coco1997

MLB Statement Series by Pinch Designer (Giants 12/7)

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone,

 

I hope you're all enjoying the MLB postseason. Picking up where we left off last year with our MLB City Edition series, @Paul Lucas, @Carolingian Steamroller, @Victormrey@MJD7 and I return with another collaboration, this one inspired by the NBA's Statement Edition uniforms, first introduced for the 2017-18 season. This project is similar in spirit to that series in that we've looked to each Major League Baseball team's unique visual history and combined elements from local culture in order to produce new designs that we hope each team's fanbase would instantly embrace. I'll start today with the California Angels Anaheim Angels Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim:

 

Upon visiting Angels Stadium for the first time a few weeks ago, l was surprised to learn the much-maligned-on-these-boards Disney era Angels gear is actually a favorite among fans of a certain age! For that reason, I decided to lean into that for my design but with a twist, using the color scheme of the '90s era Mighty Ducks. C&C appreciated! 

 

Angels-2-0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I love this, I've found the last 10 years of MLB uniforms to be so drab and boring with the minor league stuff being far too cartoony and more sarcastic than serious. You struck the perfect middle balance here and made a uniform that is both traditional and unique, the only problem I see with them is they have a similar vibe to the  Randy Johnson era Diamondback uniforms 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Murg said:

Man I love this, I've found the last 10 years of MLB uniforms to be so drab and boring with the minor league stuff being far too cartoony and more sarcastic than serious. You struck the perfect middle balance here and made a uniform that is both traditional and unique, the only problem I see with them is they have a similar vibe to the  Randy Johnson era Diamondback uniforms 

 

Thanks for your feedback! Although I can see where you're coming from with regards to the early D-Backs comparison, I think my design has enough differences from that uniform era (script, white front paneled cap, bright yellow trim, no black and different shade of purple) that it stands on its own.

 

Thanks again for following! Lots more fun and interesting designs are on the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I hardly see any early Diamondbacks in these but that is just me.

I think it's mostly the pinstripe pants and the coloring of the jersey. By no means is it just the Diamondbacks uniform though, I was just saying I got the vibes of it. Take the white hat, the purple top, and the pinstriped pants pictured below and you'll see why my mind went to AZ as a comparative uniform


spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

 

Thanks for your feedback! Although I can see where you're coming from with regards to the early D-Backs comparison, I think my design has enough differences from that uniform era (script, white front paneled cap, bright yellow trim, no black and different shade of purple) that it stands on its own.

 

Thanks again for following! Lots more fun and interesting designs are on the way. 

 

Oh and yours totally is unique, not trying to insinuate that you wholesaled the AZ look or something. If it weren't for the coloring I doubt I'd even have had the comparison jump into my head. I love your design, easily the best coloring you could have gone with and a pretty stupendous take on an originally pretty bland uniform

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Murg said:

 

Oh and yours totally is unique, not trying to insinuate that you wholesaled the AZ look or something. If it weren't for the coloring I doubt I'd even have had the comparison jump into my head. I love your design, easily the best coloring you could have gone with and a pretty stupendous take on an originally pretty bland uniform

 

No worries. I definitely didn't read it as though you were insinuating I straight up ripped off the D-Backs. :)

 

For comparison's sake, here is a version with non-pinstriped pants:

 

Angels-2-0-solid-white-pants.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In one sense the Diamondbacks comparison really works because the original Mighty Ducks of Anaheim kit, original Diamondbacks kit, and the Disney-era Angels kit all emerged out of the same mid-90's aesthetic. 

 

All three of those designs came out between 1993 and 1997. Every team dressed up for laser tag. 

 

Captain-Marvel-2019-marvels-captain-marv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Moving along the division...

 

Despite 25 years, 3 color scheme changes, and their only (hopefully my Yankees can keep it that way) World Championship in a different uniform...the Houston Astros’ biggest statement will forever be their ‘tequila sunrise’ look. They could simply wear their throwbacks and call it a day (but which version? The ‘80-‘81, ‘82-‘85, 1986, or the sleeve stripes of the late ‘80’s?) 

E0-C3-FA84-E277-4566-A821-13-DB0-CAA25-B

So I decided to create a new uniform combining their most iconic elements from that era in a modern application. Voilà the Astros: 

CDC3-FBCE-9414-4-BD1-9-E16-691577-CDE768

C&C appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Paul Lucas said:

Moving along the division...

