TrueYankee26

Your worst days of your life as a sports fan v2

Recommended Posts

December 1st, 2007.

 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=273350277

 

I'm going to brag and boast and say that nothing can top this perfect storm of awfulness.

 

Let me quickly set the scene: WVU is ranked #2 in the BCS, #2 in the AP poll, and #1 in the Coaches poll.  A win against bitter rival Pitt guarantees a trip to the National Championship.  Pitt is 4-7 and a 28 point underdog. I'm a wide eyed freshman ready to burn some frickin couches.

 

Long story short -- Offense can't get moving, defense can't stop LeSean McCoy, Pat McAfee misses some kicks and next thing you know, WVU loses 13-9 and Rich Rod is on his way to Michigan.

 

Try and find a comparable loss, its difficult.  In what other instance can you be one win away from a championship appearance only to lose to a terrible giant underdog?  With the FBS Playoff now in effect it can't happen there.  A similiar loss today would just prevent you from making the Playoff, not the title game.  It can't happen in the Final Four, any team you play there would be better by comparison than a 4-7 28 point underdog.  Etc, etc.  Let this be the hill I die on, worst sports loss ever!!!

 

Ipso facto, worst day of my life as a sports fan.  And obviously, its not like WVU is some consistent powerhouse that always gets cracks at title runs.  That adds to the sting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had a few dark days with my teams, but there’s only been one thing that was bad enough to make me give up on my team, and an entire league: the day LeBron signed in LA. I haven’t watched a minute of an NBA game since. While my interest in the NBA had greatly diminished after Kobe retired and the whole season becoming, more or less, simply there to decide which teams Golden State and Cleveland would beat in the playoffs, I had started to get attached to the young guys on the Lakers who were beginning to show promise during the 2017-18 season. But then they signed LeBron and all of a sudden all the guys I had grown to like were simply dumped so he could bring in his friends. It made me realize the NBA isn’t a league where players are even remotely loyal to their teams or fans, they'd rather catch the next flight to a “super team” to play with their friends instead of working to build up the team they’re currently on.

I know this won’t be popular, but I don’t care. Just my opinions that I needed to get off my chest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jn8 said:

I’ve had a few dark days with my teams, but there’s only been one thing that was bad enough to make me give up on my team, and an entire league: the day LeBron signed in LA. I haven’t watched a minute of an NBA game since. While my interest in the NBA had greatly diminished after Kobe retired and the whole season becoming, more or less, simply there to decide which teams Golden State and Cleveland would beat in the playoffs, I had started to get attached to the young guys on the Lakers who were beginning to show promise during the 2017-18 season. But then they signed LeBron and all of a sudden all the guys I had grown to like were simply dumped so he could bring in his friends. It made me realize the NBA isn’t a league where players are even remotely loyal to their teams or fans, they'd rather catch the next flight to a “super team” to play with their friends instead of working to build up the team they’re currently on.

I know this won’t be popular, but I don’t care. Just my opinions that I needed to get off my chest. 

 

Good point. The NBA has been messed up for years. I think it started in the 90's when it became the Michael Jordan league, and the NBC stood for National Bulls Corporation. I know that everyone loves MJ, but I think that nobody (outside of David Stern) has been worse for the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jn8 said:

I’ve had a few dark days with my teams, but there’s only been one thing that was bad enough to make me give up on my team, and an entire league: the day LeBron signed in LA. I haven’t watched a minute of an NBA game since. While my interest in the NBA had greatly diminished after Kobe retired and the whole season becoming, more or less, simply there to decide which teams Golden State and Cleveland would beat in the playoffs, I had started to get attached to the young guys on the Lakers who were beginning to show promise during the 2017-18 season. But then they signed LeBron and all of a sudden all the guys I had grown to like were simply dumped so he could bring in his friends. It made me realize the NBA isn’t a league where players are even remotely loyal to their teams or fans, they'd rather catch the next flight to a “super team” to play with their friends instead of working to build up the team they’re currently on.

I know this won’t be popular, but I don’t care. Just my opinions that I needed to get off my chest. 

As much as I love to see superstar teamups, I really wish more guys went the way of dirk and duncan and stuck with a team their whole career. It makes that player so much more special to that team and avoids awkwardness when celebrating their legacy with their ex team (ala durant’s legacy in okc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

December 1st, 2007.

 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=273350277

 

I'm going to brag and boast and say that nothing can top this perfect storm of awfulness.

 

Let me quickly set the scene: WVU is ranked #2 in the BCS, #2 in the AP poll, and #1 in the Coaches poll.  A win against bitter rival Pitt guarantees a trip to the National Championship.  Pitt is 4-7 and a 28 point underdog. I'm a wide eyed freshman ready to burn some frickin couches.

 

Long story short -- Offense can't get moving, defense can't stop LeSean McCoy, Pat McAfee misses some kicks and next thing you know, WVU loses 13-9 and Rich Rod is on his way to Michigan.

 

Try and find a comparable loss, its difficult.  In what other instance can you be one win away from a championship appearance only to lose to a terrible giant underdog?  With the FBS Playoff now in effect it can't happen there.  A similiar loss today would just prevent you from making the Playoff, not the title game.  It can't happen in the Final Four, any team you play there would be better by comparison than a 4-7 28 point underdog.  Etc, etc.  Let this be the hill I die on, worst sports loss ever!!!

 

Ipso facto, worst day of my life as a sports fan.  And obviously, its not like WVU is some consistent powerhouse that always gets cracks at title runs.  That adds to the sting.

 

 

I actually attended the national championship game that year. I remember being fascinated by the idea of seeing West Virginia vs. Missouri. Instead, both lost and we got Ohio State vs. LSU. Granted, maybe my trip was more fun because the title game was in New Orleans that year and involved LSU, but seeing two schools who were historically almost good enough get a shot would have been really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That whole year sucked. West Virginia vs Missouri would’ve been awesome, and then they both totally face planted and we ended up with the most boring national title game I can ever remember.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

2011's was much worse for so many reasons. Appropriately bad title game for the BCS doing what it did.

 

Was that the Alabama-LSU farce? When they rigged that up I was so turned off I didn't watch the game and I completely tuned out of college football for two full seasons because it was such an ESPN driven sham. All made worse because Alabama, through losing the first time to LSU, was rewarded the luxury of one fewer game where LSU was punished with having to go to Atlanta to play in the SEC championship game. It was such a perversion of what the college football regular season is supposed to mean and the moment when the people in charge lost sight of what they were doing. I was really glad when it came in as one of the lowest rated BCS NCGs because it meant other people felt the same way as me.  


The funny thing is that nonsense was probably the final straw for creating the playoff. The playoff isn't perfect, but at least now there's a measure in place to save college football from ever pulling that bulls*** on themselves ever again. If the playoff had existed that season then Alabama probably beats Oklahoma State and we probably get an LSU-Alabama rematch anyways, but that's better than being gifted the spot. I still think you shouldn't be eligible for the playoff if you don't win your conference, but it's better now than it was in 2011. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2019 at 3:10 PM, alxy8s said:

Been pretty lucky on the whole, but will never get over the 2018 College Football Playoff National Championship.

 

By the time "2nd & 26" happened, I was beyond convinced Georgia was going to lose (and really already should have; Bama had missed a pretty short FG at the end of regulation), so it wasn't the gut punch you'd imagine. These two calls happened at the start of the 3rd quarter:

e5e58c289c7c2e2400c86b19938b9837

The "Tyler Simmons was onside" play which should have given Georgia the ball inside the 5 and a chance to go up 20-0 and then:

 

e4de300cce93c9677434133bc0b948ad

Three plays later, the defender pulls Swift's facemask a full 180 degrees and the entire crew pretends they don't see it. First and only time I've ever broken something during a game (RIP couch!). I don't know that I've ever enjoyed a sporting event less. We've had 3 postseason games with Alabama, and they're always so tense and miserable. Knowing the boys are going to have to play a damn near perfect game, have them actually do just that, and see it go up in flames is such a special experience.

