Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well...the Blue Jays' and Astros' "Baseball Uniform 101" makeovers were so popular they went back to them over the crazier 70s stuff. And powder blue is effectively dead outside of the occasional throwback. 

I consider "Baseball Uniform 101" to be the changes the Padres, Astros, Brewers, etc. made in the 90s.  For the most part, they were all perfectly fine uniforms that followed most or all of the unwritten rules  But they were devoid of any character that caused the more outlandish uniforms to catch on.

As far as powder blue, I find it telling that whenever another team does a tribute to the Brewers, they generally base it on the 1980s powder blues.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Mind you, none of these promotions (at least not to my knowledge) had anything specifically to do with the 80s.  

As far as city-nickname monograms, I think they can work in certain instances and I would consider the Rockies an example.  While the mark itself hasn't aged so well, it helps them stand out compared to all the other teams that just use a C.  I would hope that if the Rockies ever rebrand, they did so with some version of a CR and resist the urge to use the C from the state flag.  They they'd REALLY look like the Cubs.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I consider "Baseball Uniform 101" to be the changes the Padres, Astros, Brewers, etc. made in the 90s.  For the most part, they were all perfectly fine uniforms that followed most or all of the unwritten rules  But they were devoid of any character that caused the more outlandish uniforms to catch on.

That's my point though. The Blue Jays and Astros traded in their outlandish uniforms of the 70s and 80s for "Baseball Uniform 101" versions of those looks in the 90s, before each went off to experiment with wildly different identities. And when the time came to return to their roots? They went with the more traditional 90s uniforms as the base over outlandish 70s/80s looks.

You claim that these teams went to less memorable uniforms in the 90s, but I look at both now and see them wearing essentially modified versions of their early/mid 90s identities. The wackier stuff from earlier remains relegated to the occasional throwback.

18 minutes ago, NicDB said:

As far as powder blue, I find it telling that whenever another team does a tribute to the Brewers, they generally base it on the 1980s powder blues.

That's true, but there hasn't been a full-time powder blue road uniform in MLB since what? The late 80s/early 90s? It's something that gets brought up from time time, but no team ever goes for it. We've had more full time khaki road uniforms in the last twenty-five years than we've had full time powder blue.

Maybe the Brewers returning to the ball-in-glove will signal a return to powder blue on the road, but in keeping with the above-mentioned trend of the Jays and Astros, as well as the fact that the Brewers seem to be tweaking the ball-in-glove already? I would guess that a uniform akin to the 1990-1993 look is more likely than anything that uses a powder blue road set.

1 hour ago, packerfan21396 said:

Brand new mural in a northern Milwaukee suburb by me in a "revitalizing" (but yet planning on being the exact same as it once was) mall:

Murals like that are never permanent. The very nature of that sort of artwork emphasizes creativity. It'll be replaced by something else sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Woo - glad I gave myself the smallest of outs on that one 🙂

Thanks for the input. I will no longer Canuck-jack this discussion 🙂

No worries. You weren't jacking any discussion 😄

It's good to be challenged on preconceived notions.

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Murals like that are never permanent. The very nature of that sort of artwork emphasizes creativity. It'll be replaced by something else sooner rather than later.

Eh... depends.  There's a "permanent" (meaning, one's been up for 10 years so far) huge murals near me on the sides of large/old buildings.  One celebrating the Phillies NL/WS championships, with key players from each era all around them.  I can't recall the exact error unless I go look at it again, but there's something... that probably only I notice.\

EDIT: Re Phillies, there's at least one player with a front number under his script, which was never a thing:

2010-014_Phillies_01.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Seeing the evolution of the Brewers logo and its modification upon the return of the BiG makes me ever if, had the Expos survived, would elb have made it this long?

The BiG and elb are from the same abstract design family, and they probably live with others I can't immediately remember (Nordiques, maybe?). It was a cool time for sports design, not abstract isn't really possible anymore; people seem to need to be hit over the head with whatever "it" is. The NBA, in fact, requires it.

It's a real bummer.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

45 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Seeing the evolution of the Brewers logo and its modification upon the return of the BiG makes me ever if, had the Expos survived, would elb have made it this long?

The BiG and elb are from the same abstract design family, and they probably live with others I can't immediately remember (Nordiques, maybe?). It was a cool time for sports design, not abstract isn't really possible anymore; people seem to need to be hit over the head with whatever "it" is. The NBA, in fact, requires it.

It's a real bummer.

Portland Trail Blazers, Trident Mariners, and much of the original NASL comes to mind. The Montreal Allouettes just released a new logo that definitely takes its cues from the abstract bird they wore in the 1970s.

Now that I think of it... how much of that trend was spurred by Montreal hosting the World's Fair in 1967 and the Olympics in 1976? Presumably introducing a lot of visitors to abstract French-Canadian style design?

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Sadly, yes. If it made it to the early ‘00s, it would have undoubtedly made it to today. That’s a shame because it was one of the worst examples of “abstract” design. I’ve been over it before, but my issue is that the “M” gets lost among the e, b, and unintended l. The “M” isn’t even a good “M.”

The BiG and elb are from the same abstract design family, and they probably live with others I can't immediately remember (Nordiques, maybe?).

Well, Todd Radom compiled a good guide:

spacer.png

I’d say that there’s a lot of good ones here and a lot of garbage.

