MLB 2019 Changes

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

The first cap in the modern era to violate the “button must match a contrasting bill” rule.  Would look great with an orange button, but not with navy. 

Is this modern era?

spacer.png

Horribly unpopular opinion, I'm sure...I kinda liked this hat. Very 90s. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Is this modern era?

spacer.png

I think that angels branding as a whole isn’t much better then the mess then have right now. Love the doubles blues tbh

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

23 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Any guess on who will be Nike’s MLB guinea pig? Obvious guess would be Seattle, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

San Diego? 

They have a robust uniform history, and with brown returning, who knows what we'll get

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Is this modern era?

spacer.png

That's the best the Angels have ever looked. Every other identity of theirs is lifeless and generic 

5 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

The Pirates are wearing their gold jersey/black pants uniform today, so we got have a neat little battle of the condiments in Pittsburgh.

I get there’s history and sentimentality behind this Pirates throwback, but it’s still awfully ugly and I wish they’d get rid of it. It’s much better left in 1979. If they want a World Series nod throwback, the 1960 or 1971 sets are much better uniforms by a country mile in my opinion.

LATE EDIT: Just realized it’s the 40th anniversary of the ‘79 team, so I guess it makes sense to keep wearing it this year. But scrap it after the end of this season and go ‘60 or ‘71 instead, please! :P 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, swisherHOU said:

The Astros wore the all blue hats again, this time ditching the orange crown and blue bill hat.

As of right now they are a one hat team.

spacer.png

Also of note is that those are new socks for them this year.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Is this modern era?

spacer.png

I think the modern Angels are a modern classic and would be perfect with no changes henceforth.

But I never had a problem with the "Disney" Angels and think the look is being wasted by not being part of one of their farm clubs.

11 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Also of note is that those are new socks for them this year.

As far as I know these are the Sunday Stance socks this year. So, unfortunately, we’ll only see them during Sunday home games.

I don’t know what the rules are but I would love to see them be adopted by the players and worn all the time.

14 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Is this modern era?

spacer.png

Thank you.  I was less than precise. 

The Astros cap was the first in modern history to match the button to the crown, not to the contrasting brim (it might even have been the first in MLB history, period). A style New Era now applies to all manner of caps, even throwbacks.  

9 minutes ago, swisherHOU said:

As far as I know these are the Sunday Stance socks this year. So, unfortunately, we’ll only see them during Sunday home games.

I don’t know what the rules are but I would love to see them be adopted by the players and worn all the time.

I think looking at teams like the A’s where you can find 5 different socks at any game means there are no rules regarding socks 

18 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Any guess on who will be Nike’s MLB guinea pig? Obvious guess would be Seattle, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

17 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

San Diego? 

They have a robust uniform history, and with brown returning, who knows what we'll get

Please let one of them be Milwaukee, as they have no freakin' idea on what identity they want

The Reds broke with protocol late last season for the first time and wore the red shirts on the road in Chicago. I liked it better when that jersey was reserved for sunday home day games. Made it feel more special. Now they're just a "wear the alternate whenever you feel like it team" like so many others. The only place they seem to be holding firm is the white jerseys for night home games thing, but even that's been broken a few times. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Reds broke with protocol late last season for the first time and wore the red shirts on the road in Chicago. I liked it better when that jersey was reserved for sunday home day games. Made it feel more special. Now they're just a "wear the alternate whenever you feel like it team" like so many others. The only place they seem to be holding firm is the white jerseys for night home games thing, but even that's been broken a few times. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate alternates that are worn with no logic. This is why I like teams like the Royals: they have a day home alternate and a road home alternate. Otherwise, it's white and gray. No question when their alternates will be worn, you can look at their schedule and figure it out. This is what the Lakers used to do: white jerseys for Sunday home games. I dislike any other system: chosen by the starting pitcher, worn just because, and so on. I always feel if you are going to wear alternates, make it clear to fans when and why those alternates will be worn.

22 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Good.  I hate that cap. 

spacer.png

The first cap in the modern era to violate the “button must match a contrasting bill” rule.  Would look great with an orange button, but not with navy. 

As an Astros fan, I do not hate this cap, and I prefer it to be worn somewhere with some jersey (home, road, alternate orange jersey, alternate blue jersey, whatever), anywhere instead of all navy, all the time.

As of right now they are a one hat team.

The Astros have not totally phased out this cap because they wore it in the third game of the season at Tampa Bay (see the photo in the story below).

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Houston-Astros-Tampa-Bay-Rays-McHugh-game-recap-13729403.php

But it would be awesome if they stuck with it on the road or at home. I'm a fan of a separate cap for road and home when you don't have a deep uniform tradition.

I think it's ridiculous this cap does not have an orange squatchee (the orange cap with the blue bill also does not have a blue squatchee and it should, too). But the lack of match to the bill does not render this cap useless, and I'd prefer to see it more than once a road trip.

If early returns are accurate, the Indians will likely have a red primary home jersey and a navy primary road jersey, with white and grey alternates.

I'm on the fence about a lot of the Tribe's changes for this year.

Red jersey is neat and a change of pace, but something just feels off about it. That was weird to me, because the mid-'70s red jerseys may be my favorite in the club history, at least when worn with white pants. I think I finally figured it out this weekend.

Overall, that set had great color balance moving from one element to the other. There's a solid amount of navy on the jersey to tie in with the cap, but white is the main secondary color on the jersey. That definitely eases the transition into the white pants, as seen below.

8706a7a08eb7d94531ec08dee5a8cee9.jpg

Contrast that to the Indians' new red jerseys, where there's very little white until you get to the pants, which creates a little more jarring of a shift:

5ca958067b031431d2595b5a

I'm not really sure that white lettering on this jersey style would be an improvement anyway -- it would probably be too white-heavy in that world -- but I think that's what's been bugging me.

Other Indians thoughts:

• I think the block C at home looks better than Wahoo ever did
  • I miss the red undershirts, belts, socks, etc. on the home jersey, though, which feels a little dull now
  • Tribe should wear the red-billed hat on the road and make the lettering red, outlined in white, not the other way around
  • New blue jersey is awful; it's both plain and doesn't match the cap

6fQjS3M.png

20 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I've got a feeling that Texas might be willing to make a somewhat significant change. With Beltre retiring, a lot of young guys coming up, and a new ballpark, they seem to be in the perfect spot to overhaul.

Y'all know this is just my opinion, right?

9 hours ago, Quillz said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I hate alternates that are worn with no logic. This is why I like teams like the Royals: they have a day home alternate and a road home alternate. Otherwise, it's white and gray. No question when their alternates will be worn, you can look at their schedule and figure it out. This is what the Lakers used to do: white jerseys for Sunday home games. I dislike any other system: chosen by the starting pitcher, worn just because, and so on. I always feel if you are going to wear alternates, make it clear to fans when and why those alternates will be worn.

Cardinals have a schedule too:

cream alts for Saturday home games

powder blue jerseys for Saturday road games - new for this year.

bid hat for Sunday home games

navy hat against other red hat teams on the road for contrast

So other than Saturdays, you’re getting white or gray. 

I believe the Orioles have a schedule too. They only wear alts on Friday’s. Black at home Orange on the road.

I know the Mariners only wear the teal on home fridays and the fauxback on sundays, but I think it’s a free for all with the navy road alt.

Archived