Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

19 minutes ago, McCall said:

It was never their "best" look. Most "nickname-appropriate"? Sure. But you can slap a piece of barley on a bad identity and it's still a bad identity.

I think this is why I considered it their best look.

I love the Ball in Glove logo. Does it say "This is a team called the Milwaukee Brewers"? Not at all. It's kind of like the Detroit Pistons. There's nothing in their logo that provokes anything about the team name. I get that not all logos have to do that, but sometimes it's nice when it happens.

I'm also just a fan of Navy and Gold in general, and am sad that it's pretty much out of sports (I feel like the Pelicans look is muddied up by the bright red).

With that said, I'm not a Milwaukee Brewers fan, I see them on TV maybe 15-20 times a year when they play the Reds. My opinion doesn't, and shouldn't, matter to them. Maybe ten years from now we'll just recycle some other design from the team's past.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The only problem with the new logo is that it looks like a change for the sake of making a change and it's not an improvement overall so it becomes why even bother making these changes? With that said, the majority of people won't even notice these changes so it's not really a big deal beyond these boards and "people like us."

Brewers management likely thinks the 2020 logo needed to be different so people would buy it and not stick with the old B-in-G gear. Let's not overthink this. It wasn't a design decision.

After seeing the higher res new leaked image, I like it more than I thought. The all yellow part of the webbing is a little distracting now, like others said I find my eye going up to that part now that there's no white there. It almost needs white to balance it out again with the white from the ball.

I'm more excited/scared to see the jerseys and the BREWERS and MILWAUKEE wordmarks. If they look similar to the text in the circle logo I think it will be pretty good.

Nice pic of the Braun era gold jersey! I loved those jerseys...they only looked good in the sun like in the photo here. But when the roof was closed they look much darker and very mustardy and not as appealing. I actually even own one :)

27 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

After seeing the higher res new leaked image, I like it more than I thought. The all yellow part of the webbing is a little distracting now, like others said I find my eye going up to that part now that there's no white there. It almost needs white to balance it out again with the white from the ball.

I'm more excited/scared to see the jerseys and the BREWERS and MILWAUKEE wordmarks. If they look similar to the text in the circle logo I think it will be pretty good.

Nice pic of the Braun era gold jersey! I loved those jerseys...they only looked good in the sun like in the photo here. But when the roof was closed they look much darker and very mustardy and not as appealing. I actually even own one :)

I agree with almost all of this.

I actually think this logo is pretty good. I've thought the last couple years how do you somewhat modernize the BiG. Centering the ball in the glove is an upgrade. I like the stitching change. The connection and webbing is a little meh, but I don't really feel strongly one way or the other on it.

The current unis, including the gold jersey, all looked good under the sun and drab under the roof. Where the royal and athletic gold looked good under the roof as well. The bright athletic gold is awesome and I understand the navy. They'll be able to sell royal as the nostalgia.

The removal of the gap between the M and the B is why this is such an improvement.  Having a random hole within yellow outlines never looked right especially when it resulted in the hole having different colors depending on the background. Plus, the hole is so small that it always looked like it was a reproduction issue as opposed to an intentional design element.

And for all the complaining about the connection between the letters, that's why this is such an improvement.  The old logo had very bizarre serifs that were chopped off in the middle of yellow outlines and this rectifies that.

Again, I hate to no end that they insisted on bringing this back when they have such a great name to play with but at least they're fixing the issues that carried over from the hand-drawn original.

VmWIn6B.png

I saw a comment stating the old ball was center weighing the entire logo, which is true. It causes some symmetry issues with the glove portion. And now with it completely centered,!8 can’t unsee the flaws of having it centered to the glove. It’s way too low and throws off the whole look. The ball is simply too low. There is no true focal point anymore

its simply a bad NEW design. There’s no way around it. 

I would rather have symmetry issues on the B glove than throw off the entire symmetry and balance of the entire logo. I can’t unsee the unbalanced ball. It’s literally too perfect and machine made. 

Centering the ball in the b is bad design for exactly the same reason that columns taper at the top; if columns were perfectly straight all the way they’d appear top-heavy.  Centering the ball makes the white space (which the eye is naturally drawn to) too low on the overall logo.  

This design flaw, bad enough on its own, is accentuated by the decision to elongate the top of the logo.  Stretching out the top makes the white is pushed even farther to the bottom.

Yeah.

If one were to draw lines and intersection points, I think you’d find dead center of the old logo is where 25% of the top of the ball is nearest to center. 

With the new logo, there is no point where any of the ball touches the dead center radius. They’ve moved the ball a good 75%. 

if you don’t think it’s a big deal or you don’t see it, focus your eyes on the ball of the first logos. And then try that with the second. Unless the ball was never supposed to be any focal point?

