NCAA Votes To Allow College Athletes To Profit From Name, Image And Likeness

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So essentially, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Fresno State, San Jose State, San Diego State all become pro football teams?

No. The students can obtain their own outside payment for endorsements, etc..., but the schools don’t pay them. That aspect hasn’t changed. 

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this law and the O’Bannon case are getting confused. This isn’t going to pay royalties for jerseys sold at the school bookstore.

Besides, Larry Scott has his joke of a TV network to get a handle on before whining about a law that’s not going to take any cash out of his pocket in the least.

VmWIn6B.png

California allowing athlete endorsements is such a natural recruiting advantage that the SEC states are going to have to follow suit ASAP. The end result isn't surprising to me, though the pace certainly is.

It's like the immediate vaping bans, but not as stupid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

5 hours ago, dfwabel said:

With SB206 signed into law, late yesterday we got the next big fish with legislation introduced....f'n Florida!

https://myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=66760&SessionId=89

Much smaller fish, West Virginia will likely have legislation in committee in January 2020.

https://twitter.com/WVUFLU/status/1178689986377457666

Sweet. Florida will really force the issue between FL St, Florida and UCF. Getting the SEC involved as the king of college football conferences almost ensures change will come swiftly the NCAA.

Minnesota legislator looks to introduce bill on NIL rights for Student-Athletes:

Pennsylvania is also going to see some action on this front.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

NCAA should ban scholarships for California schools (and any other state) that allows athletes to get paid. Make them pay tuition just like everyone else. Millions of Americans are being suffocated by student loan debt. Unable to buy decent homes, reliable vehicles or start families because we're stuck paying for a degree we got 10+ years ago. Most of us had jobs during college and juggled that along with schoolwork. We didn't get special treatment in classes. We didn't get to skip whenever we wanted or miss time for games. I just don't get how anyone can complain about going to school for free. But here we are....

Its a free market and there is a big market for college football. I don't think its the end of the world if the players are compensated for their efforts like I was when I cleaned grocery store bathrooms in college. College players can't even be a janitor so I don't know why it's a big deal for them to be compensated for their work.

You know, there's something funny about the most marketable of the college sports (football and basketball), I can't quite put my finger on it... why we'd insist on them playing in college instead of going pro by the time they're of a consenting age...

congress-passes-13th-amendment-150-years-agos-featured-photo.jpg

...but I'm sure that has nothing to do with it. ;) 

22 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

NCAA should ban scholarships for California schools (and any other state) that allows athletes to get paid. Make them pay tuition just like everyone else. Millions of Americans are being suffocated by student loan debt. Unable to buy decent homes, reliable vehicles or start families because we're stuck paying for a degree we got 10+ years ago. Most of us had jobs during college and juggled that along with schoolwork. We didn't get special treatment in classes. We didn't get to skip whenever we wanted or miss time for games. I just don't get how anyone can complain about going to school for free. But here we are....

"My experience sucked so others have to suffer to" is a pervasive worldview, but I don't know what good it ever accomplishes.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, VDizzle12 said:

this is a terrible take. Sorry but most students don’t generate any money for their schools, and don’t end up with the means to donate hundreds of thousands after they turn pro. 

sorry you had to pay tuition. So did I.  But I didn’t watch people buying my jersey, playing as me in video games, make a multi-million $ salary because I won games for him, etc. 

Maybe you shoulda got a business degree. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

"My experience sucked so others have to suffer to" is a pervasive worldview, but I don't know what good it ever accomplishes.

It just hurts more people, especially since many of those athletes come from disadvantaged backgrounds and the NCAA doesn't want them earning money at a young age in football or basketball. Baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, soccer? You can be in your mid-teens and we'll let the pros throw money at you!

What's the linking point between football and basketball collegiate athletes? I think we all know but are too afraid to say it (due to forum rules).

Just now, SFGiants58 said:

It just hurts more people, especially since many of those athletes come from disadvantaged backgrounds and the NCAA doesn't want them earning money at a young age in football or basketball. Baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, soccer? You can be in your mid-teens and we'll let the pros throw money at you!

