Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Minor nitpick, since I think all the scripts look good, the cursive-ish Milwaukee would've been sooooooo cool on the road jersey.

I was just going to post that too.  The more I look at it, the road jersey looks a little Pirates-ish.  The script, while ironically making the set resemble another old Pirates set, would have improved the road jersey. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Good job overall but I have to get my critiques off my chest...

Both home jerseys are good but I find it weird to have the pinstripes be the alternate but that's totally just nitpicking. I'd have made the cream one the alternate, like a Sunday jersey. They're trying to touch different eras of Brewers history but making the one year only 1970 look the primary while making the much more popular 80's pinstripes the alternate seems like a very, very odd choice. But the cream is probably the better jersey so that might be why they went it as the primary.

The new ball in glove is a slight downgrade only because they connected the m with the b. Separate it again and it would be ten times better and I could live with it then.

The navy jersey is kinda ugly and unnecessary except for the beautiful script wordmark. The random head spoon piping doesn't relate to the other uniforms, the whole jersey looks like it came from a different team uniform set, like a random Milwaukee college team. I think I straight up hate this one.

The gray is fine but dull, it would be immensely better if it used the Milwaukee script from the navy jersey like the 93 road uniforms. Do that and drop the navy jersey and the whole set is massively improved.

Man the marketing speak for connecting the m and the b is so bad, along with the one about why the baseball is now in three parts instead of two. Absolutely horrible. Totally feels like they came up with these explanations after the fact to try and justify these two silly changes.

I have to say I do love the baseball pointing out the specific location of Milwaukee in the state logo. That's fabulous, I can't even explain why I love that one so much. It just fits perfectly and doesn't feel forced. Maybe just a happy accident that Milwaukee is located where it is.

The addition of royal blue the way they did it doesn't work. Might as well have scrapped it if they're gonna do it so minimally. No one will ever notice it. I'm not condoning adding a royal cap or jersey but that would have been the only way to make it work because at least it would be noticeable. But just having it be a thin and hard to see line in one of the logos doesn't ever emphasize it at all.

Lastly I can't help but think they're trying too many things at once and they'll suffer from some of the issues that the Twins and Indians have had in recent years where it seems like each uniform is part of different uniform sets. Not everything has to match, I understand that, but one jersey has pinstripes, one is cream, one has headspoon piping, one has thick sleeve piping, one has thin sleeve piping. there's both block wordmarks and a script wordmark too... just too much going on and for a team that had the problem of having three identities in one it feels like they still have three different uniform sets even though they have streamlined them quite a bit. The Padres were able to stay in one lane with a side note of camo which at least is "theirs."

But yes, very good look all around. This will be a hit in Milwaukee.

And wow going into 2020 the worst uniforms in baseball have been immensely upgraded (Arizona) and the two teams with the biggest identity crisis' (Milwaukee and San Diego) have both corrected themselves so MLB is gonna look soooo good as a whole next year. The three bottom barrel uniform teams have all raised the floor so to speak so this is fantastic and gives MLB a much more complete set of great uniforms. There's much less disparity between the best uniforms and the worst ones.

5 minutes ago, GottaDeal said:

Hoping the barrelman replaces the 50th anniversary patches in 2021.

You really don’t want to go into Angels territory with overuse of sleeve patches. 
KztIjwr.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

The Brewers and Padres are both back to looking how they should in the same offseason... it honestly doesn’t completely feel real yet.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. 

After looking at these last night I woke up this morning and while having my morning coffee I thought: "Wait, did I just really wake up to a day when the San Diego Padres are in brown and the Milwaukee Brewers have the ball in glove full time?"

Surreal. It's almost, ALMOST, like this board doesn't have much else to worry about as far as MLB goes.

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

After looking at these last night I woke up this morning and while having my morning coffee I thought: "Wait, did I just really wake up to a day when the San Diego Padres are in brown and the Milwaukee Brewers have the ball in glove full time?"

Surreal. It's almost, ALMOST, like this board doesn't have much else to worry about as far as MLB goes.

We'll have more time to talk about the Browns and the Canucks, which is good. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I do, actually.  At least with the prior set we had a retro throwback option.  Now that’s gone.... 

Don’t get me wrong, there are things that are huge improvements, such as number font and color scheme.  But destroying the logo feels like a breaking point for me. 

I feel ya. I know most love this but you and your love for the Brewers is well documented around here and it feels weird that the Brewers finally got better but that, of all people, Gothamite isn't genuinely happy with it. If anyone around here needed this to go right, it's you. That sucks. Sorry man.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The Marlins and Rays still have some issues though.

bSLCtu2.png

I’ve never been a big fan of the BiG, but it’s popular with fans so whatever, give the people what they want. 
I don’t like the yellow panel cap. I’m never a fan of that style on a pro team, has a very amateurish college/high school feel to me. I’d prefer a yellow billed alternate cap(with a matching squatchee, of course). It’s weird that the piping on the cream jersey and gray jersey don’t match but I’ll get over it because the whole package is good and is a major upgrade over the previous set. Those are just my quick and dirty thoughts on the new uniforms.

Don’t like the A, by the way. Overall, I think the font is good, but the A has some weird shapes/angles going on.spacer.png

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Hold up, why can't the wheat ball be in the BIG logo? That would've been pretty good.

Both logos on their own are pretty good. But mash up'd together, I'm not completely sure. I might make a concept of it for fun, to see.

The Marlins and Rays would be fine if they updated their current looks to put more emphasis on their secondary colors. They don't need a page one rewrite like the Padres and Brewers did.

Personally, I'd put the Rockies at the top of the list for teams that need to change it up. They've had a just OK look for 25 years.

Archived