No Minnesota Miracle or Rams no-call?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 3:08 PM, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

December 1st, 2007.

 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=273350277

 

I'm going to brag and boast and say that nothing can top this perfect storm of awfulness.

 

Let me quickly set the scene: WVU is ranked #2 in the BCS, #2 in the AP poll, and #1 in the Coaches poll.  A win against bitter rival Pitt guarantees a trip to the National Championship.  Pitt is 4-7 and a 28 point underdog. I'm a wide eyed freshman ready to burn some frickin couches.

 

Long story short -- Offense can't get moving, defense can't stop LeSean McCoy, Pat McAfee misses some kicks and next thing you know, WVU loses 13-9 and Rich Rod is on his way to Michigan.

 

Try and find a comparable loss, its difficult.  In what other instance can you be one win away from a championship appearance only to lose to a terrible giant underdog?  With the FBS Playoff now in effect it can't happen there.  A similiar loss today would just prevent you from making the Playoff, not the title game.  It can't happen in the Final Four, any team you play there would be better by comparison than a 4-7 28 point underdog.  Etc, etc.  Let this be the hill I die on, worst sports loss ever!!!

 

Ipso facto, worst day of my life as a sports fan.  And obviously, its not like WVU is some consistent powerhouse that always gets cracks at title runs.  That adds to the sting.

 

On 11/19/2019 at 12:24 AM, Bucfan56 said:

That whole year sucked. West Virginia vs Missouri would’ve been awesome, and then they both totally face planted and we ended up with the most boring national title game I can ever remember.  

 

I wouldn't say that, speaking for myself. What I will say is that 2007 had to have been the single most random CFB season ever in the history of athletics. Aside from WV and Missouri actually making it to the top of the polls, let me remind us that this was the year South Florida decided to register itself into the national conference, beating Auburn at Auburn in overtime (I remember watching that game live and laughed my head off so hard at Auburn while being so happy for USF), then took down North Carolina, prior to beating West Virginia to get to I think #8, the once Auburn beat Florida, USF jumped all the way up to #2 in the polls (and all this in just their eleventh year in existence!), and then came that game against Rutgers (yeah, speaking of random randomness), which took the wind out of their sails--they ended up losing their last two games and then dropped out the polls altogether.

 

Also embedded in that most random season, ever, speaking of randomness, was the single most random team ever, the freakin' Kansas Jayhawks, led by everyone's favorite coach of all time (haha!), Mark Mangino. I don't think Todd Reesing ever got the credit he probably deserved for his part to play in that season, but this was the team (& season) that produced CBs Aqib Talib and Chris Harris. Somehow they made it to--and won!--the Orange Bowl that postseason against Virginia Tech, wherein aforementioned Talib won game MVP...and then KU just faded right back into obscurity like they were never there in the first place. 

 

Yep...that year was quite the doozy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pat White got hurt in that Pitt-WVU game and that's where the offense went out of their sails right then and there. I can't remember much about that WVU team these days beyond White, Steve Slaton, and...was Owen Schmitt on that team?...but I do remember them being a fun team to watch and wishing they had a better fate than they did. That being said, 2007's craziness was a blast and we've never had a season come close to repeating that since. Ohio State, LSU, and West Virginia all lost crucial late season game at home and Mizzou at the misfortune of playing Oklahoma in the Big XII Championship (the misfortune mainly being that they had play that kind of game, something Ohio State didn't have to do) and, unfortunately for the latter two, they lost those games after the Buckeyes and Tigers lost theirs. That's what put them over the top more than anything else. Kind of a silly thing in college football but it's always been true; if you're gonna lose a game, the earlier the better. Late season losses, in theory, shouldn't hurt any more or any less, but we all know they do.

 

EDIT: Oh, Noel Devine too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of years back of SBNation wrote a whole bunch of stuff for the 10 year anniversary of that season on how bat- :censored: weird all of it was, which was pretty enjoyable

 

https://www.sbnation.com/a/2007-college-football-season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.