MLB 2019 Changes

I like the richer red and I'm okay with the darker blue, It seems to me that the "slant of the bat" thing was made up by marketing after the fact as some kind of contrived "everything is inspired by patriotism and baseball" schtick, because the only thing that mildly mirrors the bat is the slants in the M seemingly being at the same angle. It's not like the L and B have anything that is slanted.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is this actually seen/shown? I didn’t even realize they changed it in 1992. Is it just  graphical package change for print and electronic media?

I know the back of their caps back in 1992, many teams went with red/white/blue batterman. Eventually most teams went with team colors. So maybe that’s why I have never noticed this change. 

2 hours ago, RichO said:

Since the black jerseys get so much use, just making a black with the script Chicago just seems like a fair concession to reality. 

I wouldn't hate that!

The SOX monogram (is it a monogram, technically not right?) seems essential to the white pinstripes jersey but not so much on the black one.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, McCall said:

The pinstripes on the Rockies home uniforms are purple.

Huh. Always looked black to me but you’re right. Well then purple letters would be fine. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, Digby said:

I mostly agree except that the White Sox have that beautiful "Chicago" script that deserves more airtime than it gets. Maybe they can lease it to the Bulls.

Since they wear the black on the road so much, why not just add the Chicago script to them?

8 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

See, I've written about this before, but my belief when it comes to road uniforms in particular is that the "protocol" for them developed in an era that we can't relate to in the modern day. Sanitary socks were worn because if Ty Cobb spiked you wearing colored socks, with the materials of the day, you could get poisoned from them. Gray uniforms were the choice of road color because washing facilities weren't so ubiquitous and gray hides grime and schmutz well. 

The first team to wear colored uniforms for a World Series game? The New York Giants...in 1905. Even worse, they only wore them in the World Series, not at any point in the regular season! Imagine something like that happening today, huh? Many people (legitimately; this isn't a "right vs. wrong" situation) get annoyed to see alternates worn in the playoffs to begin with; imagine breaking out an alternate for the first time on the grand stage, eh? My point is - I don't mind the concept of teams not just wearing colored uniforms but embracing them, because times have changed from what necessited original norms, and that despite that colored uniforms can be found all the way back to nearly the inception of the World Series itself. 

Now, I have some personal preferences of my own, namely, in that I think that white and gray pants are the best way forward because, unlike in football, colored pants don't seem to translate as well to baseball uniforms (though maybe it would be different if everyone wore high socks with a contrasting sock color, but that's simply not gonna happen so we have to work with what we've got). I also prefer teams wearing white jerseys at home, in general, though that's not a hard-and-fast preference. But for road uniforms? The Marlins used to wear their black jerseys all the time on the road, and it seems like the White Sox are doing that this year. You know what? I've always felt the White Sox had the best colored jersey in the league, so if they want to wear them as their de facto road primary, go right ahead. I would like to see them wearing their standard home uniform at Comiskey The Cell  home more, but the gray jersey is clearly the most boring of the three, so it should really be treated as such.

If the Sox are going to use their black jersey as a full time road I'm fine with that. Just get some black pants to match. Proportionally, I think baseball uniforms look best when the jersey and pants are the same color. 

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

If the Sox are going to use their black jersey as a full time road I'm fine with that. Just get some black pants to match. Proportionally, I think baseball uniforms look best when the jersey and pants are the same color. 

I dunno. Black jersey, gray pants. Sounds similar to something one NFL teams and is universally considered to be a "classic" look. Maybe you could do black pants if you mandated them to be worn knee-high and the White Sox would wear, you know, white socks, but most players just don't like wearing their pants that high these days. Which is a shame, because sock design can really make a uniform click on another level, but unless MLB were to stipulate a change there, it's just not something we can count on incorporating into any desired designs. 

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I dunno. Black jersey, gray pants. Sounds similar to something one NFL teams and is universally considered to be a "classic" look. 

Yeah but football has entirely different aesthetic. Grey jersey and grey pants in football is generally not considered to be a good look. 

It works better with the White Sox because grey/silver is an actual team color but generally the baseline maxim is that baseball uniforms are supposed to have rotational symmetry. 

Proportionally, think of Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. If you have the players arms and legs extended so they form a circle centered on the navel with a smaller circle encompassing the knees and elbows: everything beyond the elbow and knee joints are a team color (this extends to the cap); everything inside the inner circle is white, grey, or another single color; and the belt at the navel in the very center is the same color as the socks, sleeves, and cap. 

See how that matches up with this classic of Ernie Banks.

PefV4ZQ.jpg07e77ad318dd2ea8e8aaf3e730aca43e.jpg

8 hours ago, Digby said:

The SOX monogram (is it a monogram, technically not right?) 

I would not say so.  

Yes, the letters are interlocking, but “monogram” usually refers to connected initials, not full words.  

If anything, I’d say it is a wordmark that is compact enough to simultaneously be a logo. 

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I would not say so.  

Yes, the letters are interlocking, but “monogram” usually refers to connected initials, not full words.  

