Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

Part of me wishes this back fires because they never should’ve left their current set be completely dismantled. While not perfect, what they’ve got going now is easily the best they’ve ever had and it’s going to be disappointing to see it be replaced by this mess. Hopefully the padres don’t fumble it as bad as Milwaukee is

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Part of me wishes this back fires because they never should’ve left their current set be completely dismantled. While not perfect, what they’ve got going now is easily the best they’ve ever had and it’s going to be disappointing to see it be replaced by this mess. Hopefully the padres don’t fumble it as bad as Milwaukee is

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

Did they even say that they were going to keep the throwbacks around? If I'm a team putting out a new uniform set, why would I want to immediately dilute my new brand by putting out throwbacks?

The throwbacks are far too popular not to keep around. 

The only way those are gone is if the primary set is somehow so close to the throwbacks as to make them redundant.  But that would mean no navy, which seems extremely unlikely.

If there are parts of the new identity that hearken back to the original BiG days, I can see them taking 2020 as a year to stick with three jerseys home/road/alt to let the ID settle, and then roll out with throwbacks in a year or so.

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I understand what forum this is and whatnot but I find it kinda hilarious how everyone wanted the logo back and we're gonna get it but now we gotta to hate it. I'm just happy it's back period. This could have been much worse.

Someone brought up Toronto, who also did not make a carbon copy of their popular look.  And you may recall that everyone on this board (me included) swooned over that one...heck, we still are swooning.  Why?  Because it's actually a pretty great update of the original look. It would have been a tremendous update in the 1990s (skipping the Clemons era and the Black Jays).

This Brewers logo, on the other hand, looks like a "change for the sake of change" downgrade.  The shape of the "M" looks like it should have been a precursor to the original; a first draft...it's just inferior.  The Blue Jays nailed it.  The Brewers...they didn't quite pull a "sure we'll go back to Blue" Sabres Buffaslug, but they didn't quite let us enjoy it as much as we should.  I am very aware that I have said nothing quantifiable...it's not wrong to think the Brewers nailed it and the Blue Jays messed it up. But most of us seem to feel the other way.

And I'm just talking about the logo's shape.  I think a lot of us are disappointed about the drab colors.  But I don't think we're surprised.  My observation at Miller Park and in Wisconsin is that people love the BiG but don't really care which color scheme is used.  Two vivid colors?  That's not coming back any time soon.  But given the love for the old logo, I really thought it would come back intact.  And I feel a little bit cheated.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Looking back, the Blue Jays had a number of change-for-the-sake-of-change tweaks that left them worse off (the shift to navy blue, the superfluous outlines on the road script, not inlining "Toronto" on the primary but inlining "Blue Jays"), but it was still such an improvement over the fiddled-with Grey Jays that we didn't dwell on them all that much.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yikes, the new Brewers look seems like it's going to be even worse than I thought it would be when they first indicated that the Ball in Glove was coming back.

It's bad enough that they're passing up way more interesting and thematically appropriate identities (such as the Beer Barrel Man) for this generic create-a-team logo, but the fact that they can't even pander to their fans' nostalgia correctly is the icing on the cake.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I hate the BiG as a concept.  The current look (minus the name and number fonts) and even the 90s Germanic look were both superior in that both actually did something with the name "Brewers" and couldn't also be used by the Montgomery Biscuits or the Montreal Bagels.

That said, consider me in the minority in that they actually cleaned up the things that irked me about the original. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

And I feel a little bit cheated.

This is the sense I get from a lot of my Milwaukee friends.  This should be a triumphant moment for the fans, a return to the fan-favorite logo (and although it's not my own personal favorite Brewers logos, I don't kid myself that it's the clear favorite of the fanbase as a whole).

Instead of that triumphant moment, we get... this.  Extremely underwhelming, which is itself extremely frustrating.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:09 PM, NicDB said:

That's a political relic from when Miller Park was first built. It was to pacify the anti-Milwaukee suburbanites who complained about having to pay for the stadium.

Got any citation on that? Other than speculation from NOT anti-Milwaukee suburbanites?

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Someone brought up Toronto, who also did not make a carbon copy of their popular look.  And you may recall that everyone on this board (me included) swooned over that one...heck, we still are swooning.  Why?  Because it's actually a pretty great update of the original look. It would have been a tremendous update in the 1990s (skipping the Clemons era and the Black Jays).

