MLB 2019 Changes

21 hours ago, Gothamite said:

MKE has really become the preferred abbreviation that the city uses to refer to itself. 

I'm very aware of this, I just don't care for the inconsistency of MIL vs MKE (Granted, what else is new with the Brewers? :p).

That, and when you're the BREWers, you almost have to go with BREW City, right?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NicDB said:

Just putting it out there that these are my favorite Brewers scripts of all time and I think they outclass the 1982 scripts in every imaginable way (the home more-so than the road, which is basically this minus the tail).  I hope they're considered as part of a long overdue rebrand.

4225_milwaukee_brewers-jersey-1990.png

6806_milwaukee_brewers-jersey-1990.png

Eh, if we're allowed to get really picky (and let's face it, if not here then where can we?), I've never liked the tails on those scripts. The road script in particular - it's really awkward coming off that final "e".

What's wrong with just putting this across the front of the roads?

6960_milwaukee_brewers-jersey-1986.png

As for the homes, the script isn't much better.  Don't like how the vertical line of the "B" just hangs there.   They would do better adopting the 1948 Brewers script (in royal and gold, natch):

1948_MajesticJersey_wordmark.jpg

Much better balanced, so much more pleasing to my eye.  The "B" is more natural, and the swoop from "s" to tail is actually justified.

16 hours ago, Ark said:

This uniform is just fine. Way better than B R E W E R S

The logo and colors just doesn't fit with that fancy script and font. They threw it all in together, and it just looks like a tacky version of what they wear now.

The throwback letters are perfect for royal blue and yellow. Simple, clean, and looks like no other team:

Detroit Tigers v Milwaukee Brewers : News PhotoDetroit Tigers v Milwaukee Brewers : News Photo

The stars of the show here are the bright colors, pinstripes, and logo. The letters are sharp, and complements the look. Cursive script here just isn't necessary, imo. Now if they went with navy and yellow, I would say you could go with the cursive script to liven up the look.

I’ve gotten to see 2 teams today (the Rockies & Brewers) that I rarely watch.

I like Colorado’s away uniforms but I’m not a fan of the solid black socks.  They need a touch of purple to perfect the color distribution.  It’s so nice to see a baseball uniform that isn’t blue or red.  I can even live with the CR cap logo.

I also have an issue with the socks that Mikwaukee wore today.  The “gold” in the socks looked considerably darker than the gold elsewhere in the uniform.  The Brewers uniform isn’t lacking for dark coloring, so the gold really needs to stand out.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I would have liked Brew City.  

Just can’t argue with using the name Milwaukeeans use themselves. 

I would argue that MKE has taken on a... hipstery... connotation, and is used mostly by transplants from the WOW Counties.

Even as a child, I was perplexed when I found out the airport code wasn't MIL. Why MKE? Who the hell is Mike? ?

As for the 90s scripts, I stand by my preference. But even if they brought back the 1982 scripts wholesale, you won't hear any complaints out of me. 

Besides, if they end up winning the World Series or even the NLCS in the retros, you'd kind of have to make them the full time home unis.

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

As for the 90s scripts, I stand by my preference. But even if they brought back the 1982 scripts wholesale, you won't hear any complaints out of me. 

Besides, if they end up winning the World Series or even the NLCS in the retros, you'd kind of have to make them the full time home unis.

I don't know.  I have a feeling we won't see the retro set at all for the playoffs.  Hope I'm wrong.  I have tix for Friday, which is a normal retro night, so we shall see. 

I have major issues with both those scripts. Starting with the fact that the home one is unbalanced and left-heavy.  And the huge white hole in the “B” looks like a target for opposing pitchers to plunk a batter.  And the little vestigial tail!  Besides, what kind of script needs an outline and two drop-shadows?  Just terrible. 

Not to mention that “Milwaukee” script was obviously never intended to be on a uniform, which is why it has that awful blocky shadow between the “w” and “a”. 

The Brewers have never had logos as bad as this.  Even the hand-me-downs from Seattle at least had some proper balance.  These are overly-designed monstrosities, devoid of character, and can’t be replaced soon enough. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I have major issues with both those scripts. Starting with the fact that the home one is unbalanced and left-heavy.  And the huge white hole in the “B” looks like a target for opposing pitchers to plunk a batter.  And the little vestigial tail!  Besides, what kind of script needs an outline and two drop-shadows?  Just terrible. 

Not to mention that “Milwaukee” script was obviously never intended to be on a uniform, which is why it has that awful blocky shadow between the “w” and “a”. 

The Brewers have never had logos as bad as this.  Even the hand-me-downs from Seattle at least had some proper balance.  These are overly-designed monstrosities, devoid of character, and can’t be replaced soon enough. 

Could use some tweaks here and there,  sure.  But It's not THAT bad. 

The current Brewers scripts reflect a dated aesthetic that not even actual beer making companies use anymore. It looks like something picked up at an auction when Applebee's updated their branding. I have no great love for their old looks either, but I will take literally anything that that depressing 2000 mess.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If the Brewers removed the drop-shadows, I think those scripts would both be fine. 

23 minutes ago, msu said:

If the Brewers removed the drop-shadows, I think those scripts would both be fine. 

It would take more than removing a drop-shadow to make this script "fine".

cropped_GettyImages-515634644.jpg?ts=145

Individually, no single problem with the scripts is a huge deal.  But when considered all together, they show what a mess this identity is. 

And if you have to change a whole bunch of things to make a wordmark "fine", then you should probably just change the damn wordmark.

12 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I don't know.  I have a feeling we won't see the retro set at all for the playoffs.  Hope I'm wrong.  I have tix for Friday, which is a normal retro night, so we shall see. 

They wore them for the entire Detroit series based on superstition and won every game.  I'd be surprised if they quit now.

QuXZlNy.png

Just a quick little mock-up. Yeah, these look fine to me. I think the Brewers identity gets more hate than it deserves. If they removed the drop-shadows and didn't have those bad Times New Roman numbers, it wouldn't be a bad look. They'd also have to pick a color scheme whether that is blue/yellow, navy/yellow, or navy/gold -- just pick one and stick with it.

You'll have to fix that target-B and the truncated vestigial tail, and then maybe it'll be approaching "fine".  Would still need re-balancing so it's not so heavy towards the left.

3 minutes ago, msu said:

I think the Brewers identity gets more hate than it deserves. If they removed the drop-shadows and didn't have those bad Times New Roman numbers, it wouldn't be a bad look. They'd also have to pick a color scheme whether that is blue/yellow, navy/yellow, or navy/gold -- just pick one and stick with it.

Sure, if you changed everything about their identity, it wouldn't be so bad.  ? 

Archived