Sign in to follow this  
dfwabel

2019-20 NCAA Basketball thread

While the top 4 AP teams played each other tonight (Kansas/Duke and Kentucky/Sparty), I just started this to avoid having @buzzcut start another thread yet never come back to discuss it. 

EDIT: Randy Bennett and St. Mary's get as "good" win against a quickly falling Greg Gard Wisconsin team...For now.

Georgia Tech never leads in a game against NC State, ties it at the end to go to overtime, and wins in OT. 😁

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

Georgia Tech never leads in a game against NC State, ties it at the end to go to overtime, and wins in OT. 😁

Opening Night conference basketball games are much more unstable to watch than a Week 1 conference football game.

Almost feels like Michigan State always loses the Champions Classic to the other top programs (Kentucky, Kansas, Duke (mostly Duke)).

The first few weeks of college basketball season are my favorite, just because of the sheer number of "who?!?" D2/D3/NAIA/USCAA/NCCAA/WTF schools that mid-major and low-major D1 schools play, often with ridiculous scorelines. There are always a few upsets (Washington Adventist 71, Howard 68) as well, but the majority aren't:

UMBC 134, Valley Forge 46

New Hampshire 93, Curry College 29 (UNH led 53-8 at halftime)

Harvard 84, MIT 27 (over/under on the combined SAT score of the starting 10: 15,501)

Stetson 84, Trinity Baptist 26

Eastern Washington 107, Portland Bible 25

Things can get even crazier on the women's side.

North Alabama 128, Virginia University of Lynchburg 26

I'm not sure how I feel about this. VUL is barely on the NCAA's countable list and they're clearly in accreditation trouble. They have somewhere between 85 and 300 students. It's obvious that VUL is, currently, an athletics program with a school - but their athletics website doesn't work. UNA didn't play any starter more than 23 minutes, but they were clearly going for the 100+ point win (this also marked the 100th victory for the coach) as they scored 6 points in the final minute, including a jumper at (or close to) the buzzer.

On the other hand, why is VUL scheduling games against D1 opponents (other than the obvious, $$$ - but how much does a WBB team get to come to a school transitioning into D1? a few grand?) No one forced VUL to play UNA, so isn't the point to play your best until the buzzer sounds?

I can see both points, but I'm not sure where I stand.

It's a necessary evil for the small time programs to play D2/D3/NAIA type programs because, for the most part, it's how they get home games. Even looking at today's schedule, there's 18 games between a D-1 program and a lower level program. I can almost guarantee you that they're all going to be blowouts.

It's like if one of these smaller schools went to Kansas or Duke or Kentucky: The home crowds get to see their team whoop up on a weaker team and the small school gets paid for what is essentially a two hour public beating.

You do see upsets here and there though: You already mentioned NAIA program Washington Adventist taking down Howard... D2 Davenport (which is outside of Grand Rapids, MI) went out to Grand Canyon and beat them and on the women's side, NAIA Mid-American Christian stunned North Texas. The funny part? Most of these games for the lower level schools treat it as an exhibition game.

I wasn't really aware how far up the basketball food chain those games go, but even schools like San Diego State or UNLV have them on their schedule.

My alma mater has TWO of them on their schedule and have had two for the past few years, which is weird because our first few years at the D1 level we had none. In our first D1 year we didn't play a home game until January 5th.

4 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

It's a necessary evil for the small time programs to play D2/D3/NAIA type programs because, for the most part, it's how they get home games. Even looking at today's schedule, there's 18 games between a D-1 program and a lower level program. I can almost guarantee you that they're all going to be blowouts.

It's like if one of these smaller schools went to Kansas or Duke or Kentucky: The home crowds get to see their team whoop up on a weaker team and the small school gets paid for what is essentially a two hour public beating.

I'm aware of how scheduling for mid/low D1 teams works. D2s and D3s are often necessary to fill out a schedule.

I'm not talking about teams scheduling legitimate D2/D3/NAIA programs. VUL is barely a functioning school.

Just now, sc49erfan15 said:

I'm aware of how scheduling for mid/low D1 teams works. D2s and D3s are often necessary to fill out a schedule.

I'm not talking about teams scheduling legitimate D2/D3/NAIA programs. VUL is barely a functioning school.

The same rules apply there. Virginia-Lynchburg does this for football as well. They need the money since (according to the Wikipedia article for the school) they cannot join either the NCAA or the NAIA because of the lack of accreditation right now.

Utah-143

Miss Valley St-49

Matt Norlander

The 94-point differential is absurd when you really think about it. There will be so many teams -- maybe even more than 100 -- that fail to even score 94 themselves in a game this season, let alone come close to winning by that much.  

If you're curious on the all-time record for margin of victory, well it's one that will never be broken: In the 1917-18 season, Georgia beat Southeastern Christian by 120 points (122-2!). 

The Utes had nine players in double figures, including all its starters. The leading scorer: Timmy Allen with 26 on 9-of-11 shooting. The Utes were 50% from 3 (17 for 34) and were a dreamy 40 for 56 from 2-point range. That's 71.4%. Rebound margin is an overrated and outdated stat, but when you win the battle on the boards 68-28, the dominance is obvious. That's what Utah did to the Delta Devils, who alas rated as the worst team in college basketball heading into the season in my 1-353 rankings

Down goes Kentucky! They lose to 25-point underdog Evansville. 🤣