MLB 2019 Changes

Something about having "D.C." as the cap monogram when the team goes by Washington doesn't sit right with me. Which is weird because I like Minnesota's TC. I'm not thrilled about the Walgreensyness of the W but it's settled now and it's become distinctive (at least within baseball, if not the wider world). I'd be okay with the DC logo if that was their geographic identifier, though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Digby said:

Something about having "D.C." as the cap monogram when the team goes by Washington doesn't sit right with me. Which is weird because I like Minnesota's TC. I'm not thrilled about the Walgreensyness of the W but it's settled now and it's become distinctive (at least within baseball, if not the wider world). I'd be okay with the DC logo if that was their geographic identifier, though.

People outside the area say "Washington," as in the place where politics happen.  Having grown up in the area, we always said we were going into "DC" instead.  The area at large some are now calling the "DMV" as in District-MD-VA (not to be confused with the dept of motor vehicles😉)

56 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

People outside the area say "Washington," as in the place where politics happen.  Having grown up in the area, we always said we were going into "DC" instead.  The area at large some are now calling the "DMV" as in District-MD-VA (not to be confused with the dept of motor vehicles😉)

I'm aware of that, and that's one reason I'm surprised the W logo caught on as much as it did... but I don't like the mismatch between the team name and the hypothetical monogram. This is one (of the few) thing I like about what D.C. United does.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 2/27/2019 at 11:14 AM, OnWis97 said:

When teams have so many uniforms, they need a mannequin to display the combo of the day...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26075907/meet-mannequin-keeping-nats-endless-uniform-combos-straight

The article says there is no record of any other team doing this before but the 2012 Marlins did it at least for the start of the season. And then the article names players who say they've never seen this done and it includes Anibal Sanchez who was on the 2012 Marlins. Very weird, but here's a pic of the 2012 Marlins mannequins along with an article from the 2012 pre-season mentioning the mannequin...

Image result for marlins 2012 uniforms

He twisted athletic tape into a necklace and draped it over the mannequin displaying the day’s uniform scheme in the middle of the room, saying he wanted to make it look more like Hanley Ramirez.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/04/01/marlins-ballpark-wins-team-loses/

And now that I think about it... why DO the Nationals have 18 possible uniform combos for ST? I know they have multiple caps and jerseys but not "everything" should be available for spring games right? You'd think it would be less possible combos for ST. Maybe the writer just didn't realize that not every combination is actually for spring games.

I love the idea of the Nationals bringing back the DC monogram.  The Twins already proved you don't necessarily need a monogram that reflects the team name as long as it resonates locally; and obviously the DC monogram falls under that category.  More importantly, using "DC" leaves less ambiguity over where the team actually plays.  According to the "misconceptions" thread, I'm apparently not the only one who thought the Washington teams played in the Pacific Northwest once upon a time.

5 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Has there ever been a team in any sport in Washington state that went by "Washington"? To me any team that says Washington is from DC and any team from Washington uses the name of their city like Seattle or Portland. 

Portland is in Oregon but point proven, not once have I ever refered to Washington as just DC, either Washington DC together or, just Washington. If I were to talk ab the state I would say Washington State. I feel like the same thing applies to sports.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

55 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Portland is in Oregon but point proven, not once have I ever refered to Washington as just DC, either Washington DC together or, just Washington. If I were to talk ab the state I would say Washington State. I feel like the same thing applies to sports.

Oh geez my bad with Portland and I'm great at geography. Total brain fart but yes you got my intended point. It's weird how "state" has to be added to Washington for us to know what we're talking about. You would think DC would be the outlier that needs to be thoroughly identified. Maybe over in Washington (state) they see it differently than we do and do the opposite? 

1 hour ago, BellaSpurs said:

I think there is a bit of a regional divide here. In CO, where I'm from, and the rest of the west people say Washington and mean the state. If you're talking about DC I've always called it DC or Washington DC never just Washington. The notable exception to that rule is with sports. When I moved east of the Mississippi I noticed that people switched and Washington was DC and no longer the state. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Has there ever been a team in any sport in Washington state that went by "Washington"?