What's the linking point between football and basketball collegiate athletes? I think we all know but are too afraid to say it (due to forum rules).

I’ve made that unspoken point before, and I stand by it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, VDizzle12 said:

You didn't get hit repeatedly in your head either during your college years while practicing for a "non job", or did you? If they get injured, their long term medical is their responsibility, not the schools. If you burned your hand at your residence hall cafeteria, you'd have benefit.

Please note that your proposal to "ban scholarships" really falls flat since we can just call it an athletic grant and be done with it.

Oh, just 24% of NCAA expenses are earmarked for as Grants or Scholarships with most of that going to the conferences first, then to the individual schools.

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I’ve made that unspoken point before, and I stand by it. 

45 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Becoming big before their professional counterparts and therefore having the fanbases to be viable businesses is going to be the link here. This stuff goes all the way back before integration.

Just now, Red Wolf said:

Becoming big before their professional counterparts and therefore having the fanbases to be viable businesses is going to be the link here. This stuff goes all the way back before integration.

Yeah, but you get plenty of young people getting big as "viable businesses" in the other sports as well. Baseball, soccer, tennis, golf, and sometimes hockey do that. Bryce Harper would have been stuck in college had he not gone with baseball, as would Mike Trout and Kris Bryant. 

It might go back to before integration, but let's just say it adapted well to it. Too well to it.

15 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, soccer? You can be in your mid-teens and we'll let the pros throw money at you!

High school football and basketball players can earn money straight out of high school. There’s no law against that. They don’t have to go to college.

College athletes in all sports can’t accept money and retain eligibility. The new legislation applies to all athletes. 

College tennis and golf players aren’t paid until they turn pro...pretty sure that applies in baseball and hockey, where they are drafted, but contract money is held in escrow until athlete turns pro. 

The NFL’s three year rule is there to limit medical liability. 

The NBA’s one year rule that was reinstituted could be due to racism...but the league doesn’t seem to be an overtly racist league. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

High school football and basketball players can earn money straight out of high school. There’s no law against that. They don’t have to go to college.

College athletes in all sports can’t accept money and retain eligibility. The new legislation applies to all athletes. 

College tennis and golf players aren’t paid until they turn pro...pretty sure that applies in baseball and hockey, where they are drafted, but contract money is held in escrow until athlete turns pro. 

The NFL’s three year rule is there to limit medical liability. 

The NBA’s one year rule that was reinstituted could be due to racism...but the league doesn’t seem to be an overtly racist league. 

There's no law against that either, just a made-up NCAA rule, made by people who profit off of free football labor, and that benefits coaches and big schools.  Maybe the NCAA is good for non-revenue sports like swimming - I'm not sure - but I fail to see why it's necessary for big-time sports.  

Football coaches aren't the highest-paid state employees because they're great strategists.  They're paid well because they recruit the top athletes, who work for free and quite frankly, have demands on them that neither you nor I had (granted their academic demands are likely far less.)  They never made a TV show to film my Comp Sci classes and broadcast them to 10s of millions of people who would place bets on the money line for exams.  

I really cannot understand any argument against these guys receiving money for their own likeness when other people directly profit from them, other than 1) jealousy or 2) race.  There it is.  Not saying that you or anyone specific are part of the racial element of this - I obviously don't know what's going through anyone's head - but in a broad sense, I think that's why the overwhelming majority of people who are "outraged" by this just happen to not reflect the composition of the people who will benefit.

If (the broad) you wants to argue that they shouldn't be paid by the actual schools as if they're employees, then cool - there's plenty of room for debate around that, and plenty of doors that opens and issues of fairness that come into play.  I happen to feel that they should be able to unionize and be considered 'employees', but I understand that there's plenty of arguments against that.  In this case, we're literally talking about their own likeness.  How would anyone feel about someone else selling pics or videos of them online and getting rich off of it, while you get nothing for being 100% responsible for his wealth?

Archived