Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

8 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

If that's the case than why strive for continuity between any uniform set in any sport? 

I don't see any reason to, other than perhaps to add some sort of brand value to the overall "look", but as I've mentioned before, I don't ever recall hearing any negative comments about the Vikings' mismatched home/road set of the 90's.. or the Yankees/Cubs wearing pinstripes at home and solid-with-trim on the road, or the Tigers' mono-color chest logo at home with multi-color script on the road...

I see no issue with it, especially since there is some continuity with the gold-trim-surrounded-by-navy with all but the pinstripes (which kinda get the pass since pinstripes typically go sans-trim).. it's not unusual or unorthodox at all..

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I guess my response is that I don't find royal blue and athletic gold to be dated or stale. Not even in combination with the Brewers' wordmark. 

If anything the navy looks stale to me because it reminds me of 2000s-era design trends that everyone has seemingly moved on from. 

Fair enough, but I associate the navy trend more so with the current moment with the proliferation of solid color alternates around the league. Sure, navy began creeping in more during the 00s, but the fact that the last two World Series winners were donning navy indicates to me that is still very much alive in 2019/2020. Weren't the A's and Dodgers the only teams in the 2019 post-season that didn't have navy somewhere in their color schemes?

I suppose I'm also biased in the sense that I didn't find the royal blue/gold look especially strong even for the 80s. I wasn't fond of what the Mariners were wearing during the 80s, either.

I knew I wasn’t crazy. 
https://www.mlbshop.com/milwaukee-brewers/mens-milwaukee-brewers-new-era-navy-home-2020-authentic-collection-on-field-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-36888716+p-0374279989528+z-9-1549128138?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r1c1:po-4

vs

https://www.mlbshop.com/milwaukee-brewers/mens-milwaukee-brewers-new-era-navy-alternate-2-authentic-collection-on-field-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-14335483+p-6925966984380+z-9-4173110301?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r0c0:po-0

best to see from the same source. 

They really thinned out the outline/fattened up the M. The new BiG looks bad from a distance. 

What an unnecessary mess.  Can someone put these two side by side please. 

edit: I found a way to do it on my phone

spacer.png

The angle has to be 100% perfect to view the entire New BiG. What a downgrade. 

I like royal/yellow-gold, especially for the Brewers. But I'm also aware of navy's place within the club's history and its place within the city's baseball history. @Gothamite, correct me if I'm inaccurate, but didn't the AA Brewers almost always use navy? Also, the one team to win a World Series in Milwaukee? That's a navy team.

1957teamphoto2.jpg

I know this is the "why the Padres should wear navy" argument (albeit slightly modified), but the navy Padres weren't exactly as world-famous as the '53-'65 Braves.

23 minutes ago, MattMill said:

I knew I wasn’t crazy. 
https://www.mlbshop.com/milwaukee-brewers/mens-milwaukee-brewers-new-era-navy-home-2020-authentic-collection-on-field-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-36888716+p-0374279989528+z-9-1549128138?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r1c1:po-4

vs

https://www.mlbshop.com/milwaukee-brewers/mens-milwaukee-brewers-new-era-navy-alternate-2-authentic-collection-on-field-59fifty-fitted-hat/t-14335483+p-6925966984380+z-9-4173110301?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r0c0:po-0

They really thinned out the outline/fattened up the M. The new BiG looks bad from a distance. 

I don't know what's going on with the MLB store image, but it seems the players had both versions of the logo embroidery? Maybe it's just an illusion going on, I don't know.

EJwgA31WwAA-6KO?format=jpg&name=medium

EJwgA31XkAEzD7r?format=jpg&name=medium

bSLCtu2.png

31 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I like royal/yellow-gold, especially for the Brewers. But I'm also aware of navy's place within the club's history and its place within the city's baseball history. @Gothamite, correct me if I'm inaccurate, but didn't the AA Brewers almost always use navy? Also, the one team to win a World Series in Milwaukee? That's a navy team.

1957teamphoto2.jpg

I know this is the "why the Padres should wear navy" argument (albeit slightly modified), but the navy Padres weren't exactly as world-famous as the '53-'65 Braves.

This has been my argument for navy all along. Apart from 1970-1993, Milwaukee teams have worn navy going back to the 19th century.

Pair it with the yellow worn by those 1970-1993 teams and you've got a combo that can't be mistaken for any other team.

55 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't know why that is a hang up for people. The 1970s Vikings didn't match, and that was their best look, home and road, ever.

55 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Vikings

I think it's a fun quirk some teams can pull off, but it shouldn't be the standard. And it  works best with older teams where this stuff is held over from an older era. 

The Montreal Canadiens, as an example, have had mismatched home and road sweaters since the 1940s. They're hockey's Yankees though, and it works for them. 

