MLB 2019 Changes

4 minutes ago, Wally1912 said:

Interestingly, Dee Gordon wore Twin City Knitting 2-n-1 stirrups with a traditional 3-stripe design. Pitcher Matt Festa wore real stirrups which were plain royal blue.spacer.png

Three out of four of these men know how to wear a baseball uniform.  They look like m-f-ing baseball players.

The other guy looks like a goofball, and shouldn't be allowed on the field. I wish some team would come up with rules on appropriate dress.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wally1912 said:

Interestingly, Dee Gordon wore Twin City Knitting 2-n-1 stirrups with a traditional 3-stripe design. Pitcher Matt Festa wore real stirrups which were plain royal blue.spacer.png

Yeah the Mariners've gotta sync up their socks and stirrups. 

Gordon was wearing these navy and white northwestern striped stirrups the other day :

spacer.png

I'm used to seeing their socks with teal stripes. Did they change the socks, or is it another incongruency between the M's socks and stirrups? There're some plain navy socks above as well. 

spacer.png

On 3/31/2019 at 12:13 PM, hofflalu said:

Yes, I do believe it's the first non-throwback powder blue road full uniform in any capacity (regular road or alternate) since the 1991 Expos and Royals.  So, in a way, yesterday was kind of a milestone in road uniforms.  Of course, if/when a team goes regular with road powder blues, that will be a bigger deal than a Saturday-only road uni that'll get worn fewer than 10 times this season.

For what it's worth, I thought they looked good.  Of course, if you look at my post history, you can see I'm a fan of powder blue roads, so I'm biased. 🙂  However, I think the concept works in a non-pullover/sansabelt/form-fitting uniform setting.  The color contrast of the light blue with the red and even some of the yellow worked to my eyes.  I did spend a good amount of the game (I'm in Wisconsin, so I was able to watch the game on Fox Sports Wisconsin like every Brewers game) trying to soak in the different angles, and it is still a bit of an adjustment seeing a team on the road nowadays not wearing grey and/or a solid-color alternate, but I think they're fine.  I do wonder, though, if some of those teams more-associated with the color -- the Royals, the Blue Jays, the Brewers, the Rays -- were keeping an eye on yesterday's game (and levels of online reaction, besides their own in-house focus grouping) to see if they could look good pulling off something similar full-time or as an alternate.

On 3/31/2019 at 3:00 PM, 8BW14 said:

Yeah I think you’re right about those other teams being able to pull it off. They are all way more closely associated with powder blue than the Cardinals, IMO. I could see any of those clubs rolling with a full-time powder blue road uniform and looking really good while doing it. I think powder blue or any full color uniform can work in the right situation. The red caps with the powder blue is garish and is best left in the 80’s where it belongs. The Cardinals aesthetic is way too traditional for powder blue to be a part of their brand.

I keep saying, there's one Missouri team and one NL Central team that should be in powder blue, and neither one is the Cardinals.

It's funny you should say the Cardinals are too traditional to pull off powder blue, because the powder blue tops (and pullover tops in general) that I like the most still adhere to traditional baseball design apart from the color.  But I think the Cardinals aesthetic is rooted in a little too much history to ever look "right" in powder blue.  It's like seeing the Yankees in that color.

21 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I thought I disliked this until I saw the Marlins doing this on Saturday. Their new scheme is black, light blue, and red... on Saturday they wore their black jerseys, Martin Prado had a red arm sleeve, Miguel Rojas had a blue arm sleeve... together I thought it looked good. Not every team but I think some teams can get away with multiple colored accessories in the same game...

Image result for martin prado 2019

Image result for martin prado 2019

Probably because the colors are so lacking in the actual uniform, you're just happy to see them anywhere. Even scattered out on different players. Better than nothing.

4 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

I feel like the road alt would be better if it had the sleeve and collar piping like the rest of the jerseys.

I agree. And actually, I'd say revert to the previous navy jersey with "Indians" on it and just have the red and navy alts be color swapped. And i'm saying this as someone who loves their road uniforms, loves the basic block in navy trimmed in red and loves the block C with no white outline. But you lose that on the alts when "Cleveland" is outlined in white. THAT does look generic. At the very least, add gray piping back. Preferably, bring back the navy Indians alt.

22 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Why are those jerseys cream to begin with? The color scheme is like the Pilots and the early years of the Mariners and to the best of my knowledge none of those teams wore cream so this is cream to imitate something old when it has no purpose.

Did the Mariners invent (CFCS) Cream For Cream's Sake?

Only the original 16 teams are entitled to wear cream sets. Mariners aren't as vintage as they think 

1 hour ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Well, it’s automatically better than 2018 which isn't hard to do. It's decent. Probably the better WS logo in recent years.

I miss the globe and autumn leaves. They should bring those back especially the globe. It is called the WORLD Series after all. 

XM4KeeA.png

Archived