Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, please don’t go to that old site.  It’s embarrassing. 🥴

That was a common Brewers mark in the mid- to late-40s. You’re right that it never appeared on a jersey, although they did use it on promotional materials. 

And they had different versions of that heavy brush script:

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Oh, please don’t go to that old site.  It’s embarrassing. 🥴

I figured it was your site, but couldn't find your name on it. 👍

Subtle differences: That mark on the Swinging Owgust score card has capital letter "E"s and a drop shadow.

It is also bolder and less arched than other contemporary versions (also from your site):

49brewers.jpg

I think it would look good on a red alternate that could be worn along with other American Association garb on the occasional "Borchert Field Saturday," timed perhaps to coincide with Wisconsin Football Saturdays (yes, I realize that the seasons overlap by only one month).

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Yeah, they had at least five or six different versions of that one.  This is 1944, 1945, 1947, 1950, and 1951.

1944scorecard01.jpgvtg-1945-milwaukee-brewers-minor_1_f96563c1a35cbd6755c8ed4aac05dd7a.jpg1947scorecard1.jpg1950scorecard01.jpg1951_MilwaukeeBrewersProgram.jpg

I would love to see an ongoing acknowledgment of the original Brewers, but I'm not sure about a red alternate.  That's stepping too far outside their regular palette for my taste.

Something like this would be good for a jersey script:

1951schedule_cover.jpg

A little late on the cap monogram representing both the location and the team nickname but my brain has always read the Rockies cap as ColoRado which I know is wrong but it's like my mind isn't able to accept it as both Colorado and Rockies together so I'm falsely justifying it as being location only. I think I'm the only person who has ever had this issue. 

The issue of the Rockies' monogram is a tough one for me, because you already have standalone Cs for Chicago, Cincinnati, and now Cleveland, with the Chicago and Cincinnati Cs being classic baseball logos. Going CR to break from the pack admittedly makes some sense, but it lacks the cleverness of the ball-in-glove in breaking the location-only rule. My solution would be a D for Denver, but I guess that would offend the sensibilities of people in Fort Collins, so that's not an option.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The issue of the Rockies' monogram is a tough one for me, because you already have standalone Cs for Chicago, Cincinnati, and now Cleveland, with the Chicago and Cincinnati Cs being classic baseball logos. Going CR to break from the pack admittedly makes some sense, but it lacks the cleverness of the ball-in-glove in breaking the location-only rule. My solution would be a D for Denver, but I guess that would offend the sensibilities of people in Fort Collins, so that's not an option.

"Colorado Rockies" is used outside of sports, though. There's a reason they didn't name them Denver Rockies.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

17 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't care, I don't like naming sports teams after states, and especially not big empty rectangles.

Dallas Rangers?

Nah. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

24 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't care, I don't like naming sports teams after states, and especially not big empty rectangles.

Since when has Colorado been empty? Wyoming, sure but not Colorado. 

Archived