MLB 2019 Changes

11 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

What does waffle top mean?

It’s thermal fabric that has a waffle like insulation pattern on the inside, it creates more surface area for heat to stick onto and radiate back to the body, while being thinner than other fabrics that are meant to be as warm.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is my problem with so many teams who undo and alter changes so soon. Some conviction and pride in your decisions really helps to sell the identity to the public. If you change something a year later it's way harder for people to take any of your changes seriously because it shows indecisiveness and a lack of confidence.

In this case it was merely a cash grab and not going back wouldn't have shown conviction and pride, it would have shown stubbornness at best. As a Tigers fan, I was ready to wear my old Tigers hats for the next 50 years after the change. Now I'll be considering buying new ones when they'll be a bit worn out like I usually do. Coming out with new stuff might normally means more sales but in messing with such a classic the exact opposite happened. People were not jumping on the new ones like they thought would happen and I'm sure a lot were more than ready to wear their old ones until they fell appart so they were better off giving us back what we wanted...

14 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

I'm a big fan of the big D (leave it alone) and while I wasn't bothered before they changed, I'm a little annoyed they are almost going back... Like, why change in the first place if you weren't ready to own it? 

Cause a vast majority of Tigers fans thought it sucked and wouldn't have bought the new ones? Sometimes it's alright to admit that you made a mistake... 

11 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I question the process that led to them enlarging the logo in the first place, but I have more admiration for acknowledging they made a mistake and giving fans what they want instead of stubbornly continuing with a poor decision. Yes, it shows a lack of confidence, but the error is not changing it back but rather changing it in the first place. Teams are much too inclined to change for the sake of change instead of sticking with what's tried and true.

10 hours ago, jp1409 said:

In this case it was merely a cash grab and not going back wouldn't have shown conviction and pride, it would have shown stubbornness at best. As a Tigers fan, I was ready to wear my old Tigers hats for the next 50 years after the change. Now I'll be considering buying new ones when they'll be a bit worn out like I usually do. Coming out with new stuff might normally means more sales but in messing with such a classic the exact opposite happened. People were not jumping on the new ones like they thought would happen and I'm sure a lot were more than ready to wear their old ones until they fell appart so they were better off giving us back what we wanted...

The Tigers changing made me think of what I said but I was thinking of teams in general. I don't mind the Tigers changing the caps again.

But overall when teams go back on changes so quickly it reminds me of how people treat new years resolutions... proclaiming change for a few days and then reverting back within the next month. That or the boy who cried wolf fits too.

The Padres fall into this situation often. 

I think the wisdom is then, know your fanbase, know their tastes, and don't make kneejerk changes just to earn a few extra pennies. When a team changes something quickly, it's almost always because they made a bad decision to begin with. I suppose I just have the opinion that giving fans what they want is always the most lucrative position to take.

I felt this coming 

A Photoshop from last year 

2vnfkmp.jpg

From small D to the then large D, we saw a 50% increase in size. The middle D on the right is a bit more subtle and may be what they are going for now. It's a 25% hypothetical increase. Or what they should've went with.

They literally went from one of the Smallest logos in MLB to one of the largest. There was nothing subtle about. Maybe they go with the middle ground here. 

True. I never saw it as too small. We're talking 1/8ths of inches on a lot of cap differences

This was done in an attempt to take stock images and overlay other logos for comparison. 

mhcdbp.jpg

This was the larger 2018 D. In theory, it's within the same size wheelhouse as a NY logo, and a tad bigger than Boston's B. But there are a few elements like the top and bottom left tips that sort of swing upward and downward, that make it appears larger. Along with the fancy vertical left edge of the D. It's just too much detail on a larger base, making it seem too big.

I think if you were to count it's pixel base/thread count, it would be the largest logo in the league. 

I'm glad they're going back. 

I’m pretty sure the reports said that the Tigers were going back to the smaller cap logo, but it will still be slightly larger than the version they wore in 2017.  Hopefully they hit a nice middle ground.

Just now, bradsbeard said:

The fish only cap looks much better than the M cap and should be the full time cap IMO. 

They are both pretty lousy because of excessive black IMO but I think the fish cap would be my preferred choice if the stitching on both the top and bottom parts of the fish were raised. Right now only the top is embroidered that way and it's very cheap looking.

4 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

They are both pretty lousy because of excessive black IMO but I think the fish cap would be my preferred choice if the stitching on both the top and bottom parts of the fish were raised. Right now only the top is embroidered that way and it's very cheap looking.

New Era essentially does the Clearwater Threshers' logo the same way.  Some may not like it, but I kinda do, and it's even cooler in person.

hwl?set=sku%5B20213252%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

New Era essentially does the Clearwater Threshers' logo the same way.  Some may not like it, but I kinda do, and it's even cooler in person.

hwl?set=sku%5B20213252%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

The application looks slightly better there, but that's probably attributed to the way the logo is designed. I don't think it works for the Marlins logo nearly as much.

14 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Well the reason for that is to give the logo the proper perspective of the top of the logo being infront and not the bottom.

On 12/11/2018 at 2:09 PM, FightingGoldenDevil said:

Not directly uniform related but the Ray's stadium plan has fallen through, making relocation almost guaranteed

Where would they go, though? I've heard San Antonio, Portland, Charlotte, but all of these markets already have well-established minor league teams or are already well within the media market of established major league teams.

I'm assuming the Tigers just thought the D logo tweak would've been less noticed by fans eor something. I can't imagine the size of the logo actually being noticed by too many outside of people like us but I don't live in Michigan to make that judgement but to me it seems like a small detail.

It's not like it was a drastic hat logo and color change like in the mid 90's which I like but I don't really think it should've seen the field outside of ST/BP or as an alternate or something.

phil-nevin-of-the-detroit-tigers-fields-

bSLCtu2.png

3 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I'm assuming the Tigers just thought the D logo tweak would've been less noticed by fans eor something.

Did they make mention of the change, or was it done silently? I recall it being pointed out on these forums, but I don't remember if someone just noticed the change by chance or not.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

Where would they go, though? I've heard San Antonio, Portland, Charlotte, but all of these markets already have well-established minor league teams or are already well within the media market of established major league teams.

Portland is neither.  

But even if it was, when has “a well-established minor league team” ever been a reason to keep MLB out of town?

Archived