TheLAKnight

Houston Aeros (NHL Expansion/Relocation) [Update 11/5]

Last year, there was a lot of discussion about Houston as a new market for the NHL. If the city was to get a team, it would make the most sense to revive the name Aeros after the successful WHA franchise (1972-78) and later AHL franchise (1994-2013). 

The original Aeros wore blue and powder blue with AEROS diagonally across the front of both jerseys. Today, the team would need to share the Toyota Center with the Rockets, who are historically a red clad team. The arena follows this color scheme having red seats.

Image result for toyota center

In order to match the arena, tie into the history of the name, and avoid looking like the division rival Jets, the Aeros are a red team with navy and powder blue secondary colors. These colors also connect to the other professional sports teams in the area as the Texans wear navy and red and the Astros wear orange and navy.

The team's primary logo features a roundel with the team name in white with a navy border on a powder blue background with a WWII era plane over a red circle. The secondary logo is a roundel with a star reminiscent of various US military aircraft, but with an A over top of the star.

spacer.png 

spacer.png spacer.png

The home uniform features a red jersey with the primary logo on the front, sleeve stripes which an homage to the Texas state flag with the player's number taking the place of the star, and and hem striping which omits the bottom powder blue and navy stripes since the striping is very thick. The helmet is red with AEROS on the side and the pants are navy with one white and one red stripe down the side.

The white uniform uses the same striping on the jersey as the red one plus it retains the red shoulders.

The alternate uniform is navy and takes aspects of the WHA team's uniforms (AEROS diagonally across the front, sleeve striping from the white, hem striping from the blue), but with red included.

spacer.png

NOBs are of players from the WHA franchise:

Frank Hughes - Most Goals

Larry Lund - Most Assists/Points

Gordie Howe

I'm really interested to see what people think about this. C&C are greatly appreciated! Might have some updates in the near future.

I think if Houston gets an expansion team going with anything other than the Aeros would be a mistake. You are right about trying to avoid a problem with Winnipeg, but I think the alternate Aeros wordmark jersey is still too close to the Jets jersey. All that being said, I really dig the incorporation of the flag numbers thing a lot. 

I like the theme going here, but those colours would need to change. You already have a jet themed identity, and those are pretty much an inverse of Winnipeg's.

8 hours ago, TheLAKnight said:

Last year, there was a lot of discussion about Houston as a new market for the NHL. If the city was to get a team, it would make the most sense to revive the name Aeros after the successful WHA franchise (1972-78) and later AHL franchise (1994-2013). 

The original Aeros wore blue and powder blue with AEROS diagonally across the front of both jerseys. Today, the team would need to share the Toyota Center with the Rockets, who are historically a red clad team. The arena follows this color scheme having red seats.

In order to match the arena, tie into the history of the name, and avoid looking like the division rival Jets, the Aeros are a red team with navy and powder blue secondary colors. These colors also connect to the other professional sports teams in the area as the Texans wear navy and red and the Astros wear orange and navy.

The team's primary logo features a roundel with the team name in white with a navy border on a powder blue background with a WWII era plane over a red circle. The secondary logo is a roundel with a star reminiscent of various US military aircraft, but with an A over top of the star.

spacer.png 

spacer.png spacer.png

The home uniform features a red jersey with the primary logo on the front, sleeve stripes which an homage to the Texas state flag with the player's number taking the place of the star, and and hem striping which omits the bottom powder blue and navy stripes since the striping is very thick. The helmet is red with AEROS on the side and the pants are navy with one white and one red stripe down the side.

The white uniform uses the same striping on the jersey as the red one plus it retains the red shoulders.

The alternate uniform is navy and takes aspects of the WHA team's uniforms (AEROS diagonally across the front, sleeve striping from the white, hem striping from the blue), but with red included.

spacer.png

Gordie Howe

I'm really interested to see what people think about this. C&C are greatly appreciated! Might have some updates in the near future.

I like the concept but maybe it would be better if you went with a different color scheme. 

Maybe try burnt orange with the different blues? 

Honestly, I'd say just going for a three tone powder blue/navy blue/white combo might make it look quite nice. We already have multiple teams that use some combo of red, black or white in the NHL, and red doesn't really work with the rest of the colors in the set; the red ultimately feels like more of a distraction to the set's identity then anything; especially since red isn't really a super prominent color on the logo anyways.

I think the team would look fine using powder blue as the primary color for the white jersey, with navy as a secondary color. It keeps them distinct from the Jets, which use navy blue as the primary color and powder blue as a secondary on their white jersey. Especially with the different jersey designs, I doubt people would mix them up too readily; Winnipeg uses a whole arm yoke on the away, not a squared-off shoulder yoke. And a primarily red jersey also ends up looking kind of Caps-esque.

