MLB 2019 Changes

Also, is it possible that some of these uniforms were actually white when they were on the field, but yellowed into cream over time?

Either way, in their effort to trot out a uniform that would be way more appropriate for the Brewers, they're slowly trending towards a Brewers-esque dilution of their brand.  Only the current Brewers brand has far outlived its relevance... that's not the case with the Mariners.  They were arguably the best of all the 90s rebrands (it's between them and the White Sox IMO).  What's so hard about wearing actual throwbacks when they feel a need to acknowledge their pre-90s history?

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, MJD7 said:

That honestly looks very throwback cream to me at least.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I'm always wary of relying too much on individual photos.  This jersey is from after that one.

96860a_lg.jpeg

Yeah, it’s probably a mix of lighting and fabric care that threw me off. I just saw the off-white as a bit darker than it probably is.

Still, royal/yellow doesn’t look good when paired with off-white, especially with a wordmark as complex/over-detailed as the Mariners’ one. 

7 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Also, is it possible that some of these uniforms were actually white when they were on the field, but yellowed into cream over time?

Either way, in their effort to trot out a uniform that would be way more appropriate for the Brewers, they're slowly trending towards a Brewers-esque dilution of their brand.  Only the current Brewers brand has far outlived its relevance... that's not the case with the Mariners.  They were arguably the best of all the 90s rebrands (it's between them and the White Sox IMO).  What's so hard about wearing actual throwbacks when they feel a need to acknowledge their pre-90s history?

The Mariners probably wanted to “preserve familiarity” with their fauxbacks by using the modern wordmarks and logos in a sloppy recoloring job. You can’t really make a creme version of the 1977-80 uniforms without it looking disjointed (more so than the modern look).

Also the Mariners’ double outlines, while decent in theory (the dark teal was near-invisible when touching navy), look terrible in execution. A mint-green teal would improve things, as would a color rebalancing.

rmLOqOn.png.bbf58092b8281a8eb27051fa367f

Now isn’t that much less dreary? The Friz Quatrata is still a bit dated, but it’s staying power is still there.

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here are the supposed leaked 4th of July Caps for this season. The majority feature Throwback logos such as the Twins M logo, the Indians 1970's C Logo, the Mariners Trident Logo, the Angels Lowercase a Logo, and more: https://uni-watch.com/2019/04/01/video-game-leaks-reveal-mlb-stars-stripes-cap-designs/

da0Lbhs.png

1 hour ago, simtek34 said:

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here are the supposed leaked 4th of July Caps for this season. The majority feature Throwback logos such as the Twins M logo, the Indians 1970's C Logo, the Mariners Trident Logo, the Angels Lowercase a Logo, and more: https://uni-watch.com/2019/04/01/video-game-leaks-reveal-mlb-stars-stripes-cap-designs/

It's sad to me that many of these logos have not been prominent enough as throwbacks or TBTC , yet they're taking this opportunity to use them on these 4th of July caps. A bit of a slap in the face dishonoring these rarely used logos. 

The M twins was recreated two years back and used for a few games. But beyond that, and since it's retirement in 2012, it's rarely used. And now it's on a hideous on field? The hiedous to regular ratio is favoring the hiedous. That should never happen. 

The Braves have some new socks which are really more of a throwback than anything else. I love them. Wish they were adopted by the entire squad. This is the “classic Braves look” to me.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Even the Atlanta Black Crackers wore the same socks. It’s definitely a Braves (spanning their time from Boston to Milwaukee, and present day Atlanta) and Atlanta (Braves and Black Crackers) baseball classic.

spacer.png

For comparison, here is last year’s generic design:

spacer.png

Phillies new road jerseys with thin outline look pretty good tonight. 

There seems to be something a little different about the chain stitching, but I can't really tell what.  I wonder if it's now stitched directly into the jersey rather than just into the white patch that served as the outline.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Phillies new road jerseys with thin outline look pretty good tonight. 

There seems to be something a little different about the chain stitching, but I can't really tell what.  I wonder if it's now stitched directly into the jersey rather than just into the white patch that served as the outline.