Good: Blazers, North Stars, Hawks, Whalers, Flames, Blue Jays, Flyers, Brewers, Kings, Oilers, Jazz, Royals, Bills

Meh: Phillies, Falcons, Buffalo Braves, Sonics (the ‘67 design was much better), White Sox, Mariners

Garbage: Canucks, Expos, Nordiques

It was a cool time for sports design, not abstract isn't really possible anymore; people seem to need to be hit over the head with whatever "it" is. The NBA, in fact, requires it.

It's a real bummer.

I’d say that it’s still around, albeit in the form of modernizations like the Blazers, Kings, Alouettes, Brewers, Blue Jays, Jazz, and arguably the Calgary Flames and Dallas Stars. 

I’m not counting the stick-in-rink, because Canuckjack.

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Sadly, yes. If it made it to the early ‘00s, it would have undoubtedly made it to today. That’s a shame because it was one of the worst examples of “abstract” design. I’ve been over it before, but my issue is that the “M” gets lost among the e, b, and unintended l. The “M” isn’t even a good “M.”

Well, Todd Radom compiled a good guide:

spacer.png

I’d say that there’s a lot of good ones here and a lot of garbage.

Good: Blazers, North Stars, Hawks, Whalers, Flames, Blue Jays, Flyers, Brewers, Kings, Oilers, Jazz, Nordiques, Royals, Bills

Meh: Phillies, Falcons, Buffalo Braves, Sonics (the ‘67 design was much better), White Sox, Mariners

Garbage: Canucks, Expos, Nordiques

This is awesome! Thanks for compiling.

I disagree that Phillies is "meh," the maroon and white (and blue) was so nice in the 80s and while I don't ever expect it to come back, wouldn't mind if it would. Ditto Braves; it was far too cool a logo (not as much a name) for a city like Buffalo. It's a shame it became an equally nice Clippers logo; it would have been nice for that Braves logo to endure.

Re: Expos as "garbage"? How dare you.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The Falcons, Mariners, and White Sox are about the only ones I don't like there, and the Sox batterman isn't bad so much as better suited to an update of the MLB logo than an individual team's logo. The Trail Blazers, Whalers, Blue Jays, North Stars, Flyers, and Brewers are all among the very best.

The Expos and Nordiques are charming bits of French-Canadiana, I don't care what their flaws are. And then there's the Laval Voisins:

1883.gif

If a logo could make the WGBH Boston sounder, this one would.

EDIT: Oh, I didn't notice the stick-in-rink in there, I hate that logo so much. Sucks the most.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, DG_Now said:

This is awesome! Thanks for compiling.

I disagree that Phillies is "meh," the maroon and white (and blue) was so nice in the 80s and while I don't ever expect it to come back, wouldn't mind if it would.

You’re welcome! It's Todd Radom's compilation, but I thought it was useful to have here with some commentary.

I agree on the maroon/powder blue part. The logo looked better without the “seam,” IMHO:

spacer.png

Ditto Braves; it was far too cool a logo (not as much a name) for a city like Buffalo. It's a shame it became an equally nice Clippers logo; it would have been nice for that Braves logo to endure.

The Rocket-B (that’s not a feather) isn’t as good as this:

spacer.png

The Rocket-B just doesn’t do it for me, even if the design is solid.

Re: Expos as "garbage"? How dare you.

I’ve never been able to like it. It’s the worst bits of the “abstract” school of design all rolled into one. The poor construction of the “M,” the accidental “l,” the retroactive inclusion of the “b,” and the competition for attention all make it an iffy design. I get that it has brand equity and Expos fans/people wanting a nostalgic experience may like it, but I don’t think I ever will.

I had an Expos hat in the mid-90s (which is as sure a sign I'd find sports logos and uniforms interesting into adulthood), and the day I saw the "M" comprised of the individual parts was an exciting one. I agree the "l" is superfluous, but it's not really an "l" and more literal white space that 1.) makes the "M" and 2.) captures the red/white/blue of the French and/or Montreal flag.

kfywLT8A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Hard to see that as anything but an “I”.  And in any case, that much negative space in a logo that’s supposed to be comprised of multiple letters is a problem. 

Plus the Montreal flag doesn’t have any significant blue on it.  

For sure, and these are all fair points. The Montreal flag notion is a bit of a stretch.

I just like the logo though. 🤷‍♂️

The elb was never a particular favorite of mine, but I'd feel like a hypocrite if I didn't acknowledge that a lot of the things I've said in favor of the BiG also apply to the elb.  In fact, they both have the "vindicated by history" factor in their favor.  Even if they tried to put a team called the Expos in Montreal without figuring the elb into their brand, it would only be a matter of time before we had another Brewers/Padres situation on our hands.

2 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Not a feather? They were the Buffalo Braves. How is that not a feather?

It looks more like a rocket than a feather, IMHO. I know it's supposed to be a feather, but it doesn't look that much like one. It's probably why the "commercial wokeness" of the NBA allowed the throwback.

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It looks more like a rocket than a feather, IMHO. I know it's supposed to be a feather, but it doesn't look that much like one. It's probably why the "commercial wokeness" of the NBA allowed the throwback.

Always thought it was 2 missiles, until someone pointed it out that it was a feather

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

9 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's a feather, then?

It's where I sit.

I like the curent Brew Crew uniforms, although I'm a big fan of throwbacks, I can't see the Brewers going back to royal blue and yellow gold. Keep the current Navy and old gold uniforms and logos, but put the mb glove as a secondary logo on uniforms sleeves.

Or do they do this already?

Archived