All you'd need to do is give a navy home jersey a powder blue shoulder yoke like the away and I think it'd be pretty hard to mix the two up, especially due to the arm striping. Winnipeg and Houston sharing colors wouldn't be unprecedented, anyways; a few teams in the current NHL use the same colors on their jerseys (Tampa/Toronto both use blue and white, New Jersey/Chicago/Ottawa/Carolina all use red/black/white), it wouldn't be unusual to have two more.

I'm curious what this would look like if you went full Houston Oilers color scheme for the uniforms.  That would be a great way to instantly get the city on the team's side.  Love ya blue could make a return to the city.  

On 10/31/2019 at 4:21 PM, TheLAKnight said:

spacer.png 

spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png

Gordie Howe

Then for like a one off night, it could be a (nasa) rocket. I totally forgot this was a houston concept. 

I think this still has too many similarities to the Jets.

May I suggest the old Oilers colorway?  Their brand is still very popular in Houston, it contains one of the Aeros historical colors, but also includes the red you were looking for.

On 11/1/2019 at 8:21 AM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Honestly, I'd say just going for a three tone powder blue/navy blue/white combo might make it look quite nice. We already have multiple teams that use some combo of red, black or white in the NHL, and red doesn't really work with the rest of the colors in the set; the red ultimately feels like more of a distraction to the set's identity then anything; especially since red isn't really a super prominent color on the logo anyways.

I think the team would look fine using powder blue as the primary color for the white jersey, with navy as a secondary color. It keeps them distinct from the Jets, which use navy blue as the primary color and powder blue as a secondary on their white jersey. Especially with the different jersey designs, I doubt people would mix them up too readily; Winnipeg uses a whole arm yoke on the away, not a squared-off shoulder yoke. And a primarily red jersey also ends up looking kind of Caps-esque.

All you'd need to do is give a navy home jersey a powder blue shoulder yoke like the away and I think it'd be pretty hard to mix the two up, especially due to the arm striping. Winnipeg and Houston sharing colors wouldn't be unprecedented, anyways; a few teams in the current NHL use the same colors on their jerseys (Tampa/Toronto both use blue and white, New Jersey/Chicago/Ottawa/Carolina all use red/black/white), it wouldn't be unusual to have two more.

Really tying into the original Aeros, this color scheme is almost the WHA franchise. Option 1 has a navy heavy white uniform while option 2 is powder blue heavy. In both cases, the alternate take from the first concept becomes the basis for the home and road uniforms.

spacer.png spacer.png

On 11/1/2019 at 9:29 AM, darkpiranha said:

I'm curious what this would look like if you went full Houston Oilers color scheme for the uniforms.  That would be a great way to instantly get the city on the team's side.  Love ya blue could make a return to the city.  

On 11/4/2019 at 2:48 PM, NicDB said:

I think this still has too many similarities to the Jets.

May I suggest the old Oilers colorway?  Their brand is still very popular in Houston, it contains one of the Aeros historical colors, but also includes the red you were looking for.

The design of the above alternate was going to be an hockey version of the Oilers' powder blue uniform (note the stripes). Rather than just create a white version, I recolored the home and road from above. Another idea was to rely more on the Oilers colors, but keep navy around. This more closely resembles the first concept with powder blue replacing red as the base color. It also allows for the Texas flag striping to be used.

spacer.png spacer.png

On 10/31/2019 at 5:31 PM, heavybassX said:

Hmmmmmm would Orange works alongside Oiler Blue?

On 10/31/2019 at 10:46 PM, 29texan said:

I like the concept but maybe it would be better if you went with a different color scheme. 

Maybe try burnt orange with the different blues

Still working on how to incorporate orange, but I should have something in the next few days.

Great work! I like the Oilers colors best. Could we possibly see the one with the navy trim with red breezers? Red numbers might also be better on the white sweater.

The colors are fine, but maybe go with the WWII warbird scheme of the IHL '95-'02 team? With the aircraft nose sticking out of the roundel, and the star roundel with the stripes as a secondary logo?

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Great work! I like the Oilers colors best. Could we possibly see the one with the navy trim with red breezers? Red numbers might also be better on the white sweater.

It's an interesting look. Not sure which I prefer. To keep the stripes on the pants, I added navy to the outside.

spacer.png

40 minutes ago, Tygers09 said:

The colors are fine, but maybe go with the WWII warbird scheme of the IHL '95-'02 team? With the aircraft nose sticking out of the roundel, and the star roundel with the stripes as a secondary logo?

I worked this their logo some, but the workmark is a bit dated now. One thing that I would need to tweak is the colors because green should probably be avoided given that Dallas and Minnesota would be in the same division with Houston.

Man, that secondary "A" logo is fantastic. The Texas flag in the arm striping is also really clever. Nice work.