USA - ARGENTINA

ROCHitman

Embarrassing the US has lost more games in this olympics than in olympic history coming into these games. I am ashamed as an American. Hopefully our hockey team will make up for it in the world cup.

Ashamed, no. It really is just a game. Regardless of who is on the team, or who turned it down, this is still a group of professionals. I would venture to guess that every player on every team is a paid professional somewhere in the world. Also, the american team has been together for 30 days. The Lithuanian team, for example, has been together for years. This has been more of all-star team versuses what amounts to club teams that play together regularly.

Popovich said it best after the game, "We need to stop playing the blame game, and start giving these other countries some credit." I agree, it may be an american game, but the rest of the world plays it now. Just like hockey is a canadian game, yet this past season 7 of the top 10 scorers were european. Is canada ashamed, I doubt it.

Thre is nothing here to be 'ashamed' about. Disappointed yes, ashamed no.

The gold medal in basketball is not a birth right, it is won. If your pride in being an american can be so easily shaken by a tournament played every four years, you should re-evaluate what it really means to be a proud american.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Here's the pertinent question -

Will these guys show up to play for Bronze or have they packed it in?

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

the nba was the downfall of this team in a couple of ways:

1) NBA officiating favors players who are stars (a la - calling travels on drives) - everybody on the us but that stiff odom - while in the international play its an even seed

2) NBA teams play around their best players - again, most of the guys - while the INTL play is a team play.

otehr ways:

3) michael redd was denied making the team for LAMAR ODOM. redd is a way better three-ball shooter than anyone on that team

4) LAMAR ODOM

5) brown wasnt exactly great with the playing time decisions - i like him, but i can still tell you that he did not coach well

6) brown also doesnt believe in the 3-ball, so he chooses to ignore it. and alas - teams shoot the living daylights outta Team USA.

USA Basketball needs to change the way it's going to do this in the future. Pepe Sanchez - who played all but 5 minutes in his NBA career - is the starting PG for argentina.

Here's the pertinent question -

Will these guys show up to play for Bronze or have they packed it in?

I would have to say, after seeing the LeBron James interview, if the starters feel like him NO.

They play Lithuania, who is a solid team. They lost to Lithuania the other day, and I'm sure they really want a medal. My money would be on Lithuania, if I were a betting man.

But you never know, they could all come out and play like Marbury the other night and bow them out of the water, let's hope for that.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

It's absolute crap -- first off, in the Paul Hamm situation, you are only allowed 3 "holds" on the even bars. The korean guy used 4 holds. That is a required 2/10 deduction. Had that been counted, it wouldn't be a matter of whether or not he got gold, he wouldn't have even won the Bronze.

Second -- The officiating has been awful against the United States this whole tournament. Against Spain, the fouls were 15-4 at half time and 6 US players had 2 fouls. Lebron James' dunk in the first half where he got called for traveling, what a crap call that was. He only took one step and went up after he got the ball. This was before Argentina started their first little run.

Second off, Stephon Marbury gets flipped and no call -- what is THAT?! Yet Ginobli gets hit 3 seconds after he shoots the ball and gets a free throw? Yeah, being knocked to the floor really affected that considering he had enough time to land and then watch the ball for a second and THEN get knocked over.

Oh well, good -- the Americans lost. Or I should say, good, Larry Brown lost. I've lost all respect for this coach after these olympics. He had ZERO control over this team with the exception of Carmelo Anthony and that's because he never let 'Melo touch the floor. If he would maybe, just maybe, tell Lamar Odom to stop throwing up shots that he can't make, maybe they would've won this game. Odom does NOT have that or ability. What's he doing starting over 'Melo anyway?

They were playing real basketball as you put it, they played like they wanted to win, but the better team won. Mochba was correct in a previous thread, the rest of the world is catching up, they still have a long ways to go, but their best of comparable to your best. You have to face the fact that the rest of the world can hang touch with the US and just accept it. If you were any kind of a basketball fan, you would be happy that basketball is finally competitive on an international stage.

That's a joke. The rest of the world is nowhere NEAR the United States. The rest of the world plays zone defenses, something that NBA players rarely seen. Why adjust their game for a tournament that occurs every 4 years.

Now -- let's imagine a starting roster that looks like this...

