Dilbert

Possible New New York Red Bulls logo?

Recommended Posts

Doubling down on "New York".  Interesting.

 

Too bad they haven't doubled down on actually building soccer culture here.  Too bad they've ceded the city in all but name.  Too bad they haven't been willing to do the hard work.

 

But if they want to keep trading on our name from across the river, this is about as good a way to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect this just a secondary, so I won't get too passionate about this one. I like the shield shape of the entire thing, but it needs an outline to make that more explicit. And I like that it downplays the whole "energy drink marketing concern" aspect of the team, though the bull logo and the letters don't really go together in this application.

 

Also surprised they'd make an official logo that's so easily vandalized into an "NJ". Think of the banter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Doubling down on "New York".  Interesting.

 

Too bad they haven't doubled down on actually building soccer culture here.  Too bad they've ceded the city in all but name.  Too bad they haven't been willing to do the hard work.

 

But if they want to keep trading on our name from across the river, this is about as good a way to do it.

Lol. Representing the city that is < 10 miles away from their stadium. Totally unheard of huh? It's not like the Jets, Giants, or any other team in this country does that. They built their stadium in NJ because it wasn't possible to build an actual soccer stadium in NYC limits...as you now see. The idea that a 25 year old franchise is stealing anything from a 5 year old franchise is hilarious.

 

Anyway, I like the logo. Rumors that their next home kit is black with red trim to honor the Metrostars look. So it will be interesting to see where they go with the branding from here on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Lol. Representing the city that is < 10 miles away from their stadium. Totally unheard of huh? It's not like the Jets, Giants, or any other team in this country does that. They built their stadium in NJ because it wasn't possible to build an actual soccer stadium in NYC limits...as you now see. The idea that a 25 year old franchise is stealing anything from a 5 year old franchise is hilarious.

 

And yet they've totally abandoned NYC.  They built one mini-pitch in 2015 before pulling back and building the rest in Hoboken and Newark.  They stopped advertising in NYC and on the MTA.  They don't work with youth soccer in Brooklyn anymore.

 

It's not that they play in New Jersey.  As you state, plenty of NYC teams do that.  It's that Red Bull has stopped even pretending to reach out to the city. Maybe this logo is a sign that they'll change and make a fight of it.  I really hope so. I wish they would, so my own club doesn't get complacent.  I want Red Bull to contest the city, drive both clubs to build more soccer infrastructure and culture in the city.  But instead they've just given up and ceded it.

 

Hell, NYCFC has more official supporters bars in New Jersey than the Red Bulls do in New York.  😛 

 

Quote

Anyway, I like the logo. Rumors that their next home kit is black with red trim to honor the Metrostars look. So it will be interesting to see where they go with the branding from here on.

 

Red with black would be very interesting.  There's a lot they can do with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

 

And yet they've totally abandoned NYC.  They built one mini-pitch in 2015 before pulling back and building the rest in Hoboken and Newark.  They stopped advertising in NYC and on the MTA.  They don't work with youth soccer in Brooklyn anymore.

 

It's not that they play in New Jersey.  As you state, plenty of NYC teams do that.  It's that Red Bull has stopped even pretending to reach out to the city.  I wish they would, so my own club doesn't get complacent.  I want Red Bull to contest the city, drive both clubs to build more soccer infrastructure and culture in the city.  But instead they've just given up and ceded it.

 

Well that is true. The Red Bulls do basically 0 marketing, especially in the city. They do every now and then, but not nearly as much as they should. Would like to see them market more in lower Manhattan, as the PATH train from World Trade Center (will re-open in late 2020) is only a 20 min ride to the Arena.

 

Going to Red/Black look would be smart IMO. 10 years ago, all the Red Bull franchises looked basically identical in logo and uniform. Lately, each of the clubs has been getting more unique. (NY in red, Leipzig in white, and Salzburg in stripes)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Doubling down on "New York".  Interesting.

 

Too bad they haven't doubled down on actually building soccer culture here.  Too bad they've ceded the city in all but name.  Too bad they haven't been willing to do the hard work.

 

But if they want to keep trading on our name from across the river, this is about as good a way to do it.

And it will be so easy to make that 'Y' a 'J'. They should just become a North Jersey team, considering hardly anyone cares about them north and east of the Hudson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish Red Bull would sell and the club could get a complete rebranding. Why would they though when their foul tasting product is everywhere.

 

Yeah it's a dumb name but:

New Jersey Metro FC 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About half of the Red Bulls fan base is from NY. Including people who supported the only local soccer team in the area for some 20 years. They will not, and should not get rid of "NY".  It is possible they made the Y in the logo double as a J like that on purpose to recognize that fact. Would actually be kind of clever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Doubling down on "New York".  Interesting.

 

Too bad they haven't doubled down on actually building soccer culture here.  Too bad they've ceded the city in all but name.  Too bad they haven't been willing to do the hard work.

 

But if they want to keep trading on our name from across the river, this is about as good a way to do it.

 

I've long thought they should embrace being a Newark/New Jersey team and put "Metro" back in their brand. Who actually wants to root for a team named after an energy drink?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a name with New York has more value than a name with New Jersey. Red Bull is not going to give that value away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

About half of the Red Bulls fan base is from NY.

 

[Citation needed] ;) 

 

I actually doubt that to be true, considering they haven't felt the need to hold events in NYC, build mini-pitches in New York City, or have more than one Pub Partner in New York City for the last couple years.  And even that is the Football Factory, "Generic Football Pub #114" and home to a few dozen supporters groups from clubs all over the world.

 

Unless you mean Orange and Sullivan Counties in NY?  😛 

 

54 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

Including people who supported the only local soccer team in the area for some 20 years. They will not, and should not get rid of "NY".  It is possible they made the Y in the logo double as a J like that on purpose to recognize that fact. Would actually be kind of clever.

 

That would be clever, a reference back to the old "New York/New Jersey" days, but I don't think it was the intention at all.  Any resemblance is purely coincidental.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it's more prevalent in soccer because many clubs hold onto badges that are decades old and come from hand-drawn eras, but logos with large, bold items combined with small, detailed items both me. I prefer everything to feel to the same scale. I don't mind detailed logos -- for example, I'm a Newcastle fan and adore theirs, even though it's not very embroider friendly -- but with this NY configured with the regular Red Bulls logo on top, it just feels like two completely unrelated items combined together. Logos that are well designed in unison can have multiple items, as long as they feel the same scale ... but because the NY is bold and the logo above is detailed with skinny strokes, it feels off. Not my favorite. Their current logo has more scale consistency than this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

But if they want to keep trading on our name from across the river, this is about as good a way to do it.

NYCFC do not own a monopoly on the New York market. Nor should they. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

NYCFC do not own a monopoly on the New York market. Nor should they. 

 

They shouldn't, but in practice they do.  And that's on the Red Bulls for not really trying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

 

They shouldn't, but in practice they do.  And that's on the Red Bulls for not really trying.

Look. NYCFC isn't exactly a shining city on a hill. So if the Red Bulls want to emphasize their New York connections? Which they are able to as one of two NY metro area teams? Go for it, I say. Yeah, they're owned by an energy drink and named after said drink, and they play in New Jersey. It's silly but harmless. 

I prefer it to the alternative. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

NYCFC isn't exactly a shining city on a hill.

 

Never said they were.  But the fact remains that there are two NYC metro area clubs, and only one of them advertises in the city, has outreach in the city, works with the city government, and builds community facilities in the city.

 

I wish Red Bull did more than use our name for its advertising.  But they don't.  As advertising, though, this logo isn't bad at all.  :P 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.