Seattle Sonics Concept (Courts Added)

vtgco

I know, it's yet another Seattle concept... What can I say, I get excited!

Here's my take on the return of the Sonics:

2019_display_2.png

For some reason, the Sonics only ever had one logo with a plane, and even so it was ridiculously small. Here, it's front and center!

The primary logo has a motion line around the Space Needle, influenced by the campy '90s logo. The secondary logo is my modernization of the classic skyline logo.

The font is modified Daggersquare.

2019_jersey_display_2.png

The two main jerseys sport the Sonics' traditional curved stripe + wordmark. The side paneling has a sound wave pattern.

The city jersey is inspired by Seattle's aviation history. I think Seattle's "Jet City" nickname would be an apt Sonics response to "Rip City," "Buzz City," etc. The color is from Seattle's flag, with a cloudy sky pattern for the side paneling.

Finally, to add some retro yellow to the set, the throwback is the beautiful 1971 jersey.

Let me know what you think! I'll post my court designs soon.

EDIT 10-27: Added a logo update. Original versions here.

I love the concept overall. I'm surprised there's never been a jet-flying-around-Space-Needle logo. That said, the jet is very chunky and looks like child's toy. I'd give it a more streamlined look.

rATMcmK.png

I agree with @Whittier S

The concept looks good but the logo is too simplified and the jet is to blocky. Also the almost oval shape, especially where there’s sharp angles, looks a bit awkward. 
I love the Double green however and I really like what you’ve done to the uniforms!

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

There’s some really good ideas here that need some smoothing around the edges. The plane is simply too boxy, and the Space Needle looks like it was made with Tetris, but i love the needle/oval/jet composition. Smooth it out a bit and it could become the best Sonics logo. I think most of the “nickname city” jerseys are silly, so I’d drop Jet City, although I think you’re onto something with the contrail/wordmark tail. Like the double green but I would also try to put some yellow back into the jersey, green/white is a Celtics thing and the Bucks have already done the various shades of green. 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

On 10/18/2019 at 6:04 AM, Whittier S said:

I love the concept overall. I'm surprised there's never been a jet-flying-around-Space-Needle logo.

Glad you like the idea! The inaugural '67 logo actually did have a jet, but it's awfully subtle.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:29 AM, anythinglogos said:

Like the double green but I would also try to put some yellow back into the jersey, green/white is a Celtics thing and the Bucks have already done the various shades of green. 

TBH, I didn't want to include yellow in the main set because green & yellow feels kinda un-Seattle to me. I think they could save yellow for retro gear like the Mariners do. (Full disclosure: I was young when the Sonics moved, so I guess Sonics fans might disagree with me...) I can understand your concerns about looking too Celticsy, though.

12 hours ago, ClevelandBaronsNHLfan said:

The logo looks good but add some of the blue and gold in the logos so there is more than just green and white.

The blue was just meant for the city jersey (like what the Jazz do with red). Here's a version of the skyline with the retro yellow, though!

On 10/18/2019 at 7:51 AM, BellaSpurs said:

I love the Double green however and I really like what you’ve done to the uniforms!

Thanks for the kind words!

I think most of the “nickname city” jerseys are silly, so I’d drop Jet City, although I think you’re onto something with the contrail/wordmark tail.

I figured that since these nicknames exist IRL, I might try to go for what the Sonics would do with it. I also can't think of how to incorporate the plane with "Sonics." Besides, "Jet City" is classier than Toronto's "North" and makes more sense than "Lob City," right?

On 10/18/2019 at 6:04 AM, Whittier S said:

That said, the jet is very chunky and looks like child's toy. I'd give it a more streamlined look.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:51 AM, BellaSpurs said:

The concept looks good but the logo is too simplified and the jet is to blocky.

There’s some really good ideas here that need some smoothing around the edges. The plane is simply too boxy, and the Space Needle looks like it was made with Tetris

Okay, I made some attempts to address these concerns. They're not perfect, but I think they're better than what I had before:

logo_compare_1.png

I curved the nose and tail of the plane, and rounded some of the corners of the Space Needle.

Note that the wing is curved on Version 2. I can't decide if that's better than the angular Version 1. Version 3 is supposed to be a more rounded commercial jet.

Let me know which version you like! Thanks for your feedback, everyone!

I still think the shape of the logo is awkward, it still also feels too simplified almost. I think the jet is too boxy and stout when you should

maybe curve it with the shape of the oval, or have it breaking off completely, like their inaugural logo

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

17 hours ago, Whittier S said:

The dimensions of the plane still pose a problem. A prop plane might be short like that, but not a jet.

Are these proportions better at all?

logo_004f2.png

15 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I still think the shape of the logo is awkward, it still also feels too simplified almost. I think the jet is too boxy and stout when you should

maybe curve it with the shape of the oval, or have it breaking off completely, like their inaugural logo

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's too simplified...

In the latest attempt, I tried to make the jet silhouette more realistic and sleek. It's also following the oval curve more.

As for doing something like the inaugural logo, I don't know how I could keep the jet big and still have a horizontally balanced logo, since the plane is off to one side.

I appreciate your feedback; I'm just having a hard time figuring out how I'd execute it!

14 hours ago, ClevelandBaronsNHLfan said:

Could you upload this to nba2k20?

I don't own any of the NBA games, so I'm not sure that I can... Sorry!

Thanks again for the comments.

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

That said, you should change the font of the "Jet City" wordmark, since it is a rip of the Winnipeg Jets wordmark.

Actually, I made the Jet City wordmark myself from scratch, but looking at it after the fact I guess it does resemble Winnipeg's old font... It's got plenty of differences though and that Jets wordmark is defunct anyways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

5 hours ago, vtgco said:

Actually, I made the Jet City wordmark myself from scratch, but looking at it after the fact I guess it does resemble Winnipeg's old font... It's got plenty of differences though and that Jets wordmark is defunct anyways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

That's fair. I didn't look closely enough at the two to see. The uniforms you've got for this concept though, kick ass.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Well, I'm having a bit of creative block on how I could edit the logo, but here are the courts:

2019_court_display_2.png

I used Conrad's excellent template for these courts.

I was waffling on the slogan for the primary court. I wanted to do "Fly Above" but that seems to be taken by some DII school. I also considered "Faster than Sound," "This is Our Sound," and "Hear Our Sound." Let me know if you have any better ideas.

The City court is based on the city flag and has a Seattle skyline silhouette.

For the throwback court, I referenced @kodrinsky's court database entry for the '85 Sonics. It doesn't match the year of the throwback uniform, but it looks really cool, so...

• vtgco changed the title to Seattle Sonics Concept (Courts Added)
On 10/19/2019 at 9:25 AM, ClevelandBaronsNHLfan said:

The logo looks good but add some of the blue and gold in the logos so there is more than just green and white.

Yes...if the Sonics ever make a return, it's pretty much guaranteed the colors will be green/yellow/white.

Archived