NWSL Expansion by mcrosby: Kansas City added 12/25

mcrosby

6 hours ago, mcrosby said:

A fantastic suggestion. I really like the Trailblazer name. Lots of great meaning with that. Here's a really quickly put together concept for that. This is a proof of concept, and I definitely used some open source clipart. Let me know what you think and I may pursue it further. 

5aJ9thz.png

Good start! The shape of the crest is good, but I feel that the contents on the logo don't feel like a soccer club badge as a collective. I had an idea that I just came up with: I'd put the trailblazer at the forefront, with trees in the back, and have her look up to the sky towards the north star, as if she's using the stars to navigate her way through the wilderness. 

VHj90kn.png

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/14/2019 at 5:08 PM, mcrosby said:

A fantastic suggestion. I really like the Trailblazer name. Lots of great meaning with that. Here's a really quickly put together concept for that. This is a proof of concept, and I definitely used some open source clipart. Let me know what you think and I may pursue it further. 

I'm glad you appreciated the suggestion, Mark. I, too, am a fan of the Trailblazer name. It speaks to the adventurous spirit of Minnesota's early explorers, the love of Minnesotans for getting out and enjoying their state's natural beauty, the many and varied accomplishments of Ann Bancroft, and the groundbreaking strides that the National Women's Soccer League is making on the American pro sports scene.

As per usual, you've created a terrific logo. It's a great start.

I agree with Axe in that I believe the badge might be stronger if the image of the trailblazer were moved into the foreground. I'm picturing a larger, 3/4 shot of her head and shoulders, from behind. She'd be gazing skyward, towards the State of Minnesota's namesake North Star, the celestial body - positioned above the majestic pines - serving as both her inspiration and guiding light. I'd render the star as the same six-pointed version used by MNUFC.

Sky Blue FC, out of Piscataway Township, NJ, recently had its highest ever attendance while playing at Red Bull Arena up in Harrison. NY/NJ teams have a history of playing on one side of the border and being named for the other, so I've decided to do away with locale name and stick with icons. The most famous lady in the region? The New Colossus. The Ladies Liberty keep the blue and orange from the Sky Blue look but add liberty green. 

lBmhZOw.png

Love a lady liberty team. They remind me of NY Liberty in the WNBA, but much better. Sucker for the Liberty green it has to be my favorite unique color that a team could use.. and paired with navy is the ideal identity for a team if I had one. The orange is a tad light but it is fire after all so I’d be dumb to say go darker. Favorite tied with the Houston one.

The only critiques I'd have are:

The way that the torch lines up with the words for Colossus FC makes it look like COLÖSSUS. I think this can be fixed by raising the text a little bit, and possibly, with more adjustments, eliminating the 'nipple' at the bottom where it says FC.

I'm not in love with the name or the affiliation with MNUFC for Minnesota. I think it's enough to have the same color scheme. You already did an MLS series that was amazing. No need to just repeat that.

And I just want to iterate again the absolute genius that is the flame. I've looked at it 20 times and I still love it.

tinysig.jpg

These logos are tremendous. I especially love the horseshoe logo, a really creative way to get a badge-shaped logo that's really unique. The torch logo really works too and I love the color combination for Colossus FC. I'm also hoping Sacramento Republic amplify the Bear in their identity when they move to MLS, so I'm glad to see you go that direction for an NWSL team in Sacramento. Good stuff.

I love the refined simplicity of the Racing Louisville FC badge.

The tie-in between the leonine mascots in the Queen City and Cincinnati badges is brilliantly done. That said, I feel FC Queen City sounds clunky as a name. The flow of Queen City FC strikes me as sounding better. While I understand that placing the FC before the place name is - like the mascot - meant to be a nod to the name of Cincinnati's MLS side, I don't think it's necessary. The shared color scheme and mascot species communicate the connection.

The details in the Colossus FC mark - the fact that the flames can be read as either "NY" or "NJ", the carrying over of the gullwing element from the Sky Blue FC badge to the thumb/palm of the Colossus' hand - are terrific!     

I think this is going to be a 20 team concept series, but that means I'll need some help coming up with names for places like: 

• LA
  • San Antonio
  • New Mexico
  • Las Vegas
  • San Diego
  • another East city, Boston? 

That said, here are two current club updates. 

The NC Courage crest features the courageous cat from the WUSA's Carolina Courage logo, and it's a bit rough.

eHePJ4V.png

The face shape of the current Reign FC logo has always felt a bit off to me, so here's a tiny update + some color to get it poppin'. 

Q0bzVGJ.png

12 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I think this is going to be a 20 team concept series, but that means I'll need some help coming up with names for places like: 

• LA
  • San Antonio
  • New Mexico
  • Las Vegas
  • San Diego
  • another East city, Boston? 

That said, here are two current club updates. 

The NC Courage crest features the courageous cat from the WUSA's Carolina Courage logo, and it's a bit rough.

eHePJ4V.png

The face shape of the current Reign FC logo has always felt a bit off to me, so here's a tiny update + some color to get it poppin'. 

Q0bzVGJ.png

Nice job! I like the upgrade on the Reign crest. Not entirely sure if the Courage logo feels like an upgrade, but I do like how you made the lioness/cougar (??) look more ferocious and the use of negative space is also pretty clever. 

As for names for more clubs, here are my suggestions:

• San Diego Waves (Nod to the Navy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAVES , and to the city being on the coast.) 
  • New Mexico Wanderers (I always really liked that name. I may have also seen a logo you made for that team name? I can't remember)
  • Sin City FC 
  • San Antonio Pioneers
  • FC Tinseltown

And yes, Boston makes perfect sense for another team. Maybe revive the Breakers? 

VHj90kn.png

1 minute ago, Axe said:

As for names for more clubs, here are my suggestions:

• San Diego Waves (Nod to the Navy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAVES , and to the city being on the coast.) 
  • New Mexico Wanderers (I always really liked that name. I may have also seen a logo you made for that team name? I can't remember)
  • Sin City FC 
  • San Antonio Pioneers
  • FC Tinseltown

And yes, Boston makes perfect sense for another team. Maybe revive the Breakers? 

I like these suggestions. I've been trying to go with names that aren't overtly feminine, but are still empowering. Trailblazer, Leap, Ursa, Colossus. They may not be obvious, but that's what I'm going for. 

On 10/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, mcrosby said:

Sky Blue FC, out of Piscataway Township, NJ, recently had its highest ever attendance while playing at Red Bull Arena up in Harrison. NY/NJ teams have a history of playing on one side of the border and being named for the other, so I've decided to do away with locale name and stick with icons. The most famous lady in the region? The New Colossus. The Ladies Liberty keep the blue and orange from the Sky Blue look but add liberty green. 

lBmhZOw.png

I think more of the hand and arm should be included. I'd probably plus up the Colossus name too, since the idea is of something larger than the other things around it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived