.  And even then, only the teams that haven't had a significant change in identity (A's and Twins are exempt).

I actually prefer the mix of city, nickname, and city-nickname monograms that you find in Japan.  So as much as I think the Rockies need a rebrand, I'd hope they still keep the "CR" monogram since it's become a thing they own rather than adding a 4th team that uses just a "C" (Cubs, Reds, Indians).  I like that the Angels have used an "A" going back to the 60s, especially when they actually play in Anaheim.  And if the Brewers just did the sensible thing and stopped half-assing it with the BiG, all three "M" teams (Miami, Milwaukee, Minnesota) would all have a different monogram (although the Marlins should be an "F," IMO). 

All that said, as much as I like the Mariners new monorgam in a vaccum, I think it's unnecessary and doesn't really add anything to the set that the "S" doesn't already.  They also threw powder blue into to their current identity, but didn't keep the updated trident?

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Isn't it already a thing in KC? They have a powder blue jersey right? I was thinking of teams that don't (or didn't in the case of St Louis now) already have a powder jersey that fans wanted them to bring it back. 

They just have a throwback they wear once in a blue moon, and then an alt jersey, but not a full uniform like the cardinals and Phillies just debuted 

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

And Milwaukee, only if as part of a total overhaul. 

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And Milwaukee, only if as part of a total overhaul. 

With the Miller name being tossed aside soon, now would be about the "perfect" time. 😉

(Even though it should have been years ago.)