First time champions across Big 4 leagues in same calendar year or consecutive 12-month period?

Has there ever been a first-time champion in all four major leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL) in the same calendar year or a consecutive 12-month period? How about in 3 out of the 4 leagues?  For instance, we've had Toronto Raptors win the most recent Larry O'Brien trophy, the St. Louis Blues win the Stanley Cup and the Washington Nationals are 5 games away from the MLB title, so if the Nats win and there a first-time winner of the Super Bowl at the end of this season then it would fall within a 12-month period.

Almost happened in the 2002 calendar year. Patriots beat the Rams in SB 36, Anaheim Angels won the World Series. Nets were swept by the Lakers and the Hurricanes fell in 5 to the Red Wings

I got it: the period between October 2017 and June 2018: Astros, Eagles and Capitals became first time champions.

Well, did a quick search and 1969-70 comes close with 3 out of the 4 (MLB, NFL, NBA) but with an asterisk:

Mets won their first title in October 1969

Vikings won their first NFL title in January 1970 but lost to the Chiefs, who won their third AFL title, however it was the Chief's first Super Bowl title. 

Knicks won their first title in June 1970

The following comes within 19 months:

Colorado Avalanche in June 1996

Florida Marlins in October 1997

Denver Broncos in January 1998

The following comes close but no cigar:

Braves in 1957 (first in Milwaukee, but second overall)

St. Louis Hawks in 1958

Baltimore Colts December 1958

29 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Almost happened in the 2002 calendar year. Patriots beat the Rams in SB 36, Anaheim Angels won the World Series. Nets were swept by the Lakers and the Hurricanes fell in 5 to the Red Wings

I got it: the period between October 2017 and June 2018: Astros, Eagles and Capitals became first time champions.

Great job! I didn't look at the Eagles because, while if felt like they've just won it, it was already 2 Super Bowls ago. Totally forgot about the Capitals, and didn't realize that the Astros' win was within 12 months of the other two.

I guess 1999-2000 also had 3 out of 4:

June 1999 Dallas Stars

June 1999 San Antonio Spurs 

January 2000 St. Louis Rams 

Below are the best old the rest that I could find, either 2 out of 4 in two different leagues, or 3 out of 4 but in two different leagues, counting consecutive champions in the same sport:

April 1948 Baltimore Bullets

December 1948 Philadelphia Eagles

April 1949 Minneapolis Lakers

December 1950 Cleveland Browns

April 1951 Rochester Royals

April 1955 Syracuse Nationals

October 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers 

January 1971 Baltimore Colts 

April 1971 Milwaukee Bucks 

January 1972 Dallas Cowboys 

May 1974 Philadelphia Flyers 

January 1975 Pittsburgh Steelers 

June 1979 Seattle Supersonics

May 1980 New York Islanders 

May 1989 Calgary Flames 

June 1989 Detroit Pistons

June 1994 Houston Rockets

June 1995 New Jersey Devils 

June 2006 Miami Heat

June 2006 Carolina Hurricanes

June 2011 Dallas Mavericks 

June 2012 Los Angeles Kings

On 10/15/2019 at 12:54 AM, TrueYankee26 said:

While that was their first Super Bowl win, the Eagles were NFL champions in 1948, 1949 and 1960

It is what it is.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 10:51 PM, sayahh said:

Has there ever been a first-time champion in all four major leagues (MLB, NFL, NBA and NHL) in the same calendar year or a consecutive 12-month period? How about in 3 out of the 4 leagues?  For instance, we've had Toronto Raptors win the most recent Larry O'Brien trophy, the St. Louis Blues win the Stanley Cup and the Washington Nationals are 5 games away from the MLB title, so if the Nats win and there a first-time winner of the Super Bowl at the end of this season then it would fall within a 12-month period.

Probably not going to happen this year as the Super Bowl Champion will probably be New England.

13 minutes ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

When the Nats win the World Series and the Panthers win the Super Bowl, we'll see the first time for all 4 (I'm only slightly kidding).

Kyle Allen looks to be the future there in Carolina.  If he can develop further and you have McCaffrey continue to play like he has......it will be scary for the rest of the league.

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Kyle Allen looks to be the future there in Carolina.  If he can develop further and you have McCaffrey continue to play like he has......it will be scary for the rest of the league.

Kyle Allen's merely a stopgap until Cam returns and clowns on the league like he did in 2015 (and 2018 until he got injured). Rumors are he'll be ready for our next game against the 49ers but I'd rather he be 100%. If he is and McCaffrey keeps playing like he has been, the Panthers are Super Bowl contenders easy.

the user formerly known as cdclt

9 hours ago, QueenCitySwarm said:

When the Nats win the World Series and the Panthers win the Super Bowl, we'll see the first time for all 4 (I'm only slightly kidding).

So are the Bills, Texans and Vikings not likely to go the distance this season? (I don't think Chargers and Cards gonna make it far this year.)

12 hours ago, sayahh said:

So are the Bills, Texans and Vikings not likely to go the distance this season? (I don't think Chargers and Cards gonna make it far this year.)

The Texans are the only one of those teams that I say could reasonably have a shot, but I think the Panthers are the best bet to be a first-time winner this year, especially if Cam returns 100%.

the user formerly known as cdclt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, so if KC wins then it would be their first since the merger, i.e., after they joined the NFL, but second Super Bowl win overall. Too bad the Titans couldn't hang on to their lead, but KC - SF is the better matchup on paper and should be the most entertaining and higher ratings grabber.  3 out of 4 new winners was very rare, and it's going to be less likely to happen in the future (but still possible).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived