Your worst days of your life as a sports fan v2

TrueYankee26

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t watched it yet, but I imagine one of my worst days as a sports fan will be watching The Last Dance and re-living the Jazz ‘98 Finals loss. 

I have upmost respect for those Bulls teams and totally get the cultural phenomenon behind them, but I have to be honest: being a die-hard fan of the team they legendarily beat twice for MJ’s second swan-song (and seeing that understandably sensationalized over the course of two decades) really sucks sometimes. Oh well, at least they got to be part of a great ride I guess.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I'm pretty young so the list doesnt go that far back, but basically every Kansas basketball tournament loss since 2011 (I even wrote a poem about it for school)

2007 football season (I was only two, but I looked back at the rankings and saw the BCS favoritism of the SEC)

2012 National Championship

2013 vs Michigan (I still hate Trey Burke)

2014 Andrew Wiggins selling vs Stanford

2016 Villanova loss

2017 vs Oregon

2018 vs Villanova (again!)

2019- getting mollywhopped by Auburn

2020- having the best team in the country before possible repercussions and having the whole tournament being taken away by a virus. 

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:13

Jeremy Jeffress throws a cutter down and in which allows Justin Turner to go deep late in game 2 of the 2018 NLCS. “Why not game 7?” You ask? Butterfly effect. I still believe if he goes up and in, that never happens. Brewers win games 1, 2, 3 and perhaps 4 rather than 5, we’re going to the World Series. 

It's Me

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/24/2020 at 12:31 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

I haven’t watched it yet, but I imagine one of my worst days as a sports fan will be watching The Last Dance and re-living the Jazz ‘98 Finals loss. 

I have upmost respect for those Bulls teams and totally get the cultural phenomenon behind them, but I have to be honest: being a die-hard fan of the team they legendarily beat twice for MJ’s second swan-song (and seeing that understandably sensationalized over the course of two decades) really sucks sometimes. Oh well, at least they got to be part of a great ride I guess.

Utah Jazz losing two years in a row was a gut punch for me at the time too even though now I don't care about the NBA.  I grew up in Utah but had already moved to Boise, ID during those two NBA Finals. 

Also 2003 Bartman incident was terrible

2008 NLDS Cubs vs Dodgers

1988 NFC championship game Bears vs 49ers

2010 NFC championship game Bears vs Packers

1997 World Series game 7 Indians vs Marlins (Indians are my second fav behind the cubs)

1998, 2006 & 2014 World Cup runs by Brazil ending in disappointment. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here i go...

As a Titans fan: 2019 AFC Championship Game  vs Chiefs: I was so excited to see my favorite team in the Super Bowl for the first time in my life. They took an early lead but it just wasn't meant to be. 

As a Astros fan: 2019 World Series Game 7 vs Nats: Was at that game, flew out from college to see it with my parents. Once again my team takes the lead early but just can't hold on. Then the whole cheating in 2017-18 comes out and being an Astros fan is like you just committed murder. 

As a Mavericks fan: 2012 first round vs OKC: I know we were the underdog going in, but I thought this series would go at least six games, so to see the Mavs get swept after their cinderella run the previous year was a tough one to take. 

As a Stars fan: 2019 second round vs Blues, specifically game 7: Pat 🤬 Maroon. That's all I have to say. Yes, I know they went to the Finals the next year, which took some of the pain away, but they still lost to Tampa in 2020, but god in the moment that game hurt. Man, 2019 was a bad year for my teams. 

xFUdNmt.png

As a Jets fan it was THAT game. Watch as an entire fanbase on national television just died inside. As any sort of passion they had with this franchise just leaves and never comes back. Now imagine seeing ESPN replay your worst moment EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. FOR. AN. ENTIRE. YEAR! Now watch it become an overused un-funny meme for years and years.

• Like 2

XM4KeeA.png

1 hour ago, insert name said:

As a Jets fan it was THAT game. Watch as an entire fanbase on national television just died inside. As any sort of passion they had with this franchise just leaves and never comes back. Now imagine seeing ESPN replay your worst moment EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK. FOR. AN. ENTIRE. YEAR! Now watch it become an overused un-funny meme for years and years.

I'm more  a Bills than Seahawks fan, but it was hard not to be all-in during their Super Bowl runs in the early 2010s.

That Sherman face screenshot was everywhere for a long time; I know how you feel.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 hours ago, Kooky01 said:

Here i go...

As a Titans fan: 2019 AFC Championship Game  vs Chiefs: I was so excited to see my favorite team in the Super Bowl for the first time in my life. They took an early lead but it just wasn't meant to be. 

As a Astros fan: 2019 World Series Game 7 vs Nats: Was at that game, flew out from college to see it with my parents. Once again my team takes the lead early but just can't hold on. Then the whole cheating in 2017-18 comes out and being an Astros fan is like you just committed murder. 

As a Mavericks fan: 2012 first round vs OKC: I know we were the underdog going in, but I thought this series would go at least six games, so to see the Mavs get swept after their cinderella run the previous year was a tough one to take. 

As a Stars fan: 2019 second round vs Blues, specifically game 7: Pat 🤬 Maroon. That's all I have to say. Yes, I know they went to the Finals the next year, which took some of the pain away, but they still lost to Tampa in 2020, but god in the moment that game hurt. Man, 2019 was a bad year for my teams. 

How did being a Nashville/Houston/Dallas/Dallas fan happen

39 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

How did being a Nashville/Houston/Dallas/Dallas fan happen

My Parents grew up Houston Oiler fans and stayed that way even when the team moved to Tennessee. Their fandom eventully got passed down to me. Astros because of my parents again, they even met at a 'Stros game. Mavs and Stars because we moved to Dallas in 2011 and I got into the NBA and NHL while I lived there. 

• Like 2

xFUdNmt.png

Most Heartbreaking:

1.) 2004 AFCCG Steelers loss to Patriots, 41-27. Spurred my hatred of anything related to Tom Brady (Pats were clearly the better team though).

2.) 2008 Stanley Cup Final Penguins loss to Red Wings, 4-2. Wings were the favorite and the better team, but seeing the playoff run come to a bitter end was devastating.

Most Frustrating:

1.) 2013 ECF Penguins loss to Bruins, 4-0. This teetered on embarrassing actually, given that the Pens were the #1 seed.

2.) 2015 WC Pirates loss to Cubs. Watching Garrett Cole implode was agonizing.

Most Embarrassing:

1.) 2017 AFC Divisional Steelers loss to Jaguars, 45-42. How tf do you score 42 points at home in a playoff game and lose to Blake Bortles?

2.) 2020 AFC Wild Card Steelers loss to Browns, 48-37. Would be #1 if I didn't feel sympathetic to the Browns, because yikes, what a disaster.

3.) 2011 AFC Wild Card Steelers loss to Broncos, 29-23 OT. Steelers go from being one game out from the league's best record to one-and-done versus Tebow.

4.) 2016 AFCCG Steelers loss to Patriots, 36-17. I've never seen the Steelers look as uncompetitive as they have in a winner-take-all scenario as I did in this game.

NSFCvyu.png

• 9 months later...

Know i'm a little late, but I got 2 new ones

Stars losing game 7 to Calgary (Jake Oettinger plays his heart out yet Dallas can't score in the clutch)

Mavs laying an egg against GSW (Just a disappointment. Hade SOOOOOO much hope after slapping the Suns out, but I guess it was too good to be true)

xFUdNmt.png

On 4/24/2020 at 1:31 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

Adding to this: the top-seeded Jazz bowing out to the Clippers last year in a blaze of glory is right up there now with the Jordan shot and aftermath.

Last year’s Jazz team was the first since Stockton/Malone that I legitimately (and excitedly) thought had a real chance to finally win it all. For that team to really be “same old Jazz” in contender’s clothing after all was a crushing gut punch that hurts all the more now that they have significantly regressed a year later. 

In all truth, that moment and the regression that followed has killed a lot of trust or hope I have in this team pulling it together anytime soon. They’re too good at teasing hope and not only failing to follow through, but absolutely faceplanting along the way.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png