If anything, I’d say it is a wordmark that is compact enough to simultaneously be a logo. 

"Insignia" is the word I've taken to using to refer to these types of designs.

23 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Proportionally, think of Da Vinci's Vitruvian Man. If you have the players arms and legs extended so they form a circle centered on the navel with a smaller circle encompassing the knees and elbows: everything beyond the elbow and knee joints are a team color (this extends to the cap); everything inside the inner circle is white, grey, or another single color; and the belt at the navel in the very center is the same color as the socks, sleeves, and cap. 

See how that matches up with this classic of Ernie Banks.

PefV4ZQ.jpg07e77ad318dd2ea8e8aaf3e730aca43e.jpg

Jesus :censored:ing Christ, Ernie. Perfection REQUIRES that your pants are at your KNEES, not your shins, and your sleeves should be at your elbow joints! YOU'RE A :censored:ING MESS, ERNIE.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

On 4/22/2019 at 8:44 PM, Marlins93 said:

The Rockies don't need a full rebrand. Their alternates and road grays are completely fine. I would just try to improve upon their primary & cap logos and add some more purple to the home whites. Keep the pinstripes, but a new font for the wordmark would be fine too. I just can't imagine a green/purple combo working for them.

I admire the Rockies for sustaining the same general aesthetic since their inaugural season. Is it the best in MLB? Of course not, but it's much better than what the other three 90s expansion teams are wearing at the moment. And those three have all undergone several major rebrands in the interim. The Rockies have sustained a classic look and beat them all.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I think the Dbacks finally nailed it.  I love that the dbacks added teal/turquoise to the red and black.  I would be in favor of dropping the primary home and road unis and make the teal accented ones the primaries for home and road.  I also love the re addition of the snakehead with the ball in the mouth.  

8 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

This might be an unpopular opinion but I think the Dbacks finally nailed it.  I love that the dbacks added teal/turquoise to the red and black.  I would be in favor of dropping the primary home and road unis and make the teal accented ones the primaries for home and road.  I also love the re addition of the snakehead with the ball in the mouth.  

I like some aspects of their identity, but hate much of it. The worst elements are the dark gray road uniforms, the fake scales gradients on the sides, backs, and shoulders. It's a bold look, I suppose, but not suited for MLB. It's the type of design I'd expect from an arena football team. They also have way too many jerseys...6 I believe in circulation.

I have a hunch that one or more of the people involved with the D-Backs rebranding had some hand in the Marlins' new look. The color schemes are somewhat similar, although the D-Backs use more of a teal-like color. I actually prefer Arizona's color scheme much more than Miami's, but the execution is a bit too over the top whereas the Marlins is frustratingly understated.

I find this cap to be gorgeous, however, and wish that the Marlins had expressed their "colores" in such a balanced and vibrant manner instead of the black blob they currently have:

ff_2659194alt3_full.jpg&w=900

9 hours ago, Dodgeryaqui8016 said:

21 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I like some aspects of their identity, but hate much of it. The worst elements are the dark gray road uniforms, the fake scales gradients on the sides, backs, and shoulders. It's a bold look, I suppose, but not suited for MLB. It's the type of design I'd expect from an arena football team. They also have way too many jerseys...6 I believe in circulation.

I have a hunch that one or more of the people involved with the D-Backs rebranding had some hand in the Marlins' new look. The color schemes are somewhat similar, although the D-Backs use more of a teal-like color. I actually prefer Arizona's color scheme much more than Miami's, but the execution is a bit too over the top whereas the Marlins is frustratingly understated.

I find this cap to be gorgeous, however, and wish that the Marlins had expressed their "colores" in such a balanced and vibrant manner instead of the black blob they currently have:

ff_2659194alt3_full.jpg&w=900

Diamondbacks have EIGHT uniforms

-Home
-Road
-Home with teal trim
-Road with teal trim
-Black "A" Alternate
-Red "Dbacks" Alternate
-Black "Los Dbacks" Alternate
-Pinstripe throwback

Personally I like the accents done to the uniforms, even if it is minor league-ish.  I'm also a fan of the hat pictured above. The team may have gone on overkill having 5 different caps when the new look was rolled out for the 2016 season but I think they nailed it when it was dropped from 5 hats to 3 the next season.

15 hours ago, tohasbo said:

Diamondbacks have EIGHT uniforms

-Home
-Road
-Home with teal trim
-Road with teal trim
-Black "A" Alternate
-Red "Dbacks" Alternate
-Pinstripe throwback

Personally I like the accents done to the uniforms, even if it is minor league-ish.  I'm also a fan of the hat pictured above. The team may have gone on overkill having 5 different caps when the new look was rolled out for the 2016 season but I think they nailed it when it was dropped from 5 hats to 3 the next season.

I would keep these ones and throw the rest in the trash;

Home with teal trim
-Road with teal trim
-Red "Dbacks" Alternate
-Pinstripe throwback

Maybe I would minimize a little bit of the snake skin on the teals and maybe lighten the grey a little bit.  After that I think it would be perfect. 

Archived