MLB Statement Series by Pinch Designer (Tigers 4/15)

coco1997

On 10/9/2019 at 8:35 PM, coco1997 said:

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all enjoying the MLB postseason. Picking up where we left off last year with our MLB City Edition series, @Paul Lucas, @Carolingian Steamroller, @Victormrey@MJD7 and I return with another collaboration, this one inspired by the NBA's Statement Edition uniforms, first introduced for the 2017-18 season. This project is similar in spirit to that series in that we've looked to each Major League Baseball team's unique visual history and combined elements from local culture in order to produce new designs that we hope each team's fanbase would instantly embrace. I'll start today with the California Angels Anaheim Angels Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim:

Upon visiting Angels Stadium for the first time a few weeks ago, l was surprised to learn the much-maligned-on-these-boards Disney era Angels gear is actually a favorite among fans of a certain age! For that reason, I decided to lean into that for my design but with a twist, using the color scheme of the '90s era Mighty Ducks. C&C appreciated! 

Angels-2-0.png

I really like this - the colors, and the old Angels' number font. I was thinking silver should be added, but I have no idea where to put it. 

My only suggestion would be to have the hat as eggplant and jade, without the white panel. The white logo on white panel just looks odd. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

I hope this post comes the day before they lose Game 1 and the rest of the Series. #YesImBitter#BSstrikeoutCalls

#imalsobitter #amenbrother

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

Some interest details about the Reds. 

Since the Reds shifted to the 3D-style primary logo in 1999, they've included 3D/drop shadow numbers. The late-90's uniforms used block font and the current ones use fancy 19th century looking font. 

f4155309ed63e9d8ef4b968130221762.jpgjoey-votto-is-very-disappointed-with-the

However, if you look closely, you'll see the number style is much different from the primary crest. The numbers both have a white outline on a red number with a black drop shadow. The crest, has the drop shadow on the "C" with no outline and the logo is ensconced in a flat, colored backdrop. So the way to make the numbers line up with the crest, is to apply the shadow to the number and THEN put the whole number onto a backdrop. 

As a bonus, any uniform where the Reds make a statement has to include the 1936 style red pants. I've also tweaked the crest to remove some unnecessary serifs. To balance all the red, I've made black more prominent as a trim color while trying to avoid going full 90's BFBS. C&C as always. Enjoy.

quBnhoH.png

Love that look for the Reds! While I prefer the Reds be a strictly red & white team, this goes to show that black can be a very effective accent color. 

On 10/22/2019 at 9:27 AM, WSU151 said:

I really like this - the colors, and the old Angels' number font. I was thinking silver should be added, but I have no idea where to put it. 

My only suggestion would be to have the hat as eggplant and jade, without the white panel. The white logo on white panel just looks odd. 

Here are the Angels with a solid eggplant colored cap:

Angels-purple-front-panel.png

Moving up North to Wisconsin!

The Milwaukee Brewers have one of the more unique identities in the Majors. It's not only a distinctive name and branding, but it's also strongly linked to the city of Milwaukee, its community and the famous local brewing industry.

Therefore, beer has to be the element this concept focus on. At first, I thought about using a semi-realistic beer glass look for the design, but it looked to close to those gimmicky uniforms you can see from time to time in the MiLB. That's why in the end I decided to go for a more simplistic look, using just off-white and atheltic gold to mimmick the beverage look, partly inspired by the USMNT "popsicle" away kit. I've also decided to use the "Brew Crew" wordmark, often used by ballboys and other team staff, to complete the link between the design and the beer inspiration:

8v6Ly6L.png

On 10/26/2019 at 4:47 PM, Victormrey said:

Moving up North to Wisconsin!

The Milwaukee Brewers have one of the more unique identities in the Majors. It's not only a distinctive name and branding, but it's also strongly linked to the city of Milwaukee, its community and the famous local brewing industry.

Therefore, beer has to be the element this concept focus on. At first, I thought about using a semi-realistic beer glass look for the design, but it looked to close to those gimmicky uniforms you can see from time to time in the MiLB. That's why in the end I decided to go for a more simplistic look, using just off-white and atheltic gold to mimmick the beverage look, partly inspired by the USMNT "popsicle" away kit. I've also decided to use the "Brew Crew" wordmark, often used by ballboys and other team staff, to complete the link between the design and the beer inspiration:

8v6Ly6L.png

I like the idea, but I'm not really feeling these. 

