Maroon&Gold

NCAA Votes To Allow College Athletes To Profit From Name, Image And Likeness

Posted (edited)

The legislation in question, if passed, would not take effect until 2023. 

In May, SI's legal writer, Michael McCann talked about the "Fair Pay to Play Act".

It really is the other way around, the California bill strongarming the NCAA to allow the student-athletes to profit from their likeness and for the just announced NCAA working group to act before the bill would become law.

Edited by dfwabel
Grammar

Posted (edited)

I'm looking forward to the brouhaha that'll result from this. Both sides seem more obsessed with minute bull :censored: while ignoring the massive systemic issues of their domains. They're also both ran by out-of-touch ineffectual bureaucrats who seem more obsessed setting trends or sending a message than anything that would change how things are done. This oughta be good.

Edited by Red Comet

Anything that hurts college athletics is a good thing in my book.  The entire industry should be banned.

Just like everyone who says the federal government should “pull federal funding” to California (😂) for various reasons, I say screw it. Go ahead and do that. California could rather easily set something up (such as state wide leagues) on their own to remain sustainable and profitable. Let the rest of the country swing with their dicks out in the open breeze and learn just how dependable really they are on this state. That’ll be so much fun to watch once they realize just how monumentally :censored:ed they are. 

Its amazing that the people who gripe about how much sway this state has seem to understand so little about why it has so much influence. 

As a fellow Californian, I say the NCAA should go kick rocks.

I remember when they tried to pull a stunt with NJ, not allowing championship events in the state because we were considering allowing sports betting. It lasted a year.

Go California, bring the NCAA to its knees.

Posted (edited)

So we are all rooting for this bill to pass to give NCAA a middle finger?

Edited by TrueYankee26
Spellcheck

5 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

So we are all rotting for this bill to pass to give NCAA a middle finger?

Yes we are. At least I am.

8 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

So we are all rotting for this bill to pass to give NCAA a middle finger?

The NCAA has been an entirely self-serving organization since the day it was founded.

They couldn’t drop the hammer on a football program that employed AND covered for a pedophile. Wouldn’t do anything against Michigan State for employing Larry Nassar. But paying college athletes seems to be the one bridge no school should dare cross in their eyes.

At this point, I would be perfectly fine the with the NCAA closing shop tomorrow. The more the NCAA comes out against something, the more I’m for it.

On 6/24/2019 at 1:55 PM, Gothamite said:

Anything that hurts college athletics is a good thing in my book.  The entire industry should be banned.

Is... Is pro-rel the answer to this? Like, should we let the people that put money towards this stuff instead put money towards a real professional team to the point that we have a hundred potential top flight teams? Were the pro-rel for USA soccer dorks right all along? Do I need to reconsider everything I ever thought? Will I be forgiven for the sins of my collegiate sports fan life? I'm gonna take a walk.

56 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Is... Is pro-rel the answer to this? Like, should we let the people that put money towards this stuff instead put money towards a real professional team to the point that we have a hundred potential top flight teams? Were the pro-rel for USA soccer dorks right all along? Do I need to reconsider everything I ever thought? Will I be forgiven for the sins of my collegiate sports fan life? I'm gonna take a walk.

Honestly? With all the teams and levels college sports has, this is actually a good idea. At least it would be until the boosters throw a tantrum over it.

On 6/24/2019 at 12:48 PM, goalieboy82 said:

at this point, would love to see it pass to see what happens.   

If passed what will happen is another state legislature will have a legislator craft a similar bill to fir their state.  And then another, and another forcing the NCAA to act quicker with an immediate adjustment to their working group's expected August report followed by October findings.

At the federal level, Rep. Mark Walker (R-NC) already has introduced a bill which would also allow student-athletes to profit from NLI (Name, Likeness, and Image).

U.S. Representative Mark Walker (R-N.C.) today introduced the Student-Athlete Equity Act, bi-partisan legislation that would amend the definition of a qualified amateur sports organization in the tax code to remove the restriction on student-athletes using or being compensated for use of their name, image and likeness – forcing the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to change it's current model. The lead cosponsor of the bill is U.S. Representative Cedric Richmond (D-La.).

