TrueYankee26

Your worst days of your life as a sports fan v2

Recommended Posts

It's cute how fans of perennially great teams who have loads of championship experiences try to participate in these threads. A Bills fan will be like "Wide Right. My uncle literally hanged himself immediately after the game. The stress created a rift between my parents that ended in their divorce. My dad's alcoholism got so bad that none of my siblings talk to him anymore. I don't know if he's dead or alive. And my mom moved to Scottsdale so she wouldn't be constantly reminded of the Bills everywhere she went. She married her therapist."

 

and then a Giants fan posting within eyeshot of that will be like "Dave Brown was kind of a crappy QB. That was a tough few years."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McCarthy said:

It's cute how fans of perennially great teams who have loads of championship experiences try to participate in these threads. A Bills fan will be like "Wide Right. My uncle literally hanged himself immediately after the game. The stress created a rift between my parents that ended in their divorce. My dad's alcoholism got so bad that none of my siblings talk to him anymore. I don't know if he's dead or alive. And my mom moved to Scottsdale so she wouldn't be constantly reminded of the Bills everywhere she went. She married her therapist."

 

and then a Giants fan posting within eyeshot of that will be like "Dave Brown was kind of a crappy QB. That was a tough few years."

 

In my personal defense, the success of each Boston team, mostly, inversely proportional to their success during my lifetime. Tom Brady can take a long walk off the Zakim Bridge for all I care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had a few as a Minnesota sports fan...


3. 2017 NHL playoffs, Central Division first round

The Wild took on the St. Louis Blues in the first round after the Wild’s best season in a while. Well unfortunately Jake Allen stole the show, and the Wild couldn’t buy a goal, and lost in 5 games. I was very upset after that series, especially at Jake Allen. Who of course played terrible in the next round...

2. 2015 Wild Card Game

The Vikings once again let me down... All Blair Walsh has to do was nail a 20 yard kick. Oops. I also had to cover a shift at McDonald’s that day, and my manager made me miss the kick to help one customer. As I ran back to the front, she told me “He missed”. I freaked out and ran to the front to watch the TV that had the game on, I got to enjoy the replays. He probably still would have missed if I had watched the kick live, but ya never know. 

1. 2009 NFC Championship game

The Vikings lost in overtime to the Saints on a field goal, and I swear that they changed the rules because of that game. 10 year-old-me had just got into football that year, and instantly became a true Vikings fan when they lost. That’s the only sporting event I’ve cried over...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ending to the:

1999 Stanley Cup Finals (skate in the crease, enough said)

1994 Stanley Cup Finals (A Cinderella story with a pumpkin ending)

1985 American League Championship (Me yelling walk Brett already at the t.v.!!!)

2009 Grey Cup (too many men)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 10:50 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

 

Had Dallas beaten the Giants, I would've felt majorly confident that Dallas would beat Green Bay. Favre had never beaten Dallas in Texas Stadium, and they had a late season, heavyweight matchup that Dallas won (and they rang Favre's bell).

 

Would Dallas had beaten New England? I don't know. Considering how the Giants also lost and triumphed in the rematch; Dallas would've still had a chance. They wouldn't have been as huge an underdog as New York was (considering they were the NFC's #1 seed), but they'd still be treated as massive underdogs.

 

However, considering their matchup early in the season, that New England came in and stomped Dallas, Dallas would've not been able to keep up.

 

Who knows what would've happened? All I know is; it's all Patrick Crayton's fault.

 

In Dallas's matchup with NE that season, I think they were down by four going into the fourth quarter, and then they got stuffed on a 4th and 1, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2002 World Series game 6: 

8 outs from their first title in San Francisco, up (I think) by 8 at one point, and Dusty Baker has to put in Felix :censored:ing Rodriguez. The even year BS run this decade has eased a lot of that pain, but I’ll hate those two forever. 