What if you tried a script that resembled an actual beer label? It's not something I'd recommend for a regular look, but it'd be great for a project like this.

Happy Halloween everyone!

Next up in the NL Central we have the St. Louis Cardinals!

Since the NBA Statement Edition jerseys often employ the team's secondary or tertiary color, for the Cards I decided to go with navy blue. I wanted to keep things quite traditional for them, so my main inspiration was the team's navy 80's BP jerseys. I replaced the "StL" with the bird-on-bat logo, to make a bit more of a "statement." Otherwise, nothing much changes.

WGb7ag1.png

C+C is appreciated!

21 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Happy Halloween everyone!

Next up in the NL Central we have the St. Louis Cardinals!

Since the NBA Statement Edition jerseys often employ the team's secondary or tertiary color, for the Cards I decided to go with navy blue. I wanted to keep things quite traditional for them, so my main inspiration was the team's navy 80's BP jerseys. I replaced the "StL" with the bird-on-bat logo, to make a bit more of a "statement." Otherwise, nothing much changes.

WGb7ag1.png

C+C is appreciated!

other then the undeniable swoosh logo placed upon us by our corporate overloads, you really do a great job. 

The Cards design looks fantastic! I love its 80's vibe 👌🏻

On 10/27/2019 at 5:34 PM, coco1997 said:

The Brewers look great! Any chance you could raise the numbers a bit to where they usually would be?

Sure thing!

OVbl8iU.png

On 10/29/2019 at 5:03 AM, NicDB said:

I like the idea, but I'm not really feeling these. 

What if you tried a script that resembled an actual beer label? It's not something I'd recommend for a regular look, but it'd be great for a project like this.

Do you have any specific idea/example in mind? Mimicking a beer label was something I thought about, but ended up ditching it in order not to lose the team's identity.

4 hours ago, Victormrey said:

The Cards design looks fantastic! I love its 80's vibe 👌🏻

Sure thing!

OVbl8iU.png

Do you have any specific idea/example in mind? Mimicking a beer label was something I thought about, but ended up ditching it in order not to lose the team's identity.

It could literally be as simple as containing the script in a funky diamond, like in the old Schlitz logo.

spacer.png

On 10/31/2019 at 4:55 PM, YankeeBaseball0934f said:

What font is this?

It’s an edited version of the regular MLB Block font that the Yankees, Tigers, and Braves use, tweaked to better match the flairs of the “StL” logo.

23 hours ago, bcon_731 said:

other then the undeniable swoosh logo placed upon us by our corporate overloads, you really do a great job. 

Thank you! Although I don’t mind the swoosh as much as most people do (I find it less obtrusive than Under Armour’s “UA”), we tried to make the best of what we could with it.

Personally, I really like the current Brewers script for this beer-inspired design, @Victormrey, as I’d say it looks plenty enough like a beer label. The only tough thing is that it’s difficult to get the wordmark high enough while still staying on the yellow. Maybe @NicDB’s suggestion of some sort of navy block in the background could help that, for both the wordmark & the numbers.

46 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Maybe @NicDB’s suggestion of some sort of navy block in the background could help that, for both the wordmark & the numbers.

I like this idea. And with the “Brew Crew” script being angled, a beer label-shaped design like on the Schlitz bottle posted above would work well behind the script.

Also, given what we now know about the Brewers’ new 2020 uniforms, I wonder if @Victormrey would consider replacing the barley “M” on the cap with the new “BiG” logo.

Let's return to the AL today with the Tampa Bay Rays!

With the Rays bringing back their late '90s look as a fauxback in 2018 and the related merchandise selling like hotcakes, I decided to really lean into that look in a similar way to the Angels. I also replaced navy blue with hunter green in an attempt to produce a true combination of eras-type design. C&C appreciated! 

Rays-NIKE.png

3 minutes ago, HereComesThax said:

I say go back to Powder Blue, but make minor changes. Keep the Ray a navy blue, and limit the Hunter Green to cap bill and accents.

I can try that, but I think I prefer to pick one of either navy or hunter green since they’re so similar in tone.

10 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I can try that, but I think I prefer to pick one of either navy or hunter green since they’re so similar in tone.

Ok, it’s just that the Hunter Green Ray is not pleasing to the eye. But all the other Hunter Green accents are perfectly fine. It’s odd.

spacer.png

Archived