Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

19 minutes ago, the admiral said:

1) That rivalry is not reciprocal, therefore it ain't worth sweatin'

2) As a Cubs fan who wants the Brewers back in pinstripes, I've always rationalized it by the Yankees and Red Sox both employing navy blue

That’s news to me. The Cubs-Brewers rivalry isn’t on the level of the Cardinals or White Sox, but it’s gotten real good the last couple seasons as Milwaukee’s turned into a contender. 

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

So, why is that? Is that just a personal preference because you like the look, or is there some historical precedent to why a cubs fan would want the Brewers in pinstripes? 

Personal preference with a dash of regard to what the locals seem to like the most. It's what they wore in '82 when they won the pennant and had that George Webb winning streak. My favorite iteration is the one with the tailed scripts from the early '90s, but any royal blue, athletic gold, and pinstripes would be ideal. I'm not coming at it from the perspective of a Cubs fan so much as someone who's familiar with the area and what seems to be the enduring vision of the Brewers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thanks. I think it’s the application of it on a raised surface. Maybe its the overseas trash quality their new caps have. Show me where BiG looked so bloated in the past. Even the angle on the Yelich up close shot is odd. If every angle makes it look odd, maybe it is in fact odd. 

4 minutes ago, GFB said:

This is basically where I’m at as well. Instead of wading through the rich history of Brewers baseball and selecting only the two or three best flavors, this identity is the equivalent of getting EVERY flavor of Brewers baseball and mixing it altogether until it’s a big bowl of visual mush. 

They couldn’t commit to choosing only navy blue, so they added royal blue as a token gesture. They couldn’t let go of the modern-wheat era, so they created the new “wheat ball.” They couldn’t simply do a state of Wisconsin mark, it had to be Wisconsin AND bricks (?) AND a “M” AND a baseball for the location of Milwaukee. 

Nailed it. It feels a little too much like one of those NBA identities from ten years ago where they get a new logo, but also recolor the previous logo, then repeat the cycle once more, and then bring in a freshened up version of an old logo until they have a full stable of logos that span every era of the team but have little or no stylistic connection to one another.

While it’s great for licensing and merchandising and keeping your inventory fresh and having all kinds of new stuff to put on jerseys that last all of three years on the field, none of it really supports the building of a long-term identity or brand. This hodgepodge, everything-AND-the-kitchen-sink approach really doesn’t work for me, but I will say that if that’s the direction “branding” is headed, then we need to do a better job of linking all the pieces together.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 minute ago, BJ Sands said:

That’s news to me. The Cubs-Brewers rivalry isn’t on the level of the Cardinals or White Sox, but it’s gotten real good the last couple seasons as Milwaukee’s turned into a contender. 

The Cubs' biggest rival is the Cardinals. The Cardinals' biggest rival is the Cubs. That's not news! I'm not saying the games don't matter, they do, just that it's not a 1:1 deal.

1 minute ago, BJ Sands said:

Well, Miller Park turns into Wrigley North every Cubs game due to the price difference between ballparks and the Cubs own the Brewers-Cubs series.  The Milwaukee-Chicago rivalry in all of sports is only relevant because of Green Bay Packers-Chicago Bears rivalry rooting an intense state-wide hatred to Chicago.  Historically, the biggest rival to the Brewers is the Twins, hence always playing each other 4 times a year despite now being in opposite leagues.

But, with that being said... :censored: the Cubs.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

44 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Right, I know that, but the bricks aren't cream-colored despite cream being in the color palette now, so what good does it do? 

That's my big pet peeve.... how hard would it have been to make the bricks cream when they already use it in one of the uniforms?

But, frankly, if one of the biggest beefs with the set is the color of an alt logo, I'd say they did pretty damn good. I'm just happy the Brewers look like the Brewers again.

How do they look like "the Brewers again" when they're wearing a new color scheme with a new font? They look better than they did, but I wouldn't call it a restoration of anything.

By its very nature, this board nitpicks. That's in the DNA, and I would expect nothing less. That said, I don't care what you all say, these are nice uniforms. Like, REALLY nice.

Sure, @the admiral, the home unis aren't pinstripes, but they do bear a distinct and admirable resemblance to those post-Pilots inaugural Brewers jerseys of yore, which were gorgeous in their simplicity.

Also, why is nobody talking about the return of the yellow front panel hat? That thing's awesome. 

With the Padres brown and the return of the BiG, we're just a Hartford Whalers resuscitation away from this being one big Sportslogos.net fever dream.

7 minutes ago, packerfan21396 said:

Well, Miller Park turns into Wrigley North every Cubs game due to the price difference between ballparks

If I was a Cubs fan I'd rather drive a bit longer and go to their games in Milwaukee. As much as I liked Wrigley itself, parking around is a hell of a pain...

3 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Also, why is nobody talking about the return of the yellow front panel hat? That thing's awesome. 

As a hat connoisseur, I love wearing my yellow front panel BiG and have a white front panel M barley to match.  Love love love the return of it, especially for the away alt, and I expect the Brewers to paint the batting helmets as such as well.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

3 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

If I was a Cubs fan I'd rather drive a bit longer and go to their games in Milwaukee. As much as I liked Wrigley itself, parking around is a hell of a pain...

Well, Wrigley Field isn't a beloved American sports venue because of ample parking. Ride a train, dummy!

1 minute ago, ThunderCeltic said:

Now the Brewers should add the old school beer barrel from County Stadium and have Bernie slide into it. Also have a Miller High Life and Winston sign on the scoreboard to honor County Stadium.

Definitely something that would make me like the idea of AmFam Park better.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

How do they look like "the Brewers again" when they're wearing a new color scheme with a new font? They look better than they did, but I wouldn't call it a restoration of anything.

Same way the A's have a generalized look in spite of different shades of green and changes to the letterhead A.  You can put these uniforms next to anything from the original BiG era and know right away that it's the same team.

14 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Well, Wrigley Field isn't a beloved American sports venue because of ample parking. Ride a train, dummy!

20 years old me going to the game to get hammered would have said sure. 35 years old me with a couple toddlers and a :censored:load of stuff to carry around definitely prefers driving to games hence why Milwaukee is a decent option with the cheap, easily accessible ample lot with tailgating and stuff... Wrigley is still my number one out of the 24 stadiums I've been to though.

Cubs fan here. I think this look is a huge improvement, though I would have preferred royal to the navy blue. The use of the royal in the logos is weird. I think the new ball in glove is fine but wish the laces on the ball were angled or rotated 45 degrees so it doesn’t look so static. But for the most part I really like the look. 

Archived