DNAsports

Players who look BETTER or WORSE after a number change

Recommended Posts

Every once in a while a player in any sport has to change their number. Whether it’s being paid to give it away to another player, that number is already taken after a trade to a new team, etc. It happens.

 

For this, I’m looking at players who had their number change for more than one game, but at least half a season. Sorry Michael Jordan’s 12, but Michael Jordan’s 45? Welcome to the list.

 

Lets start off with players who look/ed BETTER after a number change:

 

Kirk Cousins Before:

spacer.png

 

After:

spacer.png

 

Robert Griffin III Before (also worn with Browns):

spacer.png

 

After:

spacer.png

 

Now for players who look/ed WORSE 

 

Jarvis Landry Before:

spacer.png

 

After:

spacer.png
 

Amari Cooper Before:

spacer.png

 

After:

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worse:

Fat Shaq in 36 for the Celtics

shaq-celtics-269x198.jpg

 

Better:

Slimmed and health Dwight Howard in 39 for the Lakers

USATSI_13517571-e1572113823982.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Every once in a while a player in any sport has to change their number. 

 

Kirk Cousins Before:

spacer.png

 

After:

spacer.png

 

Robert Griffin III Before (also worn with Browns):

spacer.png

 

After:

spacer.png

 

 

 

I'm not getting this. Do you just like quarterbacks better in single digits? 

 

Because 12 is an absolute classic QB number. Staubach, Bradshaw,  Namath, Kelly, Brady... And 10 is pretty awesome too. I like QBs better with numbers in the teens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worse!

 

845044622-philadelphia-phillies-v-washin

 

952235362-arizona-diamondbacks-v-washing

 

 

Better!

 

1180137127.jpg.0.jpg

 

Mostly because he wore 47 for the Angels, Phillies and Dodgers before the #4 and #12 nonsense in DC. AND LOOK WHAT FREAKING HAPPENED!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck finding a picture, but I remember Jason Heyward starting off with the Atlanta Braves wearing 78. I wish he would've kept it...he eventually ended up switching to 22, which I believe he still wears now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shumway said:

Worse!

 

845044622-philadelphia-phillies-v-washin

 

952235362-arizona-diamondbacks-v-washing

 

 

Better!

 

1180137127.jpg.0.jpg

 

Mostly because he wore 47 for the Angels, Phillies and Dodgers before the #4 and #12 nonsense in DC. AND LOOK WHAT FREAKING HAPPENED!!

I get why 47 is a lot more important and why it looks more “normal”, but aesthetically speaking, 12 and 4 look a lot better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Buc said:

Good luck finding a picture, but I remember Jason Heyward starting off with the Atlanta Braves wearing 78. I wish he would've kept it...he eventually ended up switching to 22, which I believe he still wears now.

Jason Heyward never wore #78. Maybe in the minors or a spring training game, but his entire time in the majors hes worn #22. Here's his first ever at-bat, very clearing wearing #22.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a player who wasn't a spring training callup and even made an all star team as a Phillie, John Kruk managed to sport 4 different numbers playing for the Fightins.

 

73260.jpg 51Q0wVUE22L._SY445_.jpg 11779_kruk_jersey.jpg image_php_10330732.jpg (421Ã500)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

For a player who wasn't a spring training callup and even made an all star team as a Phillie, John Kruk managed to sport 4 different numbers playing for the Fightins.

 

Granted, I was 5 in 1991, but I really don't remember him wearing #28. Was it for the full season? I think the only way I remember 11 and 19 is because I had those cards.

 

I tried to look it up, and all I see is that he traded #28 to Mitch Williams, who was acquired at the beginning of the season, for two cases of beer. That's fantastic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/2/2019 at 10:38 AM, DG_Now said:

Slimmed and health Dwight Howard in 39 for the Lakers

USATSI_13517571-e1572113823982.jpg

 

It might be a factor of time, but I will disagree on this. I was looking forward to seeing Dwight wearing 12 in this newer Laker uniform set; 39 is....uh...different to say the least.

On that note of Lakers, does LeBron still plan to give AD no. 23 after this season? I know they had to put it off a year because Nike makes tons of LeBron jerseys because LeBron, but I wonder if it's worth it?

 

Now here's a number change that caught me by surprise: Wieters going from 15 to 32 seemed like a downgrade at first, but time proved me wrong.

500px-Matt_Wieters_(August_2009).jpgN5T2MG5YAVFVDIOURWHK4SMD6M.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheBigFiz21 said:

Now here's a number change that caught me by surprise: Wieters going from 15 to 32 seemed like a downgrade at first, but time proved me wrong.

Speaking of Orioles changing their numbers:
 

Kevin Gausman from:

spacer.png

 

to (better):

spacer.png

 

to (worse):

spacer.png

 

to (better):

spacer.png
 

Nick Markakis from:

spacer.png

 

to:

spacer.png


For Markakis, it’s difficult to decide what’s better or worse. It’s a bit of a lateral move considering it’s only a one number difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade: 

spacer.png

to:

spacer.png

Hab fans already know there's only 1 #73 for them, and that's Micheal Ryder. Happy that Gally gave it up when he got traded back to Montreal during his rookie year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raul without the 7 would have looked weirder, but still, this is way worse than 7

spacer.png

 

Durant does not look like a 7 at all. Generally bigger guys look best with double digit numbers

spacer.png

 

Conversely,  Luka Doncic needs to go back to 7 the moment it becomes available. 77 should be a role player, not a superstar

spacer.png 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 5:54 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

spacer.png

Hab fans already know there's only 1 #73 for them, and that's Micheal Ryder. Happy that Gally gave it up when he got traded back to Montreal during his rookie year. 

 

 

It's really weird seeing a Canadien #11 that's not Saku Koivu. It just doesn't look right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, Shumway said:

 

Granted, I was 5 in 1991, but I really don't remember him wearing #28. Was it for the full season? I think the only way I remember 11 and 19 is because I had those cards.

 

I tried to look it up, and all I see is that he traded #28 to Mitch Williams, who was acquired at the beginning of the season, for two cases of beer. That's fantastic!

 

I'm not sure if he even wore 28 in a regular season game, but I recall him at the time talking about just wanting some beer for it.  He kept 29 even after Mitchie Poo changed to 99 in '93.  Not sure why he changed from 19 to 28 in the first place, but I"m pretty sure he didn't really care about numbers so somebody else probably just asked for 19.

 

EDIT: just looked up the date of the trade, and Mitch was dealt to the team the day before opening day, so they he probably never wore it in a real game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

 

I'm not sure if he even wore 28 in a regular season game, but I recall him at the time talking about just wanting some beer for it.  He kept 29 even after Mitchie Poo changed to 99 in '93.  Not sure why he changed from 19 to 28 in the first place, but I"m pretty sure he didn't really care about numbers so somebody else probably just asked for 19.

 

EDIT: just looked up the date of the trade, and Mitch was dealt to the team the day before opening day, so they he probably never wore it in a real game.

 

#19 on the 1991 Phillies was John Lindeman (never heard of him?), so yeah, no idea why Krukker changed to 28. Also, looking at the '91 Phillies on Baseball Reference really brought out some names I completely forgot about, most notably Bruce Ruffin and Randy Ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howard Johnson briefly switched from number 20 to number 44 in the early 1990s. He didn't look right in it, and, what's more, he didn't feel right. So he changed back to number 20 after less than a season.

 

Speaking of members of the 1986 Mets, there were number downgrades in store for both Dwight Gooden (16 to 11) and Darryl Strawberry (18 to 26 and then to 39) when they came to the Yankees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.