 

2016 USL playoffs first round: 

Sac Republic won the west and had so much promise coming in as the #1 seed. Then they play a scoreless draw to 8th seeded Orange County Blues and lose in the shootout. Boom, that’s it. Season over. 

 

2001 Daytona 500: 

I’e barely watched a single second of NASCAR since Dale Sr tragically smacked into that wall, and what I have watched has never been at all comfortable. There’s just something about knowing that your heroes can legitimately die while doing their sport that I can’t come to terms with. That’s not how any of this is supposed to be. It adds a level of gravity and realness that’s too much for me to handle. It brings me a level of anxiety that I don’t want at all. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bucfan56 said:

2002 World Series game 6: 

8 outs from their first title in San Francisco, up (I think) by 8 at one point, and Dusty Baker has to put in Felix :censored:ing Rodriguez. The even year BS run this decade has eased a lot of that pain, but I’ll hate those two forever. 

 

I'm with you bro.

 

Also the 1993 103-win Giants. Losing to the Dodgers on the last day of the season and finishing 1 game back of the Braves. Salomon :censored:ing Torres!!!! Thank you Dusty for that!!!! Damn you expansion Rockies!!! You couldn't beat the Braves one damn time!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Wings said:

 

I'm with you bro.

 

Also the 1993 103-win Giants. Losing to the Dodgers on the last day of the season and finishing 1 game back of the Braves. Salomon :censored:ing Torres!!!! Thank you Dusty for that!!!! Damn you expansion Rockies!!! You couldn't beat the Braves one damn time!!!

 

Also, the idiot Padres are to blame. Trade McGriff to an AL team instead of Atlanta, you idiots!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr. BucFan has said all that needs to be said about 2002, except I put way more blame on Dusty Baker. Of course, the Giants got to return the favor in 2012, which I love.

 

The big one is 2014 - Sharks vs. Kings reverse sweep: This was the moment that kind of turned me against the Sharks, leading me to hope for a rebuild to purge the "rotten core." I don't think I'll have faith in the Sharks until every member of that squad has retired or joined another squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t mention that one because pretty much the Sharks very existence has ended up being the worst day of my life. That series doesn’t really register with be because that one basically broke the hockey part of my brain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Nascar; 

 

2007 Daytona 500 & 2009 Chase - Mark Martin was always one of my favorite drives, him losing the 500 like that hurt to watch. Also in 2009 seeing him lose his last chance to win a championship he really deserved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, what the heck...

 

- 1996 Sugar Bowl. Until one comes along and tops this, this will forever rank at the top of my absolute ill-tasting memories of my Florida State Seminoles, not to mention sports period. I've long since moved on from this, but there's just simply no undoing that. For those too young to remember, this wasn't just another bowl game: a/ This was a rematch against the archest-of-archrival Florida Swamp Thangs Gators, just weeks after we beat them in the annual rivalry game and took the #1 ranking from them (which really added a lot of salt to the gash in the Sugar Bowl--read on); and b/ this was for the national championship. (Now I don't care what anyone outside my home state says about our in-state archrivalries--I've yet to see any other archrivals, much less in-state ones, play each other for the National title.) I'll save the details, but FSU entered into the game #1, Florida #2--and then the Gators commenced to chomping the mess out of my Seminoles, to the tune of something like 52-17 or something like that (I don't care to look it up). Oh my gawd...and I mean they went STRAIGHT savage mode after the game with those "Sugar Sweet" championship t-shirts (a play on "sugar-sweet revenge"; refer back to subpoint a above). The killing thing is that was one of FSU's three best squads of all time, behind the 2013 team and the '99 team. Still though...that dadgum Sugar Bowl. Dadgummit...

 

- 1999 NFC championship game. All Imma say about that is this: Bert Emmanuel caught that ball. I'll leave that alone for now, except to say that due to that official's gaffe of an overturned good catch, we got to witness the culmination of thr Greatest Show on Turf (which I will add was held to just 11 points in that conference championship game).