When the Minnesota Wild do it in 2019? It seems slapdash. 

The Vikings are one of those older teams who could still justify it had they kept that set. The Brewers rolled this confused mess out in 2019. It doesn't work and it's not the same, contextually. 

2 hours ago, WavePunter said:

none of these jerseys will be worn together, so they don’t need to match..

Kr9JRQL.png

In all seriousness, while you do have a point, and that point technically isn’t wrong, it just looks better when there’s consistency between uniforms if they’re part of the same set. Right now, if you told me that all three jerseys (not including the pinstripes) were from different years, I’d believe it. The cream jerseys have different piping than the roads, and the roads have a different “Milwaukee” wordmark than the alternates, which have headspoon piping that isn’t on any other jersey. Now obviously there are exceptions to the “consistency rule” (New York Giants come to mind) but in general, there should be consistency between uniforms of the same set. 

And just for the record, I love the new unis, and I say that as someone who was against the BiG returning full time. But even though I like these, they’re not perfect and the inconsistencies are a big part of that

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't know why that is a hang up for people. The 1970s Vikings didn't match, and that was their best look, home and road, ever.

Basically every pinstripe team in baseball doesn't have uniform continuity and NOBODY says anything about them.

Its the Brewers, people will always find something to criticize with them.

EDIT:  Every team in baseball without any uniform continuity between the primary home and road:  Boston, both Chicago's, Colorado, Dodgers (sleeve piping), Minnesota, both New York's, Philly, Washington.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

22 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

Basically every pinstripe team in baseball doesn't have uniform continuity and NOBODY says anything about them.

Its the Brewers, people will always find something to criticize with them.

EDIT:  Every team in baseball without any uniform continuity between the primary home and road:  Boston, both Chicago's, Colorado, Dodgers (sleeve piping), Minnesota, both New York's, Philly, Washington.

I agree with your argument but I believe the pinstripes are not the main home uniform so it's just really weird both the home and road uniforms have piping on the sleeves but in totally different execution. I like the uniforms alot but that aspect definitely bugs me.

bSLCtu2.png

I really don’t mind the inconsistencies in this new set, be it the logos or the uniforms. It’s one of those situations (like the aforementioned 90’s Vikings) where each individual part of the set looks good on it’s own.

Sure, the logos don’t have a ton of cohesion, but if it was confirmed before this rebrand that not only would we be getting the Ball-in-Glove logo back full-time, but also the Barrel-Man, and the Wisconsin-M logo, I’m sure most of us here would have been ecstatic. Not only that, but I think they kept the wheat/barley as a part of the identity in a tasteful way. The logos don’t necessarily match each other, but they all look good on the uniforms they are assembled on. 

Similarly, I think each of the jerseys looks great on its own, save for the navy jersey, which I’m not big on. Sure, they could transfer the road piping onto the home cream, and they could drop the headspoon on the navy jersey (which would, admittedly, be a huge upgrade to me) to have better consistency across the sets, but I don’t think it’s something they absolutely need to do for these uniforms to look good. It’s still one of my favorite sets in the league now, after they were one of the most bland.

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I agree with your argument but I believe the pinstripes are not the main home uniform so it's just really weird both the home and road uniforms have piping on the sleeves but in totally different execution. I like the uniforms alot but that aspect definitely bugs me.

I personally think those two jerseys in particular actually each look better as designed than either would if adjusted to match the other.. and since no two uniforms will ever be seen together (theoretically), small differences don't do anything to diminish the brand or "look"..

two of the jerseys feature similar wordmarks in the same font, color scheme, and style, and have the same trim design in the same colors, just with slightly different execution, and a third jersey has the exact same wordmark as one of the two aforementioned jerseys, but swaps out the trim for team-colored pinstripes.. apart from the 4th jersey of the set (navy alt) veering a bit off-course, you really can't ask for a whole lot more cohesion in a set than that..

Edit: removing previous edit

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I personally think those two jerseys in particular actually each look better as designed than either would if adjusted to match the other.. and since no two uniforms will ever be seen together (theoretically), small differences don't do anything to diminish the brand or "look"..

two of the jerseys feature similar wordmarks in the same font, color scheme, and style, and have the same trim design in the same colors, just with slightly different execution, and a third jersey has the exact same wordmark as one of the two aforementioned jerseys, but swaps out the trim for team-colored pinstripes.. apart from the 4th jersey of the set (navy alt) veering a bit off-course, you really can't ask for a whole lot more cohesion in a set than that..

Edit: adding that upon further inspection, it seems that both the cream and navy are the alternates.. so, if that is indeed the case, the pinstripes are in fact the main home uniform.. which loosens some of those design restrictions since pinstripes typically don't have trim and as previously stated, alternates seem to get a bit more wiggle room regarding design..

