Métro Soccer League / Subway Soccer League (Montréal)

ScotM

In 1966, Montréal mayor Jean Drapeau spearheads an initiative to bring underground transportation to the city of Montréal. The following year, the 1967 World's Fair comes to the island. To celebrate this joyous moment, the City of Montréal will join together and create a 26 team soccer league featuring the original metro stations. Each with a team playing in the individual neighbourhood, with sponsorship by prominent businesses and home/away shirts inspired by the metro specific art and design.

Take a trip back to 1967 with me, while we explore the formulation of the Montréal Subway Soccer League.
spacer.png
From the above map, you can see that the stations have been divided into Northern and Southerns divisions, just North of the major hub Berri-de-Montigny. Twenty six teams, split up into the two divisions. Over the next few weeks, and months, I'll be creating team logos, home/away shirts, and introducing the individual neighbourhoods, featuring a little bit of backstory on each.

First team up is Station Atwater FC, with a colour scheme based on the browns and greys of Atwater Station.

spacer.png

The logo features the three towers of Westmount Square, an outdoor shopping centre built in 1967. Located a short distance from Atwater station, and constructed in International Style architecture, it was modelled after Lake Shore Drive Apartments in Chicago. The shopping centre has both boutiques, art galleries and office space reserved for health clinics.

spacer.png
The Atwater home and away shirts borrow the brown and grey pattern from the brick work of the station. Home features a lighter brown, with a dark brown overlay of diagonal lines. While the light coloured away has a pattern of hand drawn lines reminiscent of Van Gogh's paintings, an ode to the art galleries housed in Westmount Square.

Next team up is Beaubien 1967.

spacer.png
Hailing from the area of La Petite Patrei (Little Homeland) in Rosemont, comes Beaubien 1967. Les Flammes (The Flames) logo and jerseys are inspired by the cream coloured waffle style ceilings of Station Beaubien, and the red and orange inlays on the walls of the station. The team is sponsored by Montréal Supermarket, Steinberg, which opened in Beaubien a ten minute walk from home stadium, Parc de Gaspé on Rue Saint-Zotique in 1959.

10 minutes ago, Whittier S said:

Love it overall so far. I do find the skyscrapers in the Atwater crest to be too much like an illustration. It would be nice to see them simplified and more iconic.

I agree. It's a bit busy for a logo. I wanted something similar to the St. Pauli FC logo. I'll revisit it this weekend, to see if I can simplify it.

spacer.png

Beaubien 67's home shirt is a dark orange (flame), with a line pattern that features different shades of orange in varying lengths. The sleeves have cream and brick red, and the neck mirrors the red on the sleeve. The away top is a cream colour, with orange wavy gradients, sleeves and neck finished with flame orange. Both shirts are sponsored by Steinberg Supermarket, founded in Montréal in 1917.

The next metro team is Beaudry FC, or Les Villageois, as they're affectionately known to the locals. The Villagers are a club that play in the borough of Ville-Marie. 

Named for the Village district of Montréal, their colour scheme is deep red, brown and slate white (light grey), sourced from the walls of Beaudry Station.

spacer.png

Their logo features a rounded shield, with a silhouette of the skyline of Montréal (from 1967), and a brown and white pattern in the bottom half featuring the erratic tile work from the main platform of the station. The shield is split by a red banner with the clubs name in full. They're sponsored by local department store, Dupuis Frères and play their home games in Parc Ernest-Ouimet in Division Nord (Northern Division.)

The Villager's home shirt is a deep red base, with a brown neck and brown/grey accents on the sleeves. A light grey rectangle pattern is overlaid on top to create contrast and carry over the colour from the badge. Beaudry's away kit is slate white, with a deep red neck, brown/grey accented sleeves and features a sublimated pattern of light brown rectangles, echoing the pattern from the lower section of the crest, taken from the walls of the station.

spacer.png

There are a lot of great things going on in this series so far. It is very much a tribute to 1960s design--not sports design of the era, but 1960s design more generally. I think especially of that pattern on the home Beaudry jersey and the Atwater logo (even if it needs to be simplified.) That approach seems so fitting for a tribute to the Montreal subway system. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it on here. Kudos to your creativity.

rATMcmK.png

Next up is Berri FC.

Les Titans (Titans), as they're known locally, are named for the large concrete beams that run between Rue Berri and Rue de Montigny, holding the entire station up. Their colour scheme is marble red (sourced from the ceramic tile), light blue (from the stained glass on the main green station platform) and cream of the support columns. They are sponsored by Dejardins Group and play their home matches at Parc Rue Berri Stadium (what is now Place Émilie-Gamelin.)

spacer.png

Berri FC's home shirt is marble red, with a blue neck and grey/blue sleeves. The shirt pattern features an Art Deco style fan sublimation in darker red. The away top is grey, with a dark red neck and blue/red sleeves and a dark grey swirl pattern overlay. Both shirts are sponsored by local credit union Desjardins, with the stylized bee logo inside a green square and the company name underneath.

spacer.png   

Archived