 

- October 6, 2003. Every Tampa Bay Buccaneer fan remembers this day, but probably dares not bring it up. Aside from the fact that former Buccaneer head coach Tony Dungy was on the opposing sideline, in his former home stadium, in Indianapolis Colts blue, Tampa Bay needed that win to make a statement and stake claim to conference superiority (remember they had just won the SB the previous year). And late into the fourth quarter, up 21 on the Colts, it looked for show's like they had it. And then Peyton Freaking Manning happened. I watched that one live--and even then 21-year-old me knew something was on the horizon when Mannign completed thay first touchdown pass with about four minutes to go in the game (well, regulation time anyway). And from then on I watched a staunch bend-but-don't break Tampa Bay defense become all the way unglued, and four minutes later it was 35-all heading into OT. 21 points. In four minutes. I don't even think TB got the ball in OT; alas, the Colts kicked a FG and that was that. I had just moved to Pittsburgh from Florida just four whole days before that game--and boy was I pissed. Had I had any actual furniture in my apartment at that time, I'm sure some of it would have moved.

 

That's really it, present and previous Florida State football seasons excepted, of course...

 

EDIT: One more, not personal to me, but because I saw it live...the 2011 Coca-Cola 600. Now, I'm not a NASCAR fan, but I know enough about it to find it interesting, and because I was broke down in Des Moines, I and several fellow drivers took this one in. I remember a caution flag going up before either the last or second-to-last lap of the race, and Dale Jr. was at the head of the pack,  but gambled by not going into the pit to refuel several laps before. When they raised that caution flag, I saw Jr. take off like a bat out of hell down that track, instantly separating himself from the pack. He had that race won, and handily too--except, due to that earlier gamble, he ended up running out of fuel in the final turn of the last lap, and ended up getting passed by half the field. Dude was thatclose to winning, and then that happened. It hurt me watching that...I can only imagine how devoted NASCAR and/or Dale Jr. fans must have felt at seeing him tap out like that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I didn’t mention that one because pretty much the Sharks very existence has ended up being the worst day of my life. That series doesn’t really register with be because that one basically broke the hockey part of my brain. 

 

The Sharks fan experience is basically this.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another NASCAR one: I was a Jerry Nadeau fan as a kid. His career-ending injury at Richmond was hard on 10 year old me. But I had hope he would come back the next year, since he kept saying he would after he fully recovered. Once 2006 came around and he still wasn’t in a car I figured he would never race again. 
 

As far as Nadeau on the track, losing the 2002 Sonoma race was probably the most heartbreaking of all his tough luck losses. Had that race in the bag, and then suffers rear-end gear failure with two laps to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2019 at 8:00 PM, Buc said:

Oh, what the heck...

 

- 1996 Sugar Bowl. Until one comes along and tops this, this will forever rank at the top of my absolute ill-tasting memories of my Florida State Seminoles, not to mention sports period. I've long since moved on from this, but there's just simply no undoing that. For those too young to remember, this wasn't just another bowl game: a/ This was a rematch against the archest-of-archrival Florida Swamp Thangs Gators, just weeks after we beat them in the annual rivalry game and took the #1 ranking from them (which really added a lot of salt to the gash in the Sugar Bowl--read on); and b/ this was for the national championship. (Now I don't care what anyone outside my home state says about our in-state archrivalries--I've yet to see any other archrivals, much less in-state ones, play each other for the National title.) I'll save the details, but FSU entered into the game #1, Florida #2--and then the Gators commenced to chomping the mess out of my Seminoles, to the tune of something like 52-17 or something like that (I don't care to look it up). Oh my gawd...and I mean they went STRAIGHT savage mode after the game with those "Sugar Sweet" championship t-shirts (a play on "sugar-sweet revenge"; refer back to subpoint a above). The killing thing is that was one of FSU's three best squads of all time, behind the 2013 team and the '99 team. Still though...that dadgum Sugar Bowl. Dadgummit...

