Sporting Apparel Store in the 90's.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, KRZYBDGRZ said:

I didn’t know they sold NCAA basketball jerseys and shorts like this. Did these have actual player names and numbers?

No names but those numbers were real guys. The Arkansas # was for Corliss Williamson, Maryland was Exree Hipp, the North Carolina was Ed Cota, Wake Forest was Tim Duncan, KU #45 was Raef LaFrentz and that Missouri was I believe Jason Sutherland.

I hate the new Buccaneers logo. Pewter was boring in 97, even more boring now.

A few questions....

- Based specifically on the Blades jerseys, was this around Kansas City?

- How many non-local teams' jerseys did you actually sell? I used to work at a Finish Line, and we only got local teams and superstars...and Matt Ryan because he was from the town I worked in.

- What happens to all the jerseys you don't sell? Like, where did all the Joe Smith Warriors jerseys end up? I'm guessing thrift stores, but I don't know how this stuff works.

- Do you still have any Burger Kings' jerseys?

- Can I have one? :D

6 minutes ago, Shumway said:

A few questions....

- Based specifically on the Blades jerseys, was this around Kansas City?

- How many non-local teams' jerseys did you actually sell? I used to work at a Finish Line, and we only got local teams and superstars...and Matt Ryan because he was from the town I worked in.

- What happens to all the jerseys you don't sell? Like, where did all the Joe Smith Warriors jerseys end up? I'm guessing thrift stores, but I don't know how this stuff works.

- Do you still have any Burger Kings' jerseys?

- Can I have one? :D

The store was in Kansas City, MO. I made my money on non-local teams, don't get me wrong I sold a lot of Chiefs gear, but in 97 and 98 specifically I sold as much Broncos gear if not more than Chiefs gear. If you look at the college caps in pic #7 of the second set you can tell how much non-local stuff I sold. I sold the daylights out of the Zephyr Graph-X hats with the big logos and big letters on it. I eventually sold every jersey I had in that store. 

The Paintbrush hats take me back...they were really pretty sweet for 1995. Lids had another run of them this year for NFL teams...but it's just not quite the same. 

Lots of great jerseys and logos in those photos. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Great stuff

The last of my local apparel shops closed up last year. Sad times we can’t just browse in these shops anymore. They blamed online sales and people just not buying too many of these items anymore (slumping economy).

Couple questions If you don’t mind answering. 

Did your shop sell authentic jerseys? Were those better sellers than replicas? Which ones had better margin? My local shop seemed to always have trouble keeping certain items in stock, while others just sat. Maybe it was a manufacturer’s ordering issue. I don’t know the specifics. 
-most popular teams or players or jerseys that surprised you?

- did you eventually sell or liquidate off remaining stuff and close up? 
-did you make pretty good $$$ overall

-how hard was it to be ahead of trends or right at the trends ( a super popular college team for that year? The internet era was barely a thing in the early to mid 90s. 

1 hour ago, MattMill said:

Great stuff

The last of my local apparel shops closed up last year. Sad times we can’t just browse in these shops anymore. They blamed online sales and people just not buying too many of these items anymore (slumping economy).

Couple questions If you don’t mind answering. 

Did your shop sell authentic jerseys? Were those better sellers than replicas? Which ones had better margin? My local shop seemed to always have trouble keeping certain items in stock, while others just sat. Maybe it was a manufacturer’s ordering issue. I don’t know the specifics. 
-most popular teams or players or jerseys that surprised you?

- did you eventually sell or liquidate off remaining stuff and close up? 
-did you make pretty good $$$ overall

-how hard was it to be ahead of trends or right at the trends ( a super popular college team for that year? The internet era was barely a thing in the early to mid 90s. 

1. The last picture I posted by itself were of the authentic jersey's. I sold them quite a bit in the NFL and MLB. The replica's outsold the authentics in the NFL but not in the MLB. 

2. Whatever team was winning sold very well for me in the NFL. For instance when the Bucs started the 97 season off so well I had a hell of a time keeping the gear in stock, in 1998 I sold all 40 of my Randy Moss jersey's on the day after Thanksgiving. 1999 I sold St. Louis Rams stuff that had been on my shelf for 4 years. The San Fransisco Spiders IHL jersey was my most surprising seller.

3. I closed October of 2000. I still have a couple of boxes of things and other stuff got sold on ebay around 2010.

4. Yes, enough to retire in 10 years. 

5. Long before Hat Zone (they are now Lids) had different colored hats, I designed a Black and White KC Royals and Red and White Royals hats. Blue Chiefs hats, I will post some pics of the hats I have left over. We were ahead of the trends and it wasn't difficult as long as you were aware of what rapper guys were wearing in the videos.

Archived