Milwaukee Bucks Uniforms Part 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, NicDB said:

Very impressive! I'm definitely curious to hear your take on the Bucks 90s changes. And not just because I'm sure you'll eviscerate them. 

You might be surprised.  😎  I am very much a child of the 90's, although I'm trying not to be a hypocrite about my biases here

That would certainly be a plot twist given all the ground you laid in part one. 

But you definitely hit on one of my frustrations with the Bucks brand.  Historically, it's green, then toss a dart at a Crayola color wheel for the secondary color.

6 hours ago, NicDB said:

That would certainly be a plot twist given all the ground you laid in part one. 

But you definitely hit on one of my frustrations with the Bucks brand.  Historically, it's green, then toss a dart at a Crayola color wheel for the secondary color.

Absolutely.  I'll definitely touch on that.  My biggest frustration continues to be the lack of throwbacks and the inclusion of blue, but...well...I have a lot of beef with the Bucks whole look

• 3 weeks later...

I marked out hard at 4:55 for all those retro Milwaukee TV ads. 

For me, the reason I loved the gradiented Bucks jerseys first and foremost was indeed the fact that they were green. The Bucks finally looked like the Bucks again, and the actual deer was incredibly cutting edge at the time. It was something that could hang with the Pistons and Suns who seemed to be on tv every week at the time.

Great point about the Packers. Such a shame the Brewers dragged their feet for so long about returning to their classic brand. Now we have an entire generation of Brewers playoff highlights in those god awful Cheers jerseys that look nothing like the Brewers. 

I was really looking forward to hearing more about the current Bucks look. But I guess that's what part 3 is for?

On 12/6/2019 at 3:16 AM, NicDB said:

For me, the reason I loved the gradiented Bucks jerseys first and foremost was indeed the fact that they were green. The Bucks finally looked like the Bucks again, and the actual deer was incredibly cutting edge at the time. It was something that could hang with the Pistons and Suns who seemed to be on tv every week at the time.

Great point about the Packers. Such a shame the Brewers dragged their feet for so long about returning to their classic brand. Now we have an entire generation of Brewers playoff highlights in those god awful Cheers jerseys that look nothing like the Brewers. 

I was really looking forward to hearing more about the current Bucks look. But I guess that's what part 3 is for?

Thanks for the feedback....I wanted to cap it off at around 15:00 per video.  I don't really have a rough outline except the one bouncing around in my head.

I generally agree with your comment about the recent Brewers switch being overall a good thing (logo variances aside) but in my opinion the Brewers still spent the last 18 years looking like the Brewers.  They looked like a blue and yellow team with liberal use of classic throwbacks mixed in.  If the Bucks spent 75% of the time looking like the Bucks (which is to say a red and green or a multi-colored green team) then I'd be a lot more forgiving of them doing random "Cream City" nonsense.  Instead the Bucks are a team that wears whatever color of the rainbow they want in ATROCIOUS combinations.

So the purpose of these videos is for me to take as much time as I need to to bury the Bucks for their gross incompetence in managing their brand.  To do that I need to give a lot of other examples of what works and what doesn't work. 

I loved finding those commercials....

I'll give you that... the Brewers still didn't destroy their brand the way the Bucks did.

Unfortunately, thanks to all the special nike jerseys, the rest of the NBA is becoming more like the Bucks. And not in a good way.

That aside, I absolutely love your brand. I grew up just south of Brady, but my mom worked on the Northwest side on the weekends. Spent a lot of time at Aladdin's Castle, Northtown Cinema, and Boy Blue because of it.

I’m just happy you didn’t bring up the incident that happened between MU and MU High School.

spacer.png

I’m thoroughly enjoying the videos! You’re doing fantastic work with your various design & culture arguments, while also providing extensive amounts of context for the Bucks’ brand.

Man...Aladdin's Castle...loved that place back in the day.  In a bit of irony, across from its former Racine location is an Army recruiting office.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 hours ago, DavidDunn21 said:

What's the MU story?

If the blue barrels weren't a clue, I'll spell it out: 

121nazw8mj3y.jpg

The Oxford Apartments were right between Marquette and Marquette High School, IIRC. I thought about finding that spot, but good taste prevailed and I decided to leave it alone. Enough weirdos seek that site out (would be nice to have a memorial for the victims there, BTW).

On 12/6/2019 at 4:16 AM, NicDB said:

I remember the Kohl's jingle! I was waiting for ♫ Ernie Von Schledorn, Main Street in Menomonee Falls ♫ (who do you know wants to buy a car from a Nazi?), but was left wanting.

The stoic guy at the Brewers game, clapping at the 5:50 mark, that guy is the spirit of Wisconsin right there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

I remember the Kohl's jingle! I was waiting for ♫ Ernie Von Schledorn, Main Street in Menomonee Falls ♫ (who do you know wants to buy a car from a Nazi?), but was left wanting.

EvS's nazi war criminal past was always one of the worst kept local secrets. Up there with Herb Kohl being gay, and the Balistreri family making their money running booze for Al Capone.

The stoic guy at the Brewers game, clapping at the 5:50 mark, that guy is the spirit of Wisconsin right there.

I don't know about that. If anything, he's the guy who went sober 20 years ago and now resents anyone having the least bit of fun.

All Wisconsinposting on this board inevitably resolves to "yeah I know who you're talking about, he got in a fight with my friend outside Alpine Valley in 2003" or something, it's honestly one of my favorite things.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hated to leave: "Is there a Hub tag on your car?" on the cutting room floor.

Archived