"Signing an athletic scholarship with a school should not be a moratorium on your rights to your name, image, and self-worth," Walker said. "It’s time to bring equity to student-athletes and fix the injustices that exist in the current NCAA model. After nearly two years of discussions with players and leaders, we are introducing legislation that won’t cost the NCAA or our schools a single dollar, while empowering college athletes with the same opportunities that every American should have in a free-market."

“The Student-Athlete Equity Act is a clear cut first step at leveling the playing field for collegiate athletes whose labor generates significant revenue for the colleges and universities they serve and have done so for years,” said Rep. Richmond. “Student-athletes deserve the right to protect their name, image, and likeness that amateur sports organizations, such as the NCAA, currently restrict. These athletes generate enough revenue to pay for state-of-the-art athletic facilities, massive coaching salaries, and even contribute to the endowment at their respective colleges and universities. As young men and women who stimulate the economics of the NCAA, they should also be able to secure their own economic well-being. I am proud to cosponsor this legislation and look forward to continuing the conversation on advancing the educational and financial equity of all student-athletes.”

Personally, I draw the line of paying college players right before the school starts writing them checks. The school already gives them a scholarship that pays for tuition, books, dorms, meal plans, etc. that a regular guy like me is going thousands of $$ in debt for. The school gives them plenty already. But if a company calls up a star player and asks them to shoot a commercial for them? Cut them a check. Players want to sell game-worn equipment? Go for it. The players own their own name, not the school, they should be able to do what they want with it. Just as long as we never get to the point of the schools paying the players on top of already giving them a scholarship.

2 hours ago, jn8 said:

Personally, I draw the line of paying college players right before the school starts writing them checks. The school already gives them a scholarship that pays for tuition, books, dorms, meal plans, etc. that a regular guy like me is going thousands of $$ in debt for. The school gives them plenty already. But if a company calls up a star player and asks them to shoot a commercial for them? Cut them a check. Players want to sell game-worn equipment? Go for it. The players own their own name, not the school, they should be able to do what they want with it. Just as long as we never get to the point of the schools paying the players on top of already giving them a scholarship.

Generally, the game worn uniforms and equipment is not theirs to own, but some items are.  That's why there is a lucrative black market for special edition J's made for UNC, Oregon, and Michigan.

4 hours ago, jn8 said:

If the players generate more revenue than the scholarships are worth, then they deserve a cut of it.  Without star players, coaches don't make millions, ADs don't make whatever they make, schools don't reap millions from network deals, etc.  

You said it yourself - you're a "regular guy".  You don't contribute as much to your school's revenue as Tua T...something does for Alabama's. I don't know the right way to compensate them - letting them be in commercials and get paid for autographs is the bare minimum that should be allowed - but at big-time schools, they're worth far more than the scholarship, and if the school is cashing checks for letting a network broadcast the players on TV, then they absolutely deserve a cut of it... a big cut.  NCAA football, at least at the top level, is what - a billion dollar industry?  If not, then hundreds of million.  Without the players, it's a zero-dollar industry.

The best option is to dissolve it altogether, as it brings out the absolute worst in society, but knowing that'll never happen, paying the players fairly is a more than reasonable approach.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:04 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Just like everyone who says the federal government should “pull federal funding” to California (😂) for various reasons, I say screw it. Go ahead and do that. California could rather easily set something up (such as state wide leagues) on their own to remain sustainable and profitable. Let the rest of the country swing with their dicks out in the open breeze and learn just how dependable really they are on this state. That’ll be so much fun to watch once they realize just how monumentally :censored:ed they are. 

Its amazing that the people who gripe about how much sway this state has seem to understand so little about why it has so much influence. 

Don't believe for a minute that there aren't a good number of us in hopelessly gerrymandered states who are rooting for California to do just that. Especially when the domino effect would necessitate the schools in my neck of the woods to take a stand if they want their cherished college athletic traditions (hello, Rose Bowl) to continue.