Sign in to follow this  
dfwabel

2019-20 NCAA Basketball thread

Congrats to Utah State and Belmont, the first two bids given out. Three more bids are up for grabs today.

Big South

#5 Hampton at #2 Winthrop

Records

HAMP: 15-18 (8-10)

WIN: 23-10 (15-3)

Championship Week is all about stories. The story here is about the young gun taking on the old master. The young gun role is played by Hampton. The Pirates, in their second season in the Big South after being in the MEAC for years, have broken through and thanks to an upset of top seed Radford, they have a chance to take the auto bid. Standing in the way is the old master in Winthrop. The Eagles are back after missing out last season and they have 11 conference titles to their name. Can Hampton break through or do the Eagles return to their roost?

Missouri Valley - St. Louis, MO

#7 Valparaiso vs. #4 Bradley

Records

VALPO: 18-15 (9-9)

BRAD: 21-11 (11-7)

You want chaos? Then step right up to Arch Madness. In the 30th anniversary of the event, chaos has reigned supreme. The top three seeds (Northern Iowa, Loyola of Chicago and Indiana State) all went down in the quarterfinals, leading to a championship game between defending champion Bradley and Valparaiso, the first team in the tournament's history to win three games in three days. Do the Crusaders have enough energy for a win or does Bradley repeat in the Valley?

Atlantic Sun

#3 Lipscomb at #1 Liberty

Records

LIP: 16-15 (9-7)

LIB: 29-4 (13-3)

The Atlantic Sun has been all about Liberty this season. Not content with last season's performance, which included a win in the NCAA Tournament, the Flames came out roaring to an nearly unbeaten non-conference season and despite a few mistakes in conference play, they're the top seed. Still, there is one team that sticks in their proverbial craw: Lipscomb. The Bisons stunned the Flames in the season finale out in Nashville. This game is in Lynchburg, where the Flames won. Do we see another Bison stunner or does Liberty reign supreme?

Congrats to the winners. There's one bid today.

Southern - Asheville, NC

#7 Wofford vs. #1 East Tennessee State

Records

WOF: 18-15 (8-10)

ETSU: 29-4 (16-2)

For the second year in a row, the Southern was very top heavy with ETSU, Furman and UNC Greensboro all sporting 20+ win seasons. The Bucs, though, have a profile that has put them in the conversation for an at-large bid, a rarity for this conference. They were hoping to boost that potential at-large bid, but Wofford (and Chattanooga) threw monkey wrenches into those plans with upsets of Furman and UNC Greensboro in the quarterfinals. The Terriers would then hold off the Mocs in the semis to get here. Does Wofford have one more upset in the cards or does ETSU end the talk about a potential at-large bid with the automatic bid?

Now that Winthrop's in, instead of being productive, I've spent my entire day:

-creating a spreadsheet of conference tournaments/teams and NET/Pomeroy rankings, to sort out which teams/conferences I should cheer for upsets in... so those teams can gobble up the lower seeds and push Winthrop to a 15 (14?).

-looking up flights to all the 16/15/14 seed cities

I might have a problem.

Congrats to ETSU on getting the automatic bid and taking themselves off the bubble. Five bids are up for grabs today.

Horizon - Indianapolis, IN

#4 Illinois-Chicago vs. #2 Northern Kentucky

Records

UIC: 18-16 (10-8)

NKU: 22-9 (13-5)

Northern Kentucky has made themselves a nice little home in the Horizon with three trips to the title game in the last four seasons, winning twice. Their opponent, the Flames from UIC, haven't been in a title game since 2004. The Flames upset top seed Wright State to get here. Do the Norse continue their dominance of the league or can the Flames have a breakthrough moment?

Northeast

#2 St. Francis (PA) at #1 Robert Morris

Records

SFU: 22-9 (13-5)

RMU: 19-14 (13-5)

It's been a weird season in the NEC as newcomer Merrimack won the conference title, but thanks to the transition process, they are ineligible for the conference tournament and the NCAA tournament (and even the NIT). Instead of the new blood, we get the Red Flash, trying to break through in their third trip in four seasons, and the Colonials, back to this game after a five year hiatus. The two met in the season finale with Robert Morris winning that game. Who will take home the rubber match?

Colonial - Washington, DC

#6 Northeastern vs. #1 Hofstra

Records

NE: 17-15 (9-9)

HOF: 25-8 (14-4)

In a rematch of last season's title game, the Pride and the Huskies meet again. Last year, it was Northeastern who took down top seeded Hofstra to take the automatic bid. Some elements are the same: The Pride are the number one seed yet again. But, some things are different: The Huskies are the sixth seed after taking down Towson and then holding off equally as upset minded Elon in the semifinals. Can the Huskies repeat as champions or can the Pride finally break through?

West Coast - Las Vegas, NV

#3 St. Mary's vs. #1 Gonzaga

Records

SMC: 26-7 (11-5)

GON: 30-2 (15-1)

As much as I loathe the Bulldogs for being bullies, you cannot understate their 23 year title game streak. It's impressive on every level. Their opponent is one that seems to be the one team that can step up to them: St. Mary's. The Gaels will make their 11th trip during this streak, winning three times in the process (including last season). Who takes home the conference title in this tale of schools eternally retold?

Summit - Sioux Falls, SD

#6 North Dakota vs. #1 North Dakota State

Records

UND: 15-17 (7-9)

NDSU: 24-8 (13-3)

It's the battle for North Dakota in the finals of the Summit League tournament as the Fighting Hawks take on the rival Bison. NDSU, not content with ruling the football field, is the defending conference champions and has proven their worth with two close games (especially in the opener against 8th seed Denver). Meanwhile, the Fighting Hawks took advantage of the chaos in the bottom half of the bracket when they upset South Dakota and then gave Purdue Fort Wayne the boot in the semifinals. The Hawks also took the last meeting between these two teams... which can mean one thing: Rubber match!

Congrats to everyone who won and Gonzaga can kiss my big white butt. One bid up for grabs today.

Patriot

#3 Boston University at #1 Colgate

Records

BU: 20-13 (12-6)

COL: 25-8 (14-4)

It's always hard to beat a team three times in a season, which is the goal for Colgate as they take on Boston U. in the finals. The Raiders took down the Terriers in both games in the regular season. Colgate has breezed through their portion of the conference tournament while Boston took advantage of the #2 seed (American) getting upset by Bucknell to get an easier foe in the semifinals. Can the Terriers finally beat their nemesis or do we have another Colgate sighting in March?

Right about now, I'd be welcoming the 2020 NCAA champion Winthrop Eagles back to the Coliseum. 😥

This sucks. Last weekend was supposed to be Final Four weekend... god, I miss sports. :(

On 4/8/2020 at 12:11 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

Right about now, I'd be welcoming the 2020 NCAA champion Winthrop Eagles back to the Coliseum. 😥

I wish I could have made this joke but my stupid team had already lost in the conference tournament.

17 minutes ago, dont care said:

Are they high?

They also want a conference only season

1 minute ago, MJWalker45 said:

They also want a conference only season

So... they don’t want to play the other conferences, except in the tournament where they’ll be playing 300+ teams from around the country, all taking up space in bubbles? This makes no sense. 

37 minutes ago, dont care said:

So... they don’t want to play the other conferences, except in the tournament where they’ll be playing 300+ teams from around the country, all taking up space in bubbles? This makes no sense. 

If all of the ACC teams get in, the ACC will get more money.

5 hours ago, JayMac said:

A completely bats**t crazy idea but I'd love to see at least a simulation of this idea.

Indiana used to do this with all of it's high schools before they broke them up into divisions in the 2000's. How many schools would that have involved? I'm guessing more than 346 but I'm not certain. Ohio is putting all of the high school football teams into the playoffs this year so that should give you an idea of how that would work as well.