daveindc

Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

Before. it was an "m" and a "b" cleverly put together to resemble a baseball glove. Now, it's a poorly-drawn four-fingered baseball glove. Little changes, big difference. Kinda what this board is about in the first place.

3 hours ago, tp49 said:

If I ever have enough money to buy and operate a minor league team I'm going to put it in Cheyenne and name it the "Wyoming Wasteland."  

It'll remind me of the drive across the state on I-80.

That's better than my idea of the Wilseyville Lady Collectors.

Spoiler

charles-ng-and-leonard-lake.png?w=476

Leonard Lake and Charles Ng - let's see Brandiose handle that (note: true crime Brandiose has been an idea I've had for a while)! 

But back to the new BiG - I'm good with it! If they couldn't bring back the original as a full-time design, it's a good replacement. I get the vitriol, but I don't agree with it. The shift isn't all that big, the new seams are a slight upgrade, and I like the new overall shape. Sure, the extra line might be problematic, but I'd like to think of it as a tip on the "m." The two letters are still differentiated enough for the message not to be lost. It's not to the same level as the original, but it's still an excellent mark like the original.

Granted, I'm in favor of this design:

5Jsknxu.png?1

It blends a bit of the American Association Milwaukee Brewers and Milwaukee Braves with the 2000-2019 Brewers, while avoiding the "Michigan" problem.

49 minutes ago, PoppersPop said:

Honestly, I think if the before and after were flipped, people would be complaining about the very things they say are superior.

That’s interesting. 

Shall we talk next about the deep psychological disturbance that makes you analyze your fellow posters rather than address the quality of their arguments? 😛

I think it's more of a "damned if you toy with perfection" situation.

And yes, BiG haters, I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.  But the original was absolutely perfect for what it was.  There was no reason for any of these changes to happen.

Now can we get some uniform leaks on here?  This rebrand could use a bit of redemption.

14 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I think it's more of a "damned if you toy with perfection" situation.

And yes, BiG haters, I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.  But the original was absolutely perfect for what it was.  There was no reason for any of these changes to happen.

Now can we get some uniform leaks on here?  This rebrand could use a bit of redemption.

Exactly.  

The BiG has never been my favorite Brewers logo.  But it does have its merits, and this “update” obliterates them for no discernible reason.  Other than, I guess, because “they could”?  Maybe?

This is not a “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” situation.  Because the Brewers found a third option there, and not a good one.  This is more a “damned if you do it but you don’t do it right” situation. 

I get why they did the closed in mitt and colored the part between the m and b yellow, so it appears consistent throughout everything, before it was suppose to be white in between, but you'd see it with blue inbetween or even yellow sometimes. Now it's always gonna be the same.

12 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The BiG has never been my favorite Brewers logo.  But it does have its merits, and this “update” obliterates them for no discernible reason. 

Honestly, that just seems like an overreaction. It's close enough and I honestly don't have a problem with the changes. It's not like it's suddenly awful or something like that, that's just hyperbolic. The original is better, but the difference isn't big enough for it to ruin the design for me.

Granted, it'd be nice if the team caught some flak for it and clarified why they did it. A quickie press release should suffice, with maybe some kind of arrangement for the old logo to come back at some point (provided the team doesn't invest too much in changing up the park's signage for it).

Their now old brew label script was a solid design. It still looks nice, but I kinda agree that it was time to update it, to change it up a bit.

There's a reason why they kept it for as long as they did.

I have yet to hear a decent reason why the navy of the m and b meet, it distracts the eye and is a complete downgrade.

As a Minnesotan who has owns one peice of Wisconsin merchandise, a BiG hat, this is disappointing.

At least the seams on the ball aren't red.

Small victory.

4 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

“Inertia” is honestly the only reason I can see.  It’s not a great design, trying so hard to be matchy-matchy while having glaring inconsistencies.  And Times New Roman. And that truncated tail. 

I honestly think that the retro set allowed this one to linger way too long. Having those sales took the pressure off this one to deliver.

4 minutes ago, SCL said:

I have yet to hear a decent reason why the navy of the m and b meet, it distracts the eye and is a complete downgrade.

That’s my biggest problem.  Ruins the cleverness of the “mb”. 

I feel like I should be more mad about this than I am. It seems like a wholly unnecessary change, but I’m actually rather intrigued on where they go with this. I don’t hate it, just yet? 

20 minutes ago, SCL said:

As a Minnesotan who has owns one peice of Wisconsin merchandise, a BiG hat, this is disappointing.

Because a mitt that doesn't have a connection between the thumb and fore-finger would be be bad at its job. 

81ZSmQPTGGL._SX425_.jpg 

Even the earlier mitts had them. 

Early-1950s-Baseball-Mitt-Rizzuto-model-

Lots of complaining on here about a thing that 98% of the entire state of Wisconsin will view as a massive upgrade. Is it perfect? No. Do I prefer the Navy/Athletic logo version that has been used the last few years? Yes.....This one seems too elongated where the previous version was very squared and seemed more even, and I agree the connection of the web distracts the eye.  

However, it's still (essentially) a return to a logo that BY FAR the most beloved in Brewers history. If you see Brewer fans anywhere wearing gear it way more likely to be any version of the BiG over the wheat M and it's not even close! This will be celebrated universally in Wisconsin and will be viewed as a major success. Uniforms we obviously have no clue about yet but the logo switch will be a PR dream for the team. 

Also, navy makes way more sense than royal blue: 

1) It is a way to have a refreshed retro look. The navy makes it look like 2019 and not 1982

2) Miller Park has very dark tones throughout it, royal would seem out of place as the permanent main color instead of just retro nights (which in my opinion they will not get rid of through this change)

3) Can't have a retro identity if you new identity is the exact same. The royal/navy differences allows for both to exist still

4) Navy just looks better with athletic gold. I think the PITT rebrand is a prime example of something that looked great in throwbacks can look loud and out of place as a permanent solution

1 minute ago, habsfan1 said:

“Inertia” is honestly the only reason I can see.  It’s not a great design, trying so hard to be matchy-matchy while having glaring inconsistencies.

I honestly think that the retro set allowed this one to linger way too long. Having those sales took the pressure off this one to deliver.

51 minutes ago, SCL said:

Maybe it connects so there’s a better chance of it not going through Grisham’s glove...maybe that’s what happened with the previous hole. LOL 😂 (too soon?!)

28 minutes ago, espnboy13 said:

Lots of complaining on here about a thing that 98% of the entire state of Wisconsin will view as a massive upgrade.

More massive an upgrade than just using the navy ball in glove?

if not, then the “complaining” is justified. 

42 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

I feel like I should be more mad about this than I am. It seems like a wholly unnecessary change, but I’m actually rather intrigued on where they go with this. I don’t hate it, just yet? 

Conversely, I feel like I'm more mad about this than I should be?

But then I see the new one side-by-side with my avatar, and........