PG -- Stephon Marbury or maybe Jason Kidd

SG -- Kobe Bryant or Tracy McGrady

SF -- Tracy McGrady or Kevin Garnett

PF -- Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett

C -- Shaquille O'Neal

Off the bench you basically have this years olympic team, not including those who are alreayd in my pretend starting line up.

do you honestly still think any nation could possibly compete with that team? The world is not catching up. You're talking about teams that have been together for years against a team that has played together for a few months at best.

You have the Worlds BEST playing up against, in some cases, players who aren't even NBA All-Stars.

If they are nowhere near the calibre of play of the USA players, than the gold medal should already be wrapped up and in the hands of the American players. However, since this is not the case obviously something is awry in your statement. Another point I would like to make... read my bloody post before you freak out! I said and I quote "the rest of the world is catching up, they still have a long ways to go." For starters, you were not sending over sub-par players, many of the younger players are considered the future of the NBA and have shown during the regular season that they belong in the NBA. Seondly, Allen Iverson has been considered one of the best players in the game today, perhaps he was injured, perhaps not, regardless he is still a damn good player. Tim Duncan is a dominant player and is a six time all-star player. Wait a second why am I sticking up for your players?

In regards to your fantasy roster, you started off by arguing that the rest of the world plays a zone defense and that the NBA are basically at a disadvantage because they do not get to see it. Well boo hoo, by that argument, then even your fantasy roster would have difficulty. You think those players are going to magically be able to play their best ball against an unknown system? Of course not.

Just admit it dude, international ball has improved drastically.

These guys didn' want to play like a team they wnet out there and give a minimum effort each game.

They wont even try tommorow I see a 20 point loss.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

These guys didn' want to play like a team they wnet out there and give a minimum effort each game.

They wont even try tommorow I see a 20 point loss.

What, just because they are not winning, you assume they are not trying. How can you be so sure they are not trying?? I will give you the first game, their is no way they went into that game prepared, but I think since then they have shown more of a desire to win.

I think I speak for everyone in the US when I say:

USA Basketball sucks.

What? Why, because you are not winning gold? I do not understand the attitude held by so many on this board. America is still home to the best basketball players in the world. Are there are problems with the attitude of some players when it comes to international competitions like this, of course, but the talent pool is still the richest in the world. It happens in every sport that one country dominates in, the rest of the world will eventually start catching up as it's popularity grows around the world. It happened here with hockey and is just something you have to deal with. Whatever position they end up with, whether it be 3rd or 4th is not the end of the world and is surely no reason to make such a ridiculous assertion.

USA Basketball sucks.

Does Canada even have a national team? :flagcanada: (sarcastic!)

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

If they are nowhere near the calibre of play of the USA players, than the gold medal should already be wrapped up and in the hands of the American players. However, since this is not the case obviously something is awry in your statement. Another point I would like to make... read my bloody post before you freak out! I said and I quote "the rest of the world is catching up, they still have a long ways to go." For starters, you were not sending over sub-par players, many of the younger players are considered the future of the NBA and have shown during the regular season that they belong in the NBA. Seondly, Allen Iverson has been considered one of the best players in the game today, perhaps he was injured, perhaps not, regardless he is still a damn good player. Tim Duncan is a dominant player and is a six time all-star player. Wait a second why am I sticking up for your players?

In regards to your fantasy roster, you started off by arguing that the rest of the world plays a zone defense and that the NBA are basically at a disadvantage because they do not get to see it. Well boo hoo, by that argument, then even your fantasy roster would have difficulty. You think those players are going to magically be able to play their best ball against an unknown system? Of course not.

Just admit it dude, international ball has improved drastically.

Wow -- you're missing the fact that I said the players they sent were the reason they didn't win, that's why they don't have the gold. Nothing is awry in my argument.

Ask yourself what made Allen Iverson one of the premiere players in the game? If you say it's his ability to shoot, you have mental issues. Iversons game is to get to the hoop. Well -- so is just about EVERYBODY elses on that USA team. That team was built on speed, not on shooting ability and when you have a team that is built on the ability to get to the hoop, guess what -- it's difficult to do against a zone defense, which these athletes don't normally face. On the subject of a zone, it is VERY difficult for a player like Tim Duncan to play his game against the collapsable zone. Hell, it's tough for any US big man to do their thing against a collapsable zone because it's not legal in the NBA.

And on what grounds can you actually say the starting roster i presented would be unsuccessful? I'll even give you the reasons why it would work.

Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant can shoot, and they can get to the hoop. You need to be able to shoot to not only beat the zone with the outside game, but to break down the zone by getting to the hoop. Iverson can't shoot, Lebron struggles shooting, Marion can't shoot, Odom can't shoot, Dwayne Wade can't shoot -- ALL those guys specialize at getting to the hoop.

There's not a single man in the world that can keep Shaq from backing down to the hoop. Shaq's ability to score down low opens up the inside-outside game -- which will either get the team open shots from outside, or easy baskets down low.

Jason Kidd has the best eyes in the game, 'nuff said.

If you have a player like Kevin Garnett, he opens up the zone because he can hit the long range shots as well as tear you apart down low.

There's no way any foreign team can even compete with a team like that. If the US sent their best, like the world sends there, it wouldn't even be close again.

IUe6Hvh.png

That team was built on speed,

No the team was built on marijuana :D and the track team is built on THG...... *runs*

I think the US didn't have time to work as a team and develop strategies, and of course they did not send their best players like the rest of the teams. It was sure smart to have Allen Iverson and Larry Brown together, huh? Other than Kobe, I saw no legitamite reason why some players decided to skip the olympics.

I saw, I came, I left.

USA Basketball sucks.

What? Why, because you are not winning gold? I do not understand the attitude held by so many on this board. America is still home to the best basketball players in the world. Are there are problems with the attitude of some players when it comes to international competitions like this, of course, but the talent pool is still the richest in the world. It happens in every sport that one country dominates in, the rest of the world will eventually start catching up as it's popularity grows around the world. It happened here with hockey and is just something you have to deal with. Whatever position they end up with, whether it be 3rd or 4th is not the end of the world and is surely no reason to make such a ridiculous assertion.

I'm ignoring that rant. I mean, the team named: "USA Basketball" or if you like, the Olympic Basketball team for Athens 2004 based in the United States of America..sucks.

Whoever picked them, really fluffed up. Some of the players may be good, but few play as a team.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

again this shows that the nba is a crap product. Also, how many championships do everyone have? i am willing to bet that duncan himself has more championships than everyone on that team combined. The fact of the matter is this, the selection commitee put the team together to market the team instead of a team that wanted to play. most of the players don't belong on the lakers nevermind team usa.

this goes back to my point i have argued forever now, you can have all damn expensive talent of power you want but if you don't have the heart or desire, then you are not going to beat a team with no talent and alot of heart and desire. Thats what happened here.

also to some extent, the talent in the nba is overrated. When team usa was sporting Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Charles barkley, the world couldn't touch us. GUys that are legends, guys that won championships. the only guy thats worthy of selection was tim duncan. maybe iverson but im not familiar with him.

does this make me be ashamed to be an american? no it doesn't in fact George Bush's limp wristed approach to warfare makes me more ashamed than this. This is just 19th century sport played by grown men marketed to small kids, watched by grown men. so theres no shame.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

Ya know, Uncle Wiggly, you're wrong, just quit while you're ahead. America is perfect and faultless. Only a vast international conspiracy and/or a mistake by suits at home could have caused this loss, and you and I both know it! :P

Everyone has to admit, Iverson was a bad choice.

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

again this shows that the nba is a crap product. Also, how many championships do everyone have? i am willing to bet that duncan himself has more championships than everyone on that team combined. The fact of the matter is this, the selection commitee put the team together to market the team instead of a team that wanted to play. most of the players don't belong on the lakers nevermind team usa.

this goes back to my point i have argued forever now, you can have all damn expensive talent of power you want but if you don't have the heart or desire, then you are not going to beat a team with no talent and alot of heart and desire. Thats what happened here.

also to some extent, the talent in the nba is overrated. When team usa was sporting Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Charles barkley, the world couldn't touch us. GUys that are legends, guys that won championships. the only guy thats worthy of selection was tim duncan. maybe iverson but im not familiar with him.

does this make me be ashamed to be an american? no it doesn't in fact George Bush's limp wristed approach to warfare makes me more ashamed than this. This is just 19th century sport played by grown men marketed to small kids, watched by grown men. so theres no shame.

US Basketball is overrated? That's the stupidest comment I've read in this entire basketball. You can't compare this team to the older Dream Teams -- the older Dream Teams weren't sending rookies over there, Okafor, Anthony, James, and Dwayne Wade are FAR younger than anybody on the old dream teams. The older Dream Teams were sending the worlds best. If the United States had sent Shaq, Kobe, McGrady, Garnett and some of the other best American players in the league -- we would be talking about how dominant the USA Mens team was in Athens.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived