Unusual Home Uniform One-Offs

CS85

Wisconsin's mid-'90s very '90s uniform, featuring giant motion Ws on the shoulders, white sleeves, and maybe drop-shadowed numerals. The team got clobbered and the jerseys got mothballed.

In 1994, the Cubs couldn't win a game at home for anything, so they tried wearing their blue BP jerseys. Didn't help.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 4:38 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Wisconsin's mid-'90s very '90s uniform, featuring giant motion Ws on the shoulders, white sleeves, and maybe drop-shadowed numerals. The team got clobbered and the jerseys got mothballed.

Yes, dropshadowed numbers. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Unpopular opinion?  I like these better then the current ones, with that awful number font. 

I'm reaching out to the internet hive mind to see if anyone knows anything about this, and I know it's a long shot.

I'm a fan of a Collegiate Summer Wood Bat team called the Rochester Honkers, who play in Rochester, Minnesota. I recently purchased this Honkers jersey, but I can't find any information on it. If anyone knows anything, or has any ideas besides contacting the team (already tried), I appreciate it. Here's the jersey:

spacer.png

78312321_10156428241032414_7403416813821

How about the one game when the Edmonton Eskimos were wearing stars on their uniforms?

1988 CFL All-Star Game.  The All-Stars playing the defending Grey Cup Champions, the Eskimos.

Hard to find pictures of this rare one-off, but we do have the YouTube footage.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:27 PM, pianoknight said:

Nebraska went all-red against Oklahoma in 1986.  It's not a terrible look, but we lost the game to the Sooners and the fans superstitiously decided that all-reds was a bad look. 

All%20Red.jpg2.jpg?height=400&width=329

Cornhuskers or Clothuskers?

On 11/2/2019 at 4:47 PM, dfwabel said:

2008 was Lane's final game with the Raiders.  I was there.  He had Janikowski try a 73-yard FG.  That was also the year the team celebrated their 50th season with a patch.

The 2009 game was also against the Chargers and they wore a 50th AFL patch and the white jerseys with silver numbers when Chargers wore Powder Blues.  At that one too. 

ynQscjP.jpg

Seems like the only patch the Raiders had in 2008 was the Gene Upshaw patch.

nov-02-2008-oakland-ca-usa-oakland-raide

The Raiders' 50th anniversary patch was used in 2009.

58-580382_raiders-logo-wallpaper-oakland

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:21 PM, Wade Heidt said:

How about the one game when the Edmonton Eskimos were wearing stars on their uniforms?

1988 CFL All-Star Game.  The All-Stars playing the defending Grey Cup Champions, the Eskimos.

Here is a still shot of the Edmonton jersey from that game...

spacer.png

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

I was at the game when Wisconsin got clobbered in those uniforms...which I viewed as a cross between the Cowboys (who had big stars on the shoulders on their blue jersey) and the Niners (their drop-shadows). They sold replicas.  I wish I'd purchased one.

I love when that uniform is brought up...those same three graphics are always posted.  There's not much else out there.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Ty204 said:

More of a league wide one-off, but in 1989 the CFL experimented with WAH for a number of weeks during the regular season. 
https://youtu.be/XU86p5VUF3U

Here’s a clip of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers wearing their white jerseys at home, for the only time ever outside of exhibition games. 

I do remember the Roughriders wearing white at home in 1989.  Riders did it a few times in 1989.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/Photo+gallery+1989+Roughrider+season/1826633/story.html

On 1/22/2020 at 8:21 PM, Wade Heidt said:

"Brought to you by Foster's Lager, the Golden Throatcharmer"

This is weird on so many levels.

Mississippi State did WAH a couple of times between 2006-09. 2006 vs South Carolina & Auburn, and both 2007 and 2009 vs LSU.

In 1998 and 2000, Spurrier had Florida go WAH vs LSU--maybe to get back at the Bayou Bengals a few years earlier for egging on the NCAA to let them wear white in Tiger Stadium.

19 hours ago, rob4671 said:

I read your comment with your avatar and sig and thought for a second that you said the Philadelphia Eagles wore all maroon for a game in 1979, and was very disappointed that there weren't any pictures. 

• 3 weeks later...

The Saints wore this jersey once, lost, and promptly never wore them again.

spacer.png

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Veryyyy unusual uniform for Florida (not positive they only wore them for one game, but I believe so) 

Image result for florida gators alternate uniform

Also this shtick from Nike back in like 2005.  Forgot who else did this too. 

Image result for florida gators alternate uniformImage result for virignia tech alternate uniform vickImage result for 2005 miami hurricanes alternate

A buddy of mine who is a VT fan loveddd that uniform.  Another example of different strokes for different folks

90758391980.gif

On 1/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, NorthStarNines said:

I'm reaching out to the internet hive mind to see if anyone knows anything about this, and I know it's a long shot.

I'm a fan of a Collegiate Summer Wood Bat team called the Rochester Honkers, who play in Rochester, Minnesota. I recently purchased this Honkers jersey, but I can't find any information on it. If anyone knows anything, or has any ideas besides contacting the team (already tried), I appreciate it. Here's the jersey:

spacer.png

78312321_10156428241032414_7403416813821

That jersey is definitely from the NWL's infancy.  But I can't give a much better estimate of a specific year than 90s or early-mid 2000s.

You best bet might be to seek out old programs on eBay and try to date it that way.

Archived