MLB 2019 Changes

6 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Yes.  The piping works better when it accentuates the design.  Plain piping makes the detailed wordmark or script the focal point, while still adding some nice detail and making it look like a "finished" design.

Except the Nats don’t have a home wordmark or script.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait - isn't the script navy?  I thought other photos showed it as navy. 

The Senators were a red/white team, but the Nationals were more navy.  If they want to be "Nationals", then they should probably stick with that.  

It's like they want to be the Senators, but call themselves the Nationals, creating an identity crisis and resulting in being one color at home and one on the road (though the road has become more consistent with home in recent years.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

32 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Wait - isn't the script navy?  I thought other photos showed it as navy. 

The script is navy on the ST jerseys. The red Nationals script is a prototype from years ago. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, DeFrank said:

The Nats are a red first team and should stay that way. And I’m confident they will.

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

I wanna punch the person that said no to this years ago. Can’t believe it took them till now to finally break these out.

And to get my two cents in on the DC-Curly W debate, I’m going with the Curly W. Yes it looks like Walgreens but it has so much history with DC baseball. I find it a much better logo than the DC. 

The DC logo has a lot going on with the shading. Maybe if they clean it up it could look better but I’d still prefer the Curly W. 

938fc2e233888ffbe04a9de133a59b5b.jpeg

XM4KeeA.png

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

Except the Nats don’t have a home wordmark or script.

Only because of a bad choice on the club's part.  They have a script, an excellent one. 

944430038-atlanta-braves-v-washington-na

That could become their home wordmark with a simple notification to MLB.  And given the positive reception to their ST uniforms, that just may happen.

1 hour ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Are there any merit to this? If it truly was intentional, then wow, kudos. If not, then a happy accident?

What do you think? I think it’s a little of a stretch, but a happy coincidence. 

An obvious stretch.  If that had been intended, they wouldn't have messed up the "p" by putting the line break where they did.

24 minutes ago, insert name said:

I wanna punch the person that said no to this years ago. Can’t believe it took them till now to finally break these out.

And to get my two cents in on the DC-Curly W debate, I’m going with the Curly W. Yes it looks like Walgreens but it has so much history with DC baseball. I find it a much better logo than the DC. 

The DC logo has a lot going on with the shading. Maybe if they clean it up it could look better but I’d still prefer the Curly W. 

938fc2e233888ffbe04a9de133a59b5b.jpeg

This is listed as a current alternate logo on sportslogos.net, which actually surprised me when I researched just now. It isn't really used in many promotional materials that I can think of.

adz8otx6xektaq3eszfoq5ecj.png

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

11 minutes ago, insert name said:

Agreed. The prototype is also better, given that the letters resemble the “Washington” script more.

Well, if you want to count a solitary winning season by the money pit known as the Senators MK II and a bunch of playoff disasters under the current team, then yes, it has history.

If you want to play the “history” argument, a block “W” has more history. Just look at the logos worn by the first and second Senators.

YhnjXrp.jpg

gJZsa9O.jpg

If you want to modernize their “historical” look, an updated Block W (with some elements of Albertus, a lettering for for the 2005-10 Nats) would be perfect (shameless plug).

GkZPspp.jpg

Todd Radom’s “beveled W” would also be fantastic.

4884328110_b5bc594de6_o.jpg

I’ve fixed up the known issues with the DC’s interlock problem as well (ignore the gold outline, if you want to - quite frankly, the Nationals and Twins should swap home uniform color balances).

Muwmum1.jpg

The Nationals have a lot of potential, most of which involves demoting the Curly W to the first letter in the road script.

22 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

adz8otx6xektaq3eszfoq5ecj.png

I really don’t like the way the navy outlines work on this.  They’re obviously a remnant of the beveling, but without it they’re just odd.  Either allow the red letters to fully interact and outline the whole thing, or complete the blue outlines on the right side of the crossing points.  

23 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While I love the contrasting front number, and while I applaud the Nationals for wearing their real uniforms in spring training, this...

Image result for washington nationals adam eaton

...is one hell of a beautiful baseball uniform that should not be messed with, except to make the piping red only.  (No, I would not raise the number up.)  The contrast of the home jersey having the chest logo and road jersey having the "Washington" wordmark is very nice, in the classic Yankees / Tigers / Reds tradition.

I agree with you...not completely, but design-wise, I like most of what the uniform has going on. Took me a trip to the MLB Shop to realize the double piping is a bit trippy to the eyes and everybody knows what's up with that number placement. I don't know...as I'm watching it on TV, it doesn't really irritate me though. I often think I'm just seeing more red in the piping. If I had to make a change to save my life, maybe remove the front number and call it a day, but that's my unpopular opinion for the record.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

I'm sure this has probably been done a hundred times before, but here it goes.

• Modified DC logo (as mentioned above)
  • Modified current primary logo (possible sleeve patch?)seams are from the original Nationals logo
  • Curly W remains because I doubt they'd get rid of it entirely
  • New number font

Wa1vvdd.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Looks like the Brewers have tweaked their alternate navy cap:

Here's the old cap from last year, almost out of stock (only 18 total left) on MLB's online shop:

ff_2659190alt1_full.jpg&w=900

And here's the new one, put up without announcement:

ff_3373836-7ff2ac2e355c74a5640falt1_full

I think the different shade of navy is probably just a trick of the photo, but you can see that the New Era flag is now gold, and - best of all - white webbing!  That's bothered me since the cap was introduced back in 2016.

Now if we can just get Majestic or Nike or whoever to fix the sleeve patch:

636575138507890321-MJS-BREWERS-SPRING-TR

The Brewers still have terrible uniforms, but we can fix them one small step at a time.

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

• Modified current primary logo (possible sleeve patch?)seams are from the original Nationals logo
  • Curly W remains because I doubt they'd get ride of it entirely
  • New number font

Wa1vvdd.png

Replace the DC with the current W, or even the block. Both look 10x better

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

2 hours ago, Survival79 said:

• Curly W remains because I doubt they'd get ride of it entirely
  • New number font

Wa1vvdd.png

These look fantastic!

8 hours ago, DeFrank said:

The Nats are a red first team and should stay that way. And I’m confident they will.

NationalsPrototypeFront.jpg

D0cYu_RUYAAyI16.jpg

D0XGs6sXQAAwujW.jpg

I agree, but it's still a red dominant look overall and the additional navy makes it look better to me. Maybe make the numbers navy and the script red.

10 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

The Orioles have done the MD flag jersey the last two seasons.  I know that last year they wore the black flag jerseys on a Saturday.  Traditionally, Saturday has been the day for orange jerseys, so my assumption is that will be what they will use this year.

Saturday Jun 29 4:05 PM

Cleveland Indians

Giveaway: Orioles Maryland Flag Replica Jersey

Can't wait to see what they will have in store...though I'm honestly worried how it would work in orange. The idea of a script and number filled in the flag pattern like before doesn't look good when I try to picture it in my head. And the flag as a background would be an utter disaster too...

Nonetheless..time will tell

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Archived