Cream's home. Pinstripes alternate.

14 hours ago, MattMill said:

I knew I wasn’t crazy. 

vs

edit: I found a way to do it on my phone

spacer.png

That might not be the real cap, though - the real home cap has a gold New Era flag on the side. 

Not saying you're wrong, just yet this isn’t evidence. 

Honestly, I'm not sure the piping on the cream jerseys actually registers as "not matching" the rest of the uniform to the casual fan.  Or at least not to those who don't obsess over uniform design the way we do. 

Maybe I'm rationalizing it, but the lack of uniformity in the uniforms isn't even bothering me like it should. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see which of these looks catches on in the coming years.  And if cream catches on the way I think it will, that'll be another notch in the W column for this set.

The new glove looks pretty bad if that is indeed how it'll look.  The thin outlines and raised stitching really distract from everything that makes the BiG work. 

I think I've said that I really like this overhaul on the whole, but I agree completely about the mismatching piping. I think mismatching designs work fine when they are clearly intended to be different than each other (such as the NY Giants home vs. road set). But when they are too darn similar and yet are still different, that's when it's frustrating for me.

The home cream and road gray sleeve striping are way too similar to not just choose one and roll it out across the board. Not to mention that the cream's striping on the pants is thinner than the sleeve cuffs. They need to pick one, not both.

Side note, with everything else using a navy/yellow/navy stripe, I think it could have been cool to use the same stripe on the navy jersey. I know the end result would be the same (the navy is basically invisible) but I think that would be a cool treatment and then it would match exactly with the pants- similar to how the Florida Gators apply the same stripe to every color jersey and pants (before they butchered the orange jersey and pants). Right now they navy/yellow/navy stripe is kinda inferred to match everything else but yet it's different.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

Honestly, I'm not sure the piping on the cream jerseys actually registers as "not matching" the rest of the uniform to the casual fan.  Or at least not to those who don't obsess over uniform design the way we do. 

Maybe I'm rationalizing it, but the lack of uniformity in the uniforms isn't even bothering me like it should. If nothing else, it'll be interesting to see which of these looks catches on in the coming years.  And if cream catches on the way I think it will, that'll be another notch in the W column for this set.

The new glove looks pretty bad if that is indeed how it'll look.  The thin outlines and raised stitching really distract from everything that makes the BiG work. 

I dont get why people are just so obsessive about the inconsistencies...  The home, away, and away alt all use the same pattern, its just the home has thick piping (probably because it looks better on cream) and the alt's navy piping is invisible (think 2000-2019 Brewers navy jerseys).  It's still the same pattern, and the pinstripes are excluded because its meant to match the old pinstripe set perfectly, basically a fauxback.

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

I think I've said that I really like this overhaul on the whole, but I agree completely about the mismatching piping. I think mismatching designs work fine when they are clearly intended to be different than each other (such as the NY Giants home vs. road set). But when they are too darn similar and yet are still different, that's when it's frustrating for me.

The home cream and road gray sleeve striping are way too similar to not just choose one and roll it out across the board. Not to mention that the cream's striping on the pants is thinner than the sleeve cuffs. They need to pick one, not both.

Side note, with everything else using a navy/yellow/navy stripe, I think it could have been cool to use the same stripe on the navy jersey. I know the end result would be the same (the navy is basically invisible) but I think that would be a cool treatment and then it would match exactly with the pants- similar to how the Florida Gators apply the same stripe to every color jersey and pants (before they butchered the orange jersey and pants). Right now they navy/yellow/navy stripe is kinda inferred to match everything else but yet it's different.

spacer.png

Thats exactly what they did, except they didnt ACTUALLY put the navy piping in because it wouldve been invisible and pointless.  Its the exact same thing they did on the previous set.

Is it possible everyone is just so critical on not being 100% consistent because the previous set was a direct copy of each uniform, just with different colors?  Actually, aside from the alternate jersey from 97-99, the past TWO sets were all the same jersey design with just a different base color for each version.

592634da4cadb_sportsteamssig.png.c86c5b40ec930f46f206deec327ba08b.png

9 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

I dont get why people are just so obsessive about the inconsistencies... 

Are you sure you’re in the right place? 😛 

the home has thick piping (probably because it looks better on cream)

If that was at all the case, they’d use thick piping on the pants.   But they didn’t - they used the thin piping, which means the home uniform doesn’t even match the home uniform. 

spacer.png

So close to a good uniform, maybe even a great uniform.  But wrong on so many little details that add up to spoil that.

It reminds me of the 25th Anniversary set, which they quietly fixed a couple years later with a series of small upgrades that completely saved and elevated the uniform.  Hopefully they do the same this time. 

Archived