2 hours ago, fnz said:

I think this is why I considered it their best look.

I love the Ball in Glove logo. Does it say "This is a team called the Milwaukee Brewers"? Not at all. It's kind of like the Detroit Pistons. There's nothing in their logo that provokes anything about the team name. I get that not all logos have to do that, but sometimes it's nice when it happens.

I'm also just a fan of Navy and Gold in general, and am sad that it's pretty much out of sports (I feel like the Pelicans look is muddied up by the bright red).

With that said, I'm not a Milwaukee Brewers fan, I see them on TV maybe 15-20 times a year when they play the Reds. My opinion doesn't, and shouldn't, matter to them. Maybe ten years from now we'll just recycle some other design from the team's past.

I think it's EXACTLY like the Detroit Pistons. It's a great comparison. The Pistons in the '90s switched to a visual identity more in line with their nickname, only to hear fans clamor for the old days and switch back to an updated version of that. Much like the Brewers, its most identifiable mark doesn't represent the name of the team at all, but over time it's become the mark most closely associated with its brand. 

12 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The newer one is actually cleaner than the older one by design. That being said, it's still a slight downgrade because like mentioned, it originally focused more on two letters forming a ball in a glove. The new one feels more focused on looking like a ball in a glove and then two letters forming it. I can still live with it though. At least they finally picked between the M wheat and BiG; I hated how they were BOTH used equally.

Fun fact: The stitching in the old BiG logo is very similar to the one in the Phillies' throwback logo.

I think everyone is being nitpicky here.  I would much prefer this new BiG logo a millions times more than the crap they current wear. 

1 hour ago, Survival79 said:

I would like to thank the Brewers for replacing the off-center tennis ball with a centered baseball. Now I won't have to do it in my mind anymore.

gzrmyZT.png

Tennis balls and baseballs have the exact same seam lines. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

I think it's EXACTLY like the Detroit Pistons. It's a great comparison. The Pistons in the '90s switched to a visual identity more in line with their nickname, only to hear fans clamor for the old days and switch back to an updated version of that. Much like the Brewers, its most identifiable mark doesn't represent the name of the team at all, but over time it's become the mark most closely associated with its brand. 

I've always thought that the mark looked like a stylized top of a piston head.

primary_new.png710x528_2210867_466772_1459328076.jpg

Granted, this just makes me want to do a "Rotaries" parody, but I'm afraid my computer would blow up after delivering minuscule amounts of torque and being way too expensive to operate. 😛

40 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Tennis balls and baseballs have the exact same seam lines. 

Yes but a tennis ball doesn't have actual laces so drawing a baseball with just a wavy line that doesn't in any way imply laces can make it look like a tennis ball. Every other MLB logo that shows seams shows laces. The ball in glove never showed laces. The Marlins primary logo implies a baseball using only the laces and it's the laces that let you know it's implying a baseball. If the Marlins logo using a curved line without the laces you might not realize it was supposed to be a baseball. So, bottom line, the laces are important and the ball in glove has never used laces so it could definitely look like a tennis ball.

3 hours ago, LMU said:

The removal of the gap between the M and the B is why this is such an improvement.  Having a random hole within yellow outlines never looked right especially when it resulted in the hole having different colors depending on the background. Plus, the hole is so small that it always looked like it was a reproduction issue as opposed to an intentional design element.

This, so much this. I'm admittedly not well-versed in baseball aesthetics, but I actually really like that they've made the MB less obvious in the new BiG as compared to the original. The old BiG had the gap in the M and B, which was an unnecessary and ultimately detrimental part of the logo.

The Whalers are another great example of minimalism; the logo was incredibly well-designed, making great use of minimal components and negative space to subtly weave the team initials into the logo's design.

It's really just two parts; a whale fluke and a W; but it's designed in such a way that an H is there when you look closer, while not drawing overt attention to that H. There's no superfluous elements in that logo; every component ties together into one cohesive image. Separating the M and B in the BiG actually, to me, hinders the logo more then it ever helped.

Without that gap, the BiG's a cohesive single logo that has more complex elements when you look at it more closely, just like the Whalers' logo. I'd love them to still find a way to incorporate wheat into the identity to tie to the team name, but the BiG this way is a very solid mark to build a brand around.

13 hours ago, Survival79 said:

PAFduVr.png

If they would just separate the m and the b again then I'd be all for this new one which is really just cleaning up all the odd quirks about the old one. Of course many will miss those quirks and I do understand that as well.

This update feels like getting a nice haircut when you just had some really cool looking but wild hairstyle. Technically you fixed up your style but you also just lost all the cool uniqueness of it.

Archived