NHL owners ponder starting new league.

Ez Street

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:therock:

Ok, I can understand the players starting a new league, but not the owners. Why start a new league when you already have a league. Also, who would they get to play in the league because if you start a new league you won't get current NHL players because they will consider it the same league and thus the union will have the same stance as far as a salary cap. If you can get players not in the union to play why not just use them as replacement players in the NHL instead of a new league. Again I could understand the players starting a new league because then they would get what they want and they would have the top level players to play in the league.

Bottom line you need the top players for the league to as succesful and not looked as a minor league. If the owners start a new league they wouldn't be able to get those players.

I'm willing to bet the "unidentified owner" is Philip Anschutz of the Kings. He's stupid enough to be willing to attempt something like this. Need proof? How about his refusal to work something out for Ziggy Palffy. Now THAT'S stupid!

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

:therock:

Ok, I can understand the players starting a new league, but not the owners. Why start a new league when you already have a league. Also, who would they get to play in the league because if you start a new league you won't get current NHL players because they will consider it the same league and thus the union will have the same stance as far as a salary cap. If you can get players not in the union to play why not just use them as replacement players in the NHL instead of a new league. Again I could understand the players starting a new league because then they would get what they want and they would have the top level players to play in the league.

Bottom line you need the top players for the league to as succesful and not looked as a minor league. If the owners start a new league they wouldn't be able to get those players.

Because, in a new league, they can just put it in black and white: Salary Cap: Take it or not play. And the NHLPA would be absolutly powerless. Where the hell will they all go? Russia? Finland? The owners have the arenas, the prestige, the capital needed to pay these guys the 5mil a year. Very few others do. Take the WHA for example.

Will it get to that point? I'm hopin' not. But it makes sense to me.

I understand the idea and what the attempt would be. But would they be able to sign the players. The NHLPA would be able to recognized that this would be the same league. They would probably go to wherever they are going now with the lockout. Also if a new league would start I'm sure the NHLPA would file some type of lawsuit.

I understand they idea, but I don't know if it would be able to work without. If it would work I would be all for it.

Actually the NHL was started when the owners of the NHA, except one formed the NHL--in that case it was to get rid of an owner...

So there is some precedent...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

ah, yes, i recall the story: the other owners were angry with the Toronto owner, so they got a new TO owner, pulled their teams from teh NHA, and formed the NHL(can't really have a one-team league, now can ya?). sounds like they see doing the same thing as an option, only they're getting rid of the players' union. and the NHLPA is sort of useless without the NHL part :hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I'm really not so sure this is a bad idea. In fact, I like it quite a bit. The NHL owners are basically saying "You guys play in the NHL. If you guys refuse to agree to a system that will benefit everyone and the sport in general, we'll end the NHL and you'll have nowhere to go." Eventually, this would force the players to come back, knowing that they have no leverage in a new league where CBA precedents and league bylaws, as well as a players' association, do not exist.

It also provides an excellent opportunity for the league to reinvent itself. By launching an entirely new brand, not just a marketing campaign, the league has the ability to market itself in entirely new ways and get back some forgotten fans, as well as create new ones.

But then again, it could also be the dumbest thing ever.

Not sure.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I'm willing to bet the "unidentified owner" is Philip Anschutz of the Kings. He's stupid enough to be willing to attempt something like this. Need proof? How about his refusal to work something out for Ziggy Palffy. Now THAT'S stupid!

Or moving the San Jose Earthquakes with a dedicated fan base. :P

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Gang, as ridiculous as this sounds, its' not only feasible, but perhaps downright easy. Consider...

--- The NHL is a non-profit, unincorporated membership association. Unlike other structures, this type can be disbanded about as easily as the local Rotary Club.

--- The franchises, as corporations, LLC's, or other types of legal entities, can easily reconstitute themselves as another league. Their leases would be, in almost all cases, still enforceable whether they played in the NHL, WHA, or the QMJHL, for that matter.

--- The NEW HOCKEY LEAGUE ("NHL"?) could easily establish itself under whatever precepts it wanted to: salary cap, rule changes, you name it.

--- The Stanley Cup is not the property of the NHL per se - or at least I don't think so. It is technically a challenge cup, which could theoretically be transferred at will from the NHL to any other league. The closest thing it has to a true "owner" I suspect would be the Hockey Hall of Fame.

So doable? Absolutely. Easily. And the players? They'd be out and out screwed blue and tattooed.

nav-logo.png

Archived