daveindc

Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s not actually true - the old Brewers wore royal blue from the late 1930s through the late 40s.  Including their best period, when they won the American Association pennant three times in a row, 1943-45.  Just sayin’. 😛 

They also wore both burgundy and black & gold (though not all at once) in the 1900s, but that’s probably not worth referencing in today’s uniforms. 😁   

Interesting, I don't recall reading anything about that on your blog. 😁

Still, I think it's safe to say the AA Brewers are more associated with navy. If for no other reason that the Milwaukee Braves hats started with them.

Either way, navy looks better with cream than royal. That alone is reason for me wanting the Brewers in navy.

22 hours ago, NicDB said:

Interesting, I don't recall reading anything about that on your blog. 😁

http://www.borchertfield.com/2013/02/such-respect-for-bright-colors-1904-and.html

😛 

From the Milwaukee Journal, February 16, 1905:

The matter of uniforms is another of the hundreds of details of running a ball team which has been decided on, and in the matter of dress this year the Brewers promise to be just as many as any of the teams in the association. Their at-home uniforms, of course, will be white, the same as usual, with black trimmings and caps. When it comes to their traveling suits, there is to be a change. The black and yellow combination which has afforded opportunity to the fans of the home cities to make all sorts of comment, will be displaced by a neat Oxford grey, with maroon trimmings and cap. The Oxford grey was agreeable to both (team owner Charles) Havenor and Cantillon, but when it came to the trimmings there was a hitch. Dago Joe, as he is sometimes called by those who know him pretty well around the log cabin in Chicago, held that owing to the remarks made by some of his fellow countrymen in regards to the "yellow" of last season, they thought it was time that Cantillon was declaring himself, and so for a long time Joe argued that green was the proper color for the trimmings, and it was not until the census of the Milwaukee population had been shown him was he convinced that the green trimmings were not the proper thing for a Milwaukee team. It was a hard blow, but at last Joe consented, and so the Brewers' traveling uniform will be Oxford grey with maroon trimmings.

I love how they don’t feel green is “proper” for a Milwaukee baseball team.  😁

Here’s a photo of Brews manager “Pongo Joe” Cantillon proudly sporting that black-with-gold number:

1904_Cantillon_RoadUniform.jpg

Either way, navy looks better with cream than royal. That alone is reason for me wanting the Brewers in navy.

Far be it for me to argue with another man’s aesthetic preferences.  I thought the Brewers’ original cream flannels looked just fine with royal blue. The athletic gold itself is the color that concerns me, but we’ll see how it looks on the diamond. 

Black and gold, eh?  Makes me wish there were more pictures of the UWM baseball team in the germanics.

I'm not anti-royal by any means, but I wasn't aware of the Brewers ever wearing cream before now.  Would this be the flannel you're referring to?
spacer.png

Yes, the original flannels (1970 and 1971) were a cream-colored flannel.  And the one you pictured is my favorite Brewers uniform ever. 

spacer.png

Hey, remember what we said about them adjusting the kerning so the wordmarks weren’t off-center on the jersey?  Totally false, according to the “authentics” currently on sale at Miller Park. 

That’s... embarrassing. 

Seems that problem could be solved simply by loosening up the kerning. At least we're not talking about that ugly yellow blob on the old road alts.

Yeah, the kerning seems off a bit but overall I think it's fine and will probably be tweaked within a year or two.

It looks like Bernie's fake alternate seems to correct the problem though.

EKZZjMXWsAEUCNP?format=jpg&name=large

The block BREWERS looks pretty good on the alt. Granted, it's not hard to beat this.

spacer.png

I'm really trying to like this script. But I just don't think it works. It's like the designer wanted to acknowledge the Milwaukee script from the 80s while tying it in to the block font and this was the least bad of all the attempts.

If this was smoothed out a bit, it could resemble a neon sign and still be on brand. 

Beautiful new set for the Brewers and the only thing I would change is replace wheatball with barrel man full time.

2 of the worst uniform sets in the majors got major upgrades.

21 hours ago, NicDB said:

The block BREWERS looks pretty good on the alt. Granted, it's not hard to beat this.

spacer.png

I'm really trying to like this script. But I just don't think it works. It's like the designer wanted to acknowledge the Milwaukee script from the 80s while tying it in to the block font and this was the least bad of all the attempts.

If this was smoothed out a bit, it could resemble a neon sign and still be on brand. 

I agree completely.  I so desperately want to like this one, but it’s the worst of the lot.  I like the piping, but that script is just awful.  Any flow of the script is killed off by the goofy blockhead letters. 

So close, but so damn far.  

48 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I agree completely.  I so desperately want to like this one, but it’s the worst of the lot.  I like the piping, but that script is just awful.  Any flow of the script is killed off by the goofy blockhead letters. 

So close, but so damn far.  

I disagree, I quite like the script, and while I want to agree with you on It being the worst jersey of the bunch, I have to disagree and say the pinstripes is the worst solely because it’s pointless. The cream jersey is so much better and makes the pinstripes jersey worse in comparison. Even though it might be the better looking jersey (over the navy jersey) so I’d remove it.

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I disagree, I quite like the script, and while I want to agree with you on It being the worst jersey of the bunch, I have to disagree and say the pinstripes is the worst solely because it’s pointless. The cream jersey is so much better and makes the pinstripes jersey worse in comparison. Even though it might be the better looking jersey (over the navy jersey) so I’d remove it.

yet at the same time, the pinstripe is actually the least pointless out of any of the 4.  I personally like the home cream the best, but the pinstripe is FAR from pointless.

37 minutes ago, itsmb8 said:

yet at the same time, the pinstripe is actually the least pointless out of any of the 4.  I personally like the home cream the best, but the pinstripe is FAR from pointless.

Why wouldn’t it be? Why have two white jerseys when one is much superior.

I personally feel like the Brewers will just make the pinstripes the regular home uniform in 2021 because the cream uniform seems like a 50th Anniversary thing, after all it's very much based on the first real Brewers uniform ever.

2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

I agree, the cream is the nicest in the set and I'd have been more than okay without the pinstripes.  But the Brewers identity was such a mess for so long that I don't blame them for trying both and seeing what emerges as the favorite among the players and the fan community.

11 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

I personally feel like the Brewers will just make the pinstripes the regular home uniform in 2021 because the cream uniform seems like a 50th Anniversary thing, after all it's very much based on the first real Brewers uniform ever.

Not quite.  After the Pilots hand-me-downs, they wore the version that Gorman Thomas is wearing in the image a few posts above this one.  A couple years later, they wore the pullover version that coincided with Hank Aaron's return to Brew City.  That's the one the current creams are based on.

Indeed - the cream jersey is a reference to the third Brewers uniform ever.  

Fifth, if you count the two unproduced prototypes. 😁

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Indeed - the cream jersey is a reference to the third Brewers uniform ever.  

Fifth, if you count the two unproduced prototypes. 😁

Is the prototype count still at three?

spacer.png

I’m not sure about that third one, to be honest. I haven’t seen any documentation on it, and it could have been altered after-the-fact or for a potential minor league team.  Too many variables for my comfort. 

Twitter thread on why the new BiG logo is a BIG downgrade