It looks less poofier then it did last year and seems thinner again like how it was before a few years ago.

Looks much better imo.

Oh man - it looks like there’s actually a GRAY outline around the white - and it stands out against the gray fabric. Why the F would they need to do that??

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Brewers wore colored tops again tonight. Unless I'm mistaken, the only time this season that they haven't worn these or the yellow-gold trimmed "Milwaukee" scripts was opening day.

Frankly, I'm here for this. If we must gut out another season of this moldy a-- brand, this is the way to do it. I. At least the blue tops obscure some of the problems with the scripts, which are even more apparent on the regular home white and road grey. Especially now without even so much as a pant stripe to draw attention away. 

20190402-201232.jpg

19 minutes ago, NicDB said:

The Brewers wore colored tops again tonight. Unless I'm mistaken, the only time this season that they haven't worn these or the yellow-gold trimmed "Milwaukee" scripts was opening day.

The Brewers haven't worn their athletic-gold trimmed navy yet.  But you're mostly right - one game in home whites, one in throwback pins, and the rest in their navy "Brewers" jersey. 

Game 1: home whites

D2xpQZhWsAAlPsZ.jpg

Game 2: throwback pinstripes

D24K_AhXcAEuBjZ.jpg

Game 3: standard navy alt

D29Epp2WoAA4Iqp?format=jpg&name=medium

Game 4: standard navy alt

D3BI_u3XcAARM1T.jpg

Game 5: standard navy alt

D3HYr-MX4AEy2xP.jpg

Game 6: standard navy alt

D3McGyGXsAANiRi.jpg

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, it’s probably a mix of lighting and fabric care that threw me off. I just saw the off-white as a bit darker than it probably is.

Still, royal/yellow doesn’t look good when paired with off-white, especially with a wordmark as complex/over-detailed as the Mariners’ one. 

The Mariners probably wanted to “preserve familiarity” with their fauxbacks by using the modern wordmarks and logos in a sloppy recoloring job. You can’t really make a creme version of the 1977-80 uniforms without it looking disjointed (more so than the modern look).

Also the Mariners’ double outlines, while decent in theory (the dark teal was near-invisible when touching navy), look terrible in execution. A mint-green teal would improve things, as would a color rebalancing.

rmLOqOn.png.bbf58092b8281a8eb27051fa367f

Now isn’t that much less dreary? The Friz Quatrata is still a bit dated, but it’s staying power is still there.

I’ve always felt the Mariners should lighten the teal and go to teal wordmarks, names, and numbers outlined in navy. Bring back the teal brimmed hat to wear full time paired with navy socks. It’d be similar to the Orioles with orange and black.

On 4/1/2019 at 9:00 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Image result for martin prado 2019

Image result for martin prado 2019

Apparently there are now two helmet models being used at the same time. I only watch the Braves and they've only used the helmet model Prado is wearing. The design Rojas is wearing is new and I've seen a few other teams (noticed Greinke was wearing one with the Diamondbacks last night) using it.

EDIT: in addition to the indentions in the helmet, it appears there are more vent holes.

On 4/1/2019 at 3:46 PM, Gothamite said:

That’s the MLB Style Guide graphic. 

The Dressed to the Nines book used a different, hand-drawn, representation.  And I’m not sure Uni Watch has ever had a stock unifom figure. 

Thanks for the clarification but my point still stands, it's a generic figure. Should have had actual human Reds players modeling the uniforms instead. It looks like whoever designed that just did a cut and paste job off the style guide.

12 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Thanks for the clarification but my point still stands, it's a generic figure. Should have had actual human Reds players modeling the uniforms instead. It looks like whoever designed that just did a cut and paste job off the style guide.

I actually kinda dig the style guide figures used. The uniforms are probably not all manufactured yet so probably no time to get a photoshoot with real players.

The Giants frustrate me this year. Not just with the on the field play, I expected that. It appears to me that some players have full matte helmets while others have more of a satin look. Really confused. I thought maybe just Parra was exception because he has pine tar all on his helmet which give a glossy look to it. But it appears other players have more of a satin finish while others like Crawford have full on matte.

Archived