National Teams Soccer Kits 2020

UnclearInitial

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/12/2020 at 9:08 PM, MJWalker45 said:

These kits are on a two year cycle so no real impact.

Most of the time, international kits are two year cycles, but I can think of several off the top of my head that are one year only, sometimes released for a special anniversary or introduced as third kits but really just replace the secondary. I’ll post some examples below, but all of this to say that it’ll be very interesting to see whether manufacturers change their release plans or have something else in the pipeline for 2021. There’s also the possibility that a team could change supplier between now and 2021.

———

The USA in particular has had many: 2011 red sash (replaced the 2010 blue sash), 2013 centennial (replaced the 2012 Waldo), 2015 blue gradient (replaced the 2014 bomb pop), 2017 red (replaced the 2016 black with red and blue sleeves), 2019 red (replaced the 2018 navy blue with royal stripes).

Germany had a special 2017 kit with a faint chevron pattern (replaced their 2016 Euro design).

Spain went through a stretch of introducing new shirts almost every year. They had the Confederations Cup design in 2009 with the gold and navy abstract stripes on one side, following by the 2010 winners design, introduced a commemorative champions kit the next year with royal blue under arm accents, followed by the plain 2012 Euro kit, a new 2013 Confederations Cup design with a yellow V shape, and a new 2014 WC kit.

Italy had a special light blue shirt with brown shorts for the 2009 Confederations Cup with separate designs for the 2008 Euros and 2010 WC.

England introduced a navy blue strip in 2017 which replaced the 2016 red design.

Brazil had their special white kit last year at the Copa America (can’t recall if it was in addition to the yellow and blue kits or if it replaced one of them).

1 hour ago, aawagner011 said:

Most of the time, international kits are two year cycles, but I can think of several off the top of my head that are one year only, sometimes released for a special anniversary or introduced as third kits but really just replace the secondary. I’ll post some examples below, but all of this to say that it’ll be very interesting to see whether manufacturers change their release plans or have something else in the pipeline for 2021. There’s also the possibility that a team could change supplier between now and 2021.

———

The USA in particular has had many: 2011 red sash (replaced the 2010 blue sash), 2013 centennial (replaced the 2012 Waldo), 2015 blue gradient (replaced the 2014 bomb pop), 2017 red (replaced the 2016 black with red and blue sleeves), 2019 red (replaced the 2018 navy blue with royal stripes).

Germany had a special 2017 kit with a faint chevron pattern (replaced their 2016 Euro design).

Spain went through a stretch of introducing new shirts almost every year. They had the Confederations Cup design in 2009 with the gold and navy abstract stripes on one side, following by the 2010 winners design, introduced a commemorative champions kit the next year with royal blue under arm accents, followed by the plain 2012 Euro kit, a new 2013 Confederations Cup design with a yellow V shape, and a new 2014 WC kit.

Italy had a special light blue shirt with brown shorts for the 2009 Confederations Cup with separate designs for the 2008 Euros and 2010 WC.

England introduced a navy blue strip in 2017 which replaced the 2016 red design.

Brazil had their special white kit last year at the Copa America (can’t recall if it was in addition to the yellow and blue kits or if it replaced one of them).

For the most part, almost all national team kit's will be set for the 2 year cycle. Nike seems to want to roll out at least one new USA uniform for the Gold Cup now, so that red kit fit the bill even though it was the same uniform that the women were using for the World Cup, with the white jerseys being different. Brazil's white kit was only worn for the Copa America opener, their regular home and away colors were used the rest of the way. As far as Confederations Cup, all except for the USA had new uniforms I believe. There will almost always be exceptions to the 2 year rule, Italy even wore a third kit last year as well. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Italy go back to their Euro 2008 kits after Confederations Cup. Brazil white was a one-off kit for Copa America opening, later they only used yellow kit, but I guess if they need to wear different kit they would wear blue one.

4r2eer.png

• 1 month later...

I just came here to complain about how boring the US kits always are. Plain white isn’t cutting it for a brand that isn’t well established (the USWNT is, obviously, but their most memorable moment involved a player without a shirt on).

Vertical or horizontal (the Waldos) red/white stripes with blue shorts makes the most sense. Or at least a sash or single stripe. Nike usually does a great job with Army and Air Force’s football sets, so why can’t they get another patriotic look correct?

The blue blob away look is also trash. I think the US should actually follow the trend of club teams and wear a change kit with unusual colors — Nike would love this because they can roll out their trendy colors du jour. 

This shouldn’t be so hard. Flag-inspired home kit and a unique change kit. Nike just continues to miss the mark. I’m not buying a shirt again until they get it right.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, TenaciousG said:

I just came here to complain about how boring the US kits always are. Plain white isn’t cutting it for a brand that isn’t well established (the USWNT is, obviously, but their most memorable moment involved a player without a shirt on).

Vertical or horizontal (the Waldos) red/white stripes with blue shorts makes the most sense. Or at least a sash or single stripe. Nike usually does a great job with Army and Air Force’s football sets, so why can’t they get another patriotic look correct?

The blue blob away look is also trash. I think the US should actually follow the trend of club teams and wear a change kit with unusual colors — Nike would love this because they can roll out their trendy colors du jour. 

This shouldn’t be so hard. Flag-inspired home kit and a unique change kit. Nike just continues to miss the mark. I’m not buying a shirt again until they get it right.

Re: the change kits...

I've always thought that with other nations' teams having uniforms with distinctive colors that DO NOT match their flag colors (Netherlands' orange, Italy and Japan's blue, and Australia's national athletic colors of green and gold/yellow) the US should do the same and also be totally original:

Combine the red and blue from the flag and be the ONLY national team that wears PURPLE.

Or combine all three colors (red, white and blue) and wear a lighter purple; not necessarily lavender, but columbine.

Like the old Denver Rockets: 

71DfH8bePNL._AC_SY445_.jpg 28_6142A_lg.jpegEiY9IQxgIWvPAwxRqhWwg7_RjjfZTVRVdvwi1Bhq

It is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just picked up one of the new France kits, with the stripes, and it’s easily the most comfortable, natural feeling jersey I’ve owned as a fan. Much less of that plasticky polyester feeling than usual, even noticeably more comfy to wear than a WWC replica from last year.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, Digby said:

I just picked up one of the new France kits, with the stripes, and it’s easily the most comfortable, natural feeling jersey I’ve owned as a fan. Much less of that plasticky polyester feeling than usual, even noticeably more comfy to wear than a WWC replica from last year.

Did you get an authentic?

I have an authentic waldo kit and it honestly was not as comfortable to play in as i would've imagined. 

The new fabrics look like they'd be very comfortable and flexible. 

8 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Did you get an authentic?

I have an authentic waldo kit and it honestly was not as comfortable to play in as i would've imagined. 

The new fabrics look like they'd be very comfortable and flexible. 

I didn't, unless I did by accident, but the price suggests no. To my knowledge, I only have ever owned replicas, and I've never had one as comfortable as the perfect cotton t-shirt (I realize they're presumably better for wicking away sweat and whatever as a tradeoff).

24 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

I guess you bought fake jersey, because nike and FFF didn't officially released and start selling their new jerseys for Euro 2020*.

Oops! I thought it was an advance piece, anyway. Well, either the next batch of Nike jerseys or the fakes are the most comfortable to date. Detailwise it's pretty identical to other recent Nike jerseys I've bought, but the fit and material is smoother/less scratchy.

Archived