Unusual Home Uniform One-Offs

CS85

Thought this could be an interesting subject, but apologies if one of these already exists somewhere.  Mods, feel free to merge or whathaveyou if I have duly sinned.

---

Example:  Bears randomly wear white-on-navy in 2010 home opener against Detroit Lions

I'd like to see instances of when teams bucked tradition to wear the roads at home/etc in an instance that has been rare or never seen since.  It's a bit muddied now, what with the NBA's changes, but I'm curious what people can dredge up.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Lane Kiffin made the Raiders wear white at home for an early-season game for what was either the first time since the working-the-kinks-out years of the Raiders (black and dark gold, no Al Davis) or the first time ever, and shortly thereafter he was FIYAHED FUH CAWWWSE. I don't think the Raiders would wear white at home again after that until the NFL Brand Dilution Initiative was forced upon them.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Lane Kiffin made the Raiders wear white at home for an early-season game for what was either the first time since the working-the-kinks-out years of the Raiders (black and dark gold, no Al Davis) or the first time ever, and shortly thereafter he was FIYAHED FUH CAWWWSE. I don't think the Raiders would wear white at home again after that until the NFL Brand Dilution Initiative was forced upon them.

Googling revealed this was likely 2008 vs. the Chargers.

https://uni-watch.com/research-projects/white-at-home-in-the-nfl/

Uni-Watch (obviously) has an entire page dedicated to instances this has happened in the NFL.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 10/31/2019 at 10:09 AM, the admiral said:

On 10/31/2019 at 10:25 AM, CS85 said:

Googling revealed this was likely 2008 vs. the Chargers.

https://uni-watch.com/research-projects/white-at-home-in-the-nfl/

Uni-Watch (obviously) has an entire page dedicated to instances this has happened in the NFL.

2008 was Lane's final game with the Raiders.  I was there.  He had Janikowski try a 73-yard FG.  That was also the year the team celebrated their 50th season with a patch.

The 2009 game was also against the Chargers and they wore a 50th AFL patch and the white jerseys with silver numbers when Chargers wore Powder Blues.  At that one too. 

ynQscjP.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, ProfessorBigShots said:

The Twins wore the red alternate caps with the white home uniforms for a series against the Blue Jays in September 2017. I am pretty sure it is the only time they ever wore this hat and jersey combination.

bc-bba-blue-jays-twins-img-jpg.jpg?w=539

At least since 1986, that is.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Bears are wearing their white wishbone C helmets with gray facemasks this weekend with their normal home uniform otherwise.  This seems highly irregular.

twitter

One thing jumps out to me, though it’s not a jersey but pants. Ravens wore gold pants in a game against the Chiefs in 2015, and thankfully they’ve never been seen again. The fact that we saw the Ravens break out gold pants before purple pants still boggles my mind, especially with how good the purple pants look. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Unusual one-offs at home featuring the 2013 Grey Cup Champion Saskatchewan Roughriders.

This happened at least once.  May have happened 2 times at the most Rider fans?  The Riders wore white road helmets from 2012-2015.  The white helmet made a rare appearance at home worn with the green jerseys.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2013 Western Semifinal.  Roughriders wearing their throwback style uniform, except wearing the green pants instead of the usual white for this alternate.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nebraska went all-red against Oklahoma in 1986.  It's not a terrible look, but we lost the game to the Sooners and the fans superstitiously decided that all-reds was a bad look. 

All%20Red.jpg2.jpg?height=400&width=329

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

On 11/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, CS85 said:

Bears are wearing their white wishbone C helmets with gray facemasks this weekend with their normal home uniform otherwise.  This seems highly irregular.

lt was a throwback uniform to 1963, when the Bears faced the Giants in the NFL Championship Game.  

spacer.png

April 6, 2003, for the last home game of the season vs the New Jersey Devils, the Buffalo Sabres decided to pull a surprise uniform switch.  Rather than come out in their regular white, black and red home jerseys, they chose to wear the old white, blue and gold jerseys that hadn't been worn since they moved out of the Memorial Auditorium in 1996.  The change was not only a surprise to the fans, it was also a surprise to the players, who wore their regular home uniform for pre-game warmups and were only told of the change after warmups, just minutes before the start of the game. 

Since the decision to wear the throwback jerseys came at the last minute (and no doubt since the team was officially still bankrupt and being operated by the league) they wore the jerseys and socks with their regular black breezers and red and black gloves.

zpv0iAi.jpg  jlb6mXX.jpg  iYv0GKx.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if it counts, but there was a time in the late 2000s where the Orioles wore orange BP jerseys at home. Obviously, this was before the cartoon bird's grand return in 2012 that gave us full-time orange alternates, so it was the closest you'd see to being legit at the time.

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

Archived