 

Despite 25 years, 3 color scheme changes, and their only (hopefully my Yankees can keep it that way) World Championship in a different uniform...the Houston Astros’ biggest statement will forever be their ‘tequila sunrise’ look. They could simply wear their throwbacks and call it a day (but which version? The ‘80-‘81, ‘82-‘85, 1986, or the sleeve stripes of the late ‘80’s?) 

E0-C3-FA84-E277-4566-A821-13-DB0-CAA25-B

So I decided to create a new uniform combining their most iconic elements from that era in a modern application. Voilà the Astros: 

CDC3-FBCE-9414-4-BD1-9-E16-691577-CDE768

C&C appreciated.

Funny you post this the day they advance to the ALDS 😉 

 

Nice take of a throwback without going all tequila sunrise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the orange star on the front of the jersey. It’s a nice pop of color that ties the whole design together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time to head North to Seattle with the Mariners!

 

I love the teal caps and jerseys worn by the Mariners with their current set. It's a unique look and I think if given the chance to make a statement the Mariners would head in the direction of emphasizing teal. 

 

The NBA statement uniforms often use a similar style or elements from the standard home and away uniforms but push it into retro or recolored places. With that in mind, I've done a teal-heavy take on the retro '70s Mariners. Many thanks to @Victormrey for letting me borrow his swirling logo design. C&C as always. Enjoy!

 

9MP0FEU.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the emphasis on teal as well as the number font!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's continue the series staying on the West Coast with the Oakland A's!

 

During the 70’s, the Oakland Athletics peaked, both competitively and aesthetically speaking. One of the figures most associated with those A’s is the one and only Reggie “Mr. October” Jackson. And, at the same time, one of the images most associated with him are those iconic sleeveless uniforms. With this design, I looked to bring back the team’s golden era, back when they shined, not only in the standings, but also on the field.

 

H61bJJ9.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello there! Next up we have the Texas Rangers:

 

This design derives its inspiration from the Rangers' former alternate logo, a personal favorite of mine. The stripes in the logo translate into pinstripes on the uniform, with the red "Rangers" wordmark arching boldly across the chest. Red is injected elsewhere into the set in order to keep balance with the abundance of blue. Let us know what you think!

 

kY9fBO6.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basing the Rangers' design off that old alternate logo is absolutely inspired. I love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that we've batted around, let's jump over to the NL Central with the Chicago Cubs!

 

For the North Siders, I wanted a design that was 100% Cub and also unmistakably "Chicago" without ripping off @Carolingian Steamroller's wonderful City Edition concept. This design is based on the Cubs' 1978-81 road uniform but adds a splash of red, while the fan favorite "angry Cub" logo is front and center on the jersey. C&C appreciated! 

 

Cubs-NIKE.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reversed pinstripes work wonderfully! The design overall really screams "Chicago" without forgetting the Cubs focus. The "Angry Cub" logo is a nice feature, I've always prefered it over their current alt logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 3:02 AM, Silence of the Rams said:

Funny you post this the day they advance to the ALDS 😉 

 

Nice take of a throwback without going all tequila sunrise

I hope this post comes the day before they lose Game 1 and the rest of the Series. #YesImBitter#BSstrikeoutCalls

 

Thank you so much. That was definitely the goal in mind. I’m really happy with how it turned out, @coco1997 and I bounced a lot of ideas off of each other.

On 10/11/2019 at 10:21 AM, coco1997 said:

I really like the orange star on the front of the jersey. It’s a nice pop of color that ties the whole design together.

Yeah, that might be my favorite part. It brings it all together. Thank you, bro.

*****************************************************

Continuing our tour of the NL Central, it’s the Pittsburgh Pirates. 
 

For all their iconic looks (pretty much anything Clemente wore), no uniform made quite the ‘Statement’ that the “We Are Family” unis did (1977-1984)

FC1-CE5-A1-3759-4-A0-C-AB73-1-DF39-FD830

Still not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing, lol. Can we modernize this look 35 years later? You be the judge:

051-FCF04-3-DD6-4594-8461-DD6-B662-E43-D
The ‘Stargell Stars’ make their long-awaited return along with the Pittsburgh script worn by Barry Bonds in a uniform design sure to please even the most selective Bumblebee/Wiz Khalifa fan. The sleeves feature the silhouette of the Roberto Clemente Bridge (tying in their most iconic player and the backdrop of their gorgeous ballpark) in an attempt to combine as much of their history into one cohesive...I hope🤷🏻‍♂️...look.
C&C appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.