daveindc

Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, NicDB said:

I wouldn't be so quick to say that's the new logo when this is apparently part of the same set.
spacer.png

It's very possible the Bernie Brewer image is just a mock up.  At least I'm hoping so, because I get more angry everytime I look at that logo. 

 

Unfortunately, those cards are from different sets.

 

The Yelich card is a preview of the 2020 Topps Series 1 Baseball set and was released in July.

 

The Bernie card is a preview of the 2020 Topps Opening Day Baseball set and was released today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leaked: NEW Milwaukee Brewers Ball-in-Glove Logo for 2020

October 29, 2019 - 03:10 AM

It’s been rumoured for years, but now it appears to be finally happening. The Milwaukee Brewers are returning to their classic “Ball-in-Glove” logo full-time for the 2020 season. Thanks to a preview of a new Topps Baseball Card set, we […]

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there I much rejoicing...YAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that logo is real, at least it seems like we're getting the spring training font, which is freakin' awesome.  But that line at the top of the basket is just plain irritating.  Evidently the fundamental appeal of the BiG was lost on the geniuses at Nike... it's a monogram that takes the shape of a piece of equipment that can serve as a logo.  But it's still a monogram first and foremost.  If you take away the defined M and B, it's just a weird looking baseball glove.

Of all the things about the Brewers brand that needed updating, the glove is quite literally the only thing that didn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should rid of their crappy wordmarks. The "B" looks very heavy compared to others and the half-short tail made it even worse.

Also, Why they choose both outline and drop shadow? it looks way cluttered. Another reason, why they using "Brewers" for both the home and road??  they SHOULD use "Milwaukee" for the road. I agree with @Gothamite, The 1948 wordmark is way better than their 90s' and current wordmarks. it's clean and I really liked the tail.

 1948_MajesticJersey_front.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you all officially got your wish.  And it looks like crap.  Be careful what you wish for smh.

 

milwaukee-brewers-new-logo-2020-leak.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

Well, you all officially got your wish.  And it looks like crap.  Be careful what you wish for smh.

 

milwaukee-brewers-new-logo-2020-leak.jpg

I hope that leak is just a messed up version of Brewers' new logo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m excited for this change. It’s crazy because I use to love the current look last decade, but grew to dislike it. I hate the Brewers script on the current uniforms and just think the M is so bland. Like others have said in this thread and the other one the hints have been here for the past couple years with the slow rollout. Especially during the Wildcard celebration the flag was navy and athletic gold with the glove as well as the shirts. 
 

I just love the navy and athletic gold combo. 

Edited by wisbadger1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Eastport76 said:

They should rid of their crappy wordmarks. The "B" looks very heavy compared to others and the half-short tail made it even worse.

Also, Why they choose both outline and drop shadow? it looks way cluttered. Another reason, why they using "Brewers" for both the home and road??  they SHOULD use "Milwaukee" for the road.

 

That's a political relic from when Miller Park was first built. It was to pacify the anti-Milwaukee suburbanites who complained about having to pay for the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, the font and tweaks are not great.

 

The connection of the m and b just looks like a Chinese rip off ball in glove.  A baseball glove looks more like the existing ball in glove than this new one.

 

The spring training fields font has awful angles, exaggerated especially in the Jackie Robinson retired number statue outside the fields:

brewers3.jpg

If that is indeed the font in the roundel, those numbers most likely will be the uniform numbers which is a shame, but seems on brand for Nike.  Also, in terms of brand consistency, the font and ball in glove don't match at all.  You have a modern athletic block with unconventional angles matched with a still 80's vibe, very curvy and abstract logo.  I feel like regardless of the history of the ball in glove uniforms, the ball in glove would benefit from a nice geometric sans serif font.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

Well, you all officially got your wish.  And it looks like crap.  Be careful what you wish for smh.

 

Literally no one wanted the logo to be tweaked, but sure.

 

Still looks better than that crappy wheat M.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, packerfan21396 said:

 

 

The connection of the m and b just looks like a Chinese rip off ball in glove. 

That is exactly what I thought when I saw it.  My eyes are just drawn to that spot and it looks like it should have been an early draft of the original.

 

The other key difference is the two seams in the ball, which I think is an upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s not two shades of blue in there. Not sure how anyone’s seeing that. I’m not sure how I feel about the new M. At first glance I liked it, now I’m not so sure. Kinda makes it too obvious. Need to give it a chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the two shades of blue aren't just a work of web compression playing tricks, Milwaukee should just add powder blue and go triple blue. 

 

Lol. Heads would explode here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

Honestly, the font and tweaks are not great.

 

The connection of the m and b just looks like a Chinese rip off ball in glove.  A baseball glove looks more like the existing ball in glove than this new one.

 

The spring training fields font has awful angles, exaggerated especially in the Jackie Robinson retired number statue outside the fields:

brewers3.jpg

If that is indeed the font in the roundel, those numbers most likely will be the uniform numbers which is a shame, but seems on brand for Nike.  Also, in terms of brand consistency, the font and ball in glove don't match at all.  You have a modern athletic block with unconventional angles matched with a still 80's vibe, very curvy and abstract logo.  I feel like regardless of the history of the ball in glove uniforms, the ball in glove would benefit from a nice geometric sans serif font.

 

I'll grant you the commentary on the glove, but I'm not sure I can take it seriously when you're running down that absolutely gorgeous font that manages to be modern, yet could plausibly be from the 1940s. Speaking of which, who said the Brewers were going for a 1980s look?

 

By your logic, the Packers should have adopted a "smoother" font a long time ago since their logo is nothing but curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NicDB said:

I'll grant you the commentary on the glove, but I'm not sure I can take it seriously when you're running down that absolutely gorgeous font that manages to be modern, yet could plausibly be from the 1940s. Speaking of which, who said the Brewers were going for a 1980s look?

 

By your logic, the Packers should have adopted a "smoother" font a long time ago since their logo is nothing but curves.

You're really not going to allow me to say anything without criticizing it? Alright.

 

I'm not sure I can take this criticism seriously when you're running down the absolutely gorgeous typography of the M barley scripts (note, I said typography, not design, because I know this board hates drop shadows AND borders for whatever reason) and then subsequently lifting up a simple block with new angles as a work of art.

 

1940s athletic blocks were pretty much only 45° angle-constructed (I made plenty of vintage blocks in my NFL 100 Throwback project) if they weren't a gothic (antiquated term used then to describe sans serif) font.  The use of different angles in athletic blocks has became more of a thing in recent years where you have Nike making blocks with some program-significant numbers used for angles like Wake Forest football had and Washington football has.

 

Obviously with the font choice and the seemingly unnecessary glove tweaks, the Brewers were attempting to modernize.  That being said, stylistically, my point is that the font and the style of the ball in glove don't mix well for brand consistency sake.

 

The Packers are a completely different situation where you have the most storied franchise in all of professional sports wearing a logo originally meant to be shaped like a football and the closest thing modern day football has to a vintage athletic block.  The Packers will never and should never go to a "smoother" font because geometric sans serif football numbers are done by the rest of the NFC North, but most notably, the Bears.  Both the G and the classic uniform are iconic in their own right and are never used together, literally separated on the uniform. Whereas, the Brewers modern block and ball in glove are in the same logo even.

 

The 80s BiG had a nice sans serif to go with it that worked well, so it wouldn't be a stretch to say that the new roundel would look good if not better with a sans serif as well because it fits.  Say what you want about the use of Times New Roman, but it matched the M barley and its brush scripts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.