MLB 2019 Changes

22 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The Dodgers make it work for some reason. The LA has little relationship with the script Dodgers. 

I think it works partly due to tradition, and also because the white LA is very bold on the Dodger Blue cap. Cleveland’s C can get lost on the hat. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, MattMill said:

Is that like a state licensing thing where it's only happening in the state of OH? I ask because mlbshop had a fire sale on wahoo on-fields a few months back. Some as cheap as $3.99. It's odd they wouldn't just sell the overstock to a OH based outlet to sell to fans there.  Mlbshop has nada wahoo now. But lids continues with various wahoo caps. I wonder if new era will continue having the design in their database.  Mlbshop has pretty much erased wahoo from all current items. So it's interesting hear that they will still have licensed apparel being made and sold, even if it's just the stadium or state of OH. 

The official MLB shop will no longer carry any Wahoo items at all.  My understanding is that national outlets like Lids will sell off their existing stock but won’t get anything new.

Every MLB club gets exclusive items for its own retail outlets, including the ballparks, items that are never sold anywhere else. There’s nothing new about that practice.  Adding Wahoo to the list is partially to retain trademarks that would be harder to maintain if the logo was dropped entirely. I suspect that it’s also about minimizing any potential backlash from fans.  If people from Cleveland can easily pick up a Wahoo cap, they may be less likely to complain about the change.  And it also eliminates the silly “erasing history!” complaint. 

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Adding Wahoo to the list is partially to retain trademarks that would be harder to maintain if the logo was dropped entirely.

This is a big one that the Indians made pretty clear when they announced Wahoo's departure. They made it sound like if they didn't sell some Wahoo merchandise the logo can basically fall in other people's hands and who knows what they can do with it. So, while probably not as serious as they're making it sound, they need to keep selling Wahoo in some form to protect it "from getting loose."

5 hours ago, Olmec said:

It's not though. It's the letter "C" with zero character. No better than the Ray's "TB" which I recall getting slammed by this board when it debuted for how "corporate and lifeless" it looked, along with the other micro communities that pay attention to these things. 

They should have just went with this while they sort their affairs. Yes, it looks like a "J" but looks proprietary, has character, and matches the identity at the very least. 

s-l300.jpg

It is new in the capacity it’s being used in. It has no less detail than the Cubs cap logo, and if you called that boring and lifeless people would be screaming bloody murder. Just because something has more detail to it does not make it a better logo. If we threw some bevelling and serifs on it would instantly make it full of life and character? 

Oakland Athletics to Wear MGM Patch on Uniform

February 26, 2019 - 18:33 PM

When Major League Baseball opens the 2019 regular season in Japan later next month, they’ll do so with advertisements on the uniforms. The Oakland Athletics, the designated home team for the two-game series against the Seattle Mariners, will wear a […]

Read More...

59 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

It is new in the capacity it’s being used in. It has no less detail than the Cubs cap logo, and if you called that boring and lifeless people would be screaming bloody murder. 

Since the Cubs have started using a version of this logo, they have cropped the "c" from it and worn it on their hats. So I would consider their "c" to have character. Now if they were using a Times New Roman "C" I'd criticize them the same way I criticize the Indians. 

q9gvs07u72gc9xr3395u6jh68.pnghwl?set=sku%5B20905547%5D,c%5B2%5D,w%5B4

2 hours ago, Chromatic said:

Just because something has more detail to it does not make it a better logo. If we threw some bevelling and serifs on it would instantly make it full of life and character? 

Yes, yes it does. Please go on an present an example of an arguably "good logo" that utilizes a non-stylized font.

6 hours ago, Olmec said:

They should have just went with this while they sort their affairs. Yes, it looks like a "J" but it looks proprietary, has character, and matches the identity at the very least. 

s-l300.jpg

This is the biggest issue I have with the Block C cap, personal feelings on Chief Wahoo aside. The Block C only matches the wordmark on the road jersey, but looks out of place with the cursive home jersey. Wearing this with a red bill at home keeps the general feel of their previous set and keeps that consistency from hat to jersey. That would work with the red alternate, too, while a blue bill would look good with the blue alternate.

7 hours ago, Olmec said:

It's not though. It's the letter "C" with zero character. No better than the Ray's "TB" which I recall getting slammed by this board when it debuted for how "corporate and lifeless" it looked, along with the other micro communities that pay attention to these things. 

They should have just went with this while they sort their affairs. Yes, it looks like a "J" but it looks proprietary, has character, and matches the identity at the very least. 

s-l300.jpg

People need to stop saying it looks like a "J" because it doesn't. Nobody sees Jndians when they look at the jersey. But I suppose that's what happens when cursive is no longer being taught in schools. 

Go A's!

50 minutes ago, Olmec said:

Yes, yes it does. Please go on an present an example of an arguably "good logo" that utilizes a non-stylized font.

Every logo is stylized. That’s the entire point.  You’re arguing the more intricacies a logo has the better it is, in which case I’ll just show you wingdings and you’ll say it’s the apotheosis of sports fonts.

46 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Every logo is stylized. That’s the entire point.  You’re arguing the more intricacies a logo has the better it is, in which case I’ll just show you wingdings and you’ll say it’s the apotheosis of sports fonts.

Huh? Because I said the Indian's "I" cap logo is better than the "C" cap logo? You completely missed my point. Seems you're just arguing with yourself. 

Just now, DeFrank said:

D0XGxCWXcAAo19y.jpg

More confident than ever in my prediction that a script "Nationals" will appear on the front of the Nats home uniform in 2020 (red with blue trim tho) .

While I love the contrasting front number, and while I applaud the Nationals for wearing their real uniforms in spring training, this...

Image result for washington nationals adam eaton

...is one hell of a beautiful baseball uniform that should not be messed with, except to make the piping red only.  (No, I would not raise the number up.)  The contrast of the home jersey having the chest logo and road jersey having the "Washington" wordmark is very nice, in the classic Yankees / Tigers / Reds tradition.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

30 minutes ago, Olmec said:

Huh? Because I said the Indian's "I" cap logo is better than the "C" cap logo? You completely missed my point. Seems you're just arguing with yourself. 

You pretending you were arguing something completely different when countered is not me “arguing with myself”.

Archived