This Brewers logo, on the other hand, looks like a "change for the sake of change" downgrade.  The shape of the "M" looks like it should have been a precursor to the original; a first draft...it's just inferior.  The Blue Jays nailed it.  The Brewers...they didn't quite pull a "sure we'll go back to Blue" Sabres Buffaslug, but they didn't quite let us enjoy it as much as we should.  I am very aware that I have said nothing quantifiable...it's not wrong to think the Brewers nailed it and the Blue Jays messed it up. But most of us seem to feel the other way.

And I'm just talking about the logo's shape.  I think a lot of us are disappointed about the drab colors.  But I don't think we're surprised.  My observation at Miller Park and in Wisconsin is that people love the BiG but don't really care which color scheme is used.  Two vivid colors?  That's not coming back any time soon.  But given the love for the old logo, I really thought it would come back intact.  And I feel a little bit cheated.

Point well taken on the Jays. However, the artist behind the original Jays logo appreciated the new rendition but did not like the fact that outline of the ball no longer doubles as the stem of the maple leaf. I agree with him and it illustrates the fact that the original designs often have particular reasons for being exactly as they were.

2 hours ago, LMU said:

I hate the BiG as a concept.  The current look (minus the name and number fonts) and even the 90s Germanic look were both superior in that both actually did something with the name "Brewers" and couldn't also be used by the Montgomery Biscuits or the Montreal Bagels.

That said, consider me in the minority in that they actually cleaned up the things that irked me about the original. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I a vacuum, this is easily my favorite look the Brewers have ever had...after they ditched the Motre Bame logo.

But I acknowledge 1) given the history, it is the least "Brewers" look their is, 2) it was from an undistinguished time on the field, and 3) The fanbase never embraced it (or at least have no nostalgic feelings for it).

And I generally agree that the BiG, while clever, lacks modern/timeless major league appeal.  It's very much a product of when it was designed.  That said, given the reality that they're either sticking with their soul-less/stale look or throwing back, I think they're doing the lesser of two evils.  But if they're going to do that, at least get it right...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 minutes ago, BigRed618 said:

Made a quick mock-up of the new BiG

spacer.png

Not bad. I think the ball needs to be completely centered, and the b-m connecting piece a tad thicker, and we have a 99% perfect mockup. 

the pinky finger right edge may also be a tad smoother. But we’ll have to see some better shots. Everything else matches up well. 

with that said, they ruined the BiG for me. 

I’ve never really been on board the “Bring back the Ball-in-Glove” train, not that it’s a bad logo, but I feel like there’s something better/more “brewer” they could do. That said, if they’re going to bring the BiG back, the leak looks pretty good IMO. I really like the way the M and B connect and the filling in white/blue/transparent space with gold is a solid move IMO. I could go either way on the stitches on the ball, but neither look bad. 

I don’t mean to sound like an a$$ when I say this, but anyone complaining about the tweaks seems to just be looking for something to complain about. Most people wanted the BiG back and it’s back. There were a couple EXTREMELY minor changes that are barely even noticeable. I know this site is built around discussing the small details in logos, but with something like this it really looks like people are trying to find something to complain about. A small blue sliver connecting the M and B doesn’t ruin the entire rebrand 

I just have this feeling that most Brewers fans are going to try to clamor over the current hybrid alt and accompanying hat over getting new gear with the Botch in Glove.  Definite downgrade if the leak is legit.  Has there been any other confirmation of this being legit other than the Topps Opening Day card?

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

6 hours ago, jn8 said:

I’ve never really been on board the “Bring back the Ball-in-Glove” train, not that it’s a bad logo, but I feel like there’s something better/more “brewer” they could do. That said, if they’re going to bring the BiG back, the leak looks pretty good IMO. I really like the way the M and B connect and the filling in white/blue/transparent space with gold is a solid move IMO. I could go either way on the stitches on the ball, but neither look bad. 

I don’t mean to sound like an a$$ when I say this, but anyone complaining about the tweaks seems to just be looking for something to complain about. Most people wanted the BiG back and it’s back. There were a couple EXTREMELY minor changes that are barely even noticeable. I know this site is built around discussing the small details in logos, but with something like this it really looks like people are trying to find something to complain about. A small blue sliver connecting the M and B doesn’t ruin the entire rebrand 

This.

bYhYmxh.png

Since things like this are cyclic, 10 years from now there will be users on this board, or wherever discussions of this nature take place, clamoring for the M and wheat look again because it corresponds with the longest period of sustained success in team history. 

Archived