The Vancouver Warriors of the NLL were the Washington Stealth for a few years (before that, the San Jose Stealth; after that, the Vancouver Stealth).

WashingtonStealth.PNG

45 minutes ago, JTernup said:

I think there is a bit of a regional divide here. In CO, where I'm from, and the rest of the west people say Washington and mean the state. If you're talking about DC I've always called it DC or Washington DC never just Washington. The notable exception to that rule is with sports. When I moved east of the Mississippi I noticed that people switched and Washington was DC and no longer the state.

You're probably right. For me in New York, "Washington" unmodified always means the city (unless context makes a reference to the state perfectly clear).

While I hear other people say "D.C.", I don't think I have ever said that myself. I call the city only  "Washington". And that is what I put on the plaque logo that I made to commemorate my bike ride to that city.

plaque-washington-small.png

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I"ve literally never referred to DC as "Washington" outside of a sports context or at a train station.  It's always "I have to go to DC for work" or "I'm visiting a friend down in DC".  

When I hear it referred to as "Washington", I take that to mean simply the US government, like "Washington's reaction to the attack on Ukraine..."

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I"ve literally never referred to DC as "Washington" outside of a sports context or at a train station.  It's always "I have to go to DC for work" or "I'm visiting a friend down in DC".  

When I hear it referred to as "Washington", I take that to mean simply the US government, like "Washington's reaction to the attack on Ukraine..."

Same here. And I never refer to the teams in DC as Washington. They’re always the Capitals/Caps, Nationals/Nats, Redskins and/or Wizards.

On second thought, I guess that holds true no matter what city/state/regional moniker they have — that’s typically only reserved for college athletics, so Washington is only said when I’m talking about the Huskies. 

All that said, I remember thinking as a child how odd it was to see the Redskins take on the “in-state” Seahawks in the playoffs. Then the announcer mentioned their game earlier that season “in DC,” and my mind was blown.

Pretty much on the same boat as above. In sports, Washington = D.C.

With everything else, when people say "Washington" I automatically know they mean politics and I'm 99% of the time correct but I myself never refer to the area as Washington. I've only ever said D.C. Even when (rarely) talking politics it's always "Those idiots in D.C are doing [whatever]".

When talking about the state, I've always refer to it as "Washington State". 

XM4KeeA.png

I feel like the “nobody calls it Washington” discussion is right up there with “patriots shouldn’t wear red” and mallrats quotes as the most repeated things on this forum.  Proud to say I contribute to each one. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Interesting placement for the Frank Robinson patch on the Orioles’ orange jersey, which features the spring training patch on the sleeve. The home white jersey doesn’t have the spring training patch, so the 20 is on the sleeve — where it’ll be across every jersey during the regular season:

Obviously I know now that "Washington" refers to "DC" in the pro sports world, now.  But with baseball depending upon a localized fanbase more than pretty much every other sport, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for the Nationals to wear a monogram that represents the city they actually play in.

spacer.png

32 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Obviously I know now that "Washington" refers to "DC" in the pro sports world, now.  But with baseball depending upon a localized fanbase more than pretty much every other sport, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world for the Nationals to wear a monogram that represents the city they actually play in.

spacer.png

Well Washington is the name of the city, it is in the District of Columbia, so curly W is more fitting based on your post.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

Well Washington is the name of the city, it is in the District of Columbia, so curly W is more fitting based on your post.

"DC" is way less ambiguous than "W." And the Nationals "W" apparently makes people think of Walgreens more than anything.

I’m a big fan of the DC logo/cap, but outside mascot logos, has a team ever had a cap logo that is not either representative of the team name city, nickname, or both? They are the WASHINGTON Nationals after all. 

Edit: That was their primary cap. The DC cap was an alt. 

Archived