 

 

This one was pretty sour for those of us in Columbus too. Florida got to have a do-over against their rival who they lost to while OSU had to go Pasadena and beat an undefeated Arizona State team. It has never felt fair. And how's it fair to FSU to ask them to beat their rival twice while Florida only had to do it once? Never made any sense. 

 

As silly as the BCS years were, the pre-BCS years were even sillier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 5:57 PM, Crabcake47 said:

Some immediately spring to mind. 
 

The Cundiff Game - 2011 AFC Championship. Lee Evans is one of the luckiest men in recent football history because everyone remembers Cundiff’s shank of the potential game-tying FG, yet many, many less remember Evans dropping the potential game-winning TD the play before. 
 

.........

 

The O’s losing G5 of the ALDS to the Yankees, in the first time I remember seeing the Orioles in the playoffs in my lifetime. Getting swept by the Royals also sucked. 
 

I realize as I type this that I’ve been incredibly lucky, in that all of these (except the Orioles’) have been resolved later. The Ravens and Liverpool won titles the year after their heartbreaks, and the Caps won the Cup two years after. 

For some reason, I didn't have the heartbreak I should have after that Cundiff miss and Evans drop (or swat by the defender? Some people still argue that). If anything, I was bummed that we didn't get it done in a season where we didn't end up facing the Steelers in the playoffs since the Broncos took care of them two rounds beforehand.

 

The 2014 ALCS though...that hurts my heart more than anything. I worked at Oriole Park that year and it was the first of three. For all the fun I had that season, what turned out to be my last day at work that year was a crushing blow. I took that subway home having the worst gut feeling that I wouldn't be back for a Game 6, and sure enough that happened. It's even worse considering I didn't work the two biggest days of the season (The division clinching game in September and Game 2 of the ALDS with the memorable Delmon Young double) at the yard because I had classes during the week. The 2016 Wild Card game was even more gut-punching for me...watched that on my computer while staying late at school to do some work and I went home at 3am in total disarray.

 

On 10/23/2019 at 12:10 AM, Jimmy Lethal said:

>Super Bowl LI (I'm not even a Falcons fan)

On this note, every Pats SB win in this decade has been tough. If it wasn't for the Eagles winning a few years back, I'd be frustrated at how these NFC teams all struggle vs the Pats. I hate hearing any mention of 28-3 or Seattle's late-game fluke INT at the 1 almost as much as any Falcons or Seahawks fan. I don't know how bad the Rams fan get roasted for 13-3, but man...all those games made me wish playoff Flacco, Nick Foles, and/or Eli Manning was around more to challenge Brady.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2014 ALCS

2018 Champions League Quarterfinal v Liverpool scumbags 

2019 Champions League Quarterfinal v Spurs

2006 Sweet 16, Duke v LSU

2004 Final Four, Duke v UConn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, selby56 said:

Another NASCAR one: I was a Jerry Nadeau fan as a kid. His career-ending injury at Richmond was hard on 10 year old me. But I had hope he would come back the next year, since he kept saying he would after he fully recovered. Once 2006 came around and he still wasn’t in a car I figured he would never race again. 
 

As far as Nadeau on the track, losing the 2002 Sonoma race was probably the most heartbreaking of all his tough luck losses. Had that race in the bag, and then suffers rear-end gear failure with two laps to go. 

 

I remember that race. Rudd was one of the most unluckiest drivers that year; having impossible ways to lose happen to him. In the heat of the moment, I was excited to see my favorite driver (who I grew up rooting for) win, while my Mom gave a dejected moan about Jerry's luck.

 

Rudd was clearly conflicted in Victory Lane. Happy to be there, but obviously would've wanted to felt like he earned the victory.

 

Speaking of Rudd, the 2005 Sonoma race. A fleeting, fleeting dream that the Rooster would hold Smoke back. But, he just couldn't. That and the race at Kansas (also in '05?) were really the last two chances he ever had at a victory.

 

...Should've at least won at Kansas. Timed his slingshot too late. Had he timed it better, he would've passed Nemechek to the stripe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.