Possible New New York Red Bulls logo?

Dilbert

4 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Never said they were. 

Well perhaps New York deserves better 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They should really just go back to Metro Stars...

You realize that was just as much of a corporate name as Red Bulls is, right?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NicDB said:

I've long thought they should embrace being a Newark/New Jersey team and put "Metro" back in their brand. Who actually wants to root for a team named after an energy drink?

People in the NY area who...

- Wanted to support the only local team from 1996 - 2015

- Enjoy watching soccer at a proper soccer stadium

- Want to support team that develops a lot of local talent /has local players

Is the name perfect? No. But that's not the only variable / reason why someone roots for a club.

Red Bull may not market themselves in New York, but maybe they aren't motivated to do so. They are a global conglomerate that has bought clubs and invested in other non-beverage entities to diversify themselves and provide a buffer if there is a shift in the energy drink market or public perception. That's smart. Meanwhile their investment has grown in value mostly due to the work of others. Since Red Bull has bought the club they have moved into a nice stadium, fielded a competitive club, and their attendance is in the middle of the pack. That might be enough to cover the operating expenses, and since Red Bull is privately held they don't have shareholders to answer to for profits. It is a unique setup in the American professional sports landscape. 

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Who actually wants to root for a team named after an energy drink?

I would root for a team named after an energy drink over a team who, at best, ignores or, at worst, enables white supremacists in their fanbase and who is owned by corporations with ties to two authoritarian regimes in the form of the UAE and PRC. 

That's just me though. 

28 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Red Bull may not market themselves in New York, but maybe they aren't motivated to do so. They are a global conglomerate that has bought clubs and invested in other non-beverage entities to diversify themselves and provide a buffer if there is a shift in the energy drink market or public perception. That's smart. Meanwhile their investment has grown in value mostly due to the work of others. Since Red Bull has bought the club they have moved into a nice stadium, fielded a competitive club, and their attendance is in the middle of the pack. That might be enough to cover the operating expenses, and since Red Bull is privately held they don't have shareholders to answer to for profits. It is a unique setup in the American professional sports landscape. 

You may be right, but I'd hate being associated with any company in which "good enough" is an accepted standard. 

5 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Yeah but "New York Metro Stars" fits the concept of a NY/NJ metro area team better than Red Bulls.

🤷‍♂️ People wanted more "Euro" names in MLS. Red Bull, for better or worse, qualities. 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

You may be right, but I'd hate being associated with any company in which "good enough" is an accepted standard. 

See above. I rather be associated with Red Bull's parent company than the controlling interests in their cross-town rivals.

1 minute ago, Ice_Cap said:

🤷‍♂️ People wanted more "Euro" names in MLS. Red Bull, for better or worse, qualities. 

See above. I rather be associated with Red Bull's parent company than the controlling interests in their cross-town rivals.

Fair enough. And I don't disagree. But the point stands: I prefer owners of a club that won't settle for mediocrity. 

1 minute ago, gosioux76 said:

Fair enough. And I don't disagree. But the point stands: I prefer owners of a club that won't settle for mediocrity. 

Well (in the interests of sticking to sports :P ) Red Bull has a 9-5 advantage over NYCFC. So it seems like they're not conceding with "good enough" on the pitch, where it matters ;) 

4 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

But the team has been successful. They’ve won Supporter Shields and made the playoffs consistently. I think we associate teams with being part of the community, but perhaps that’s not a priority to an Austrian based owner.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I would root for a team named after an energy drink over a team who, at best, ignores or, at worst, enables white supremacists in their fanbase and who is owned by corporations with ties to two authoritarian regimes in the form of the UAE and PRC. 

That's just me though. 

WHO MOD EDITS THE MOD EDIT???

1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

But the team has been successful. They’ve won Supporter Shields and made the playoffs consistently. I think we associate teams with being part of the community, but perhaps that’s not a priority to an Austrian based owner.

I mean I can't stand either of the teams, but I don't understand that line of banter, yeah. RBNY have had bad playoff luck and the corporate-billboard brand is atrocious... but otherwise have been a pretty well-run team since the rebranding. And their stadium is in New Jersey but at least it's the correct shape.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 minutes ago, Digby said:

WHO MOD EDITS THE MOD EDIT???

LITZHEC.gif

In all seriousness? It wasn't my intention to get into the nitty-gritty of NYCFC's ownership. I was content to leave it at "New York deserves better."
People wanted to make the Red Bulls' corporate overlords an issue though, so I thought it was only fair to put the foibles of Red Bull GmbH in context with the foibles of City Football Group.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

You realize that was just as much of a corporate name as Red Bulls is, right?

"Just as much" is a reach.  The name was partially inspired by Metromedia, but the MetroStars othewise had a totally separate brand from them.  Probably no one who didn't have a background in media even knew the connection.  It was nothing at all like NYRB whose visual identity is completely entrenched in Red Bull's.

1 minute ago, NicDB said:

"Just as much" is a reach.  The name was partially inspired by Metromedia, but the MetroStars othewise had a totally separate brand from them.  Nothing at all like NYRB whose visual identity is completely entrenched in Red Bull's.

Also the Metromedia brand is more like a trivia footnote than a globally-recognized thing as Red Bull is. The bigger problem with "MetroStars" is that it was a bad name.

In general though it would be nice if the New York market had managed to develop its own thing. Everyone agrees on the importance of New York to MLS, it's a shame the league sold both of its teams there out to be marketing cogs in some larger global machines. Los Angeles has two of the top brands in the league, New York got stuck with an energy drink billboard and an image-laundering franchise. To think I used to whine about the Revs jerseys looking too much like the Patriots!

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

but otherwise have been a pretty well-run team since the rebranding.

That's part of what gets me about this NYCFC/Red Bulls back and forth, in a way that does Stick to Sports(tm).

There seems to be this perception that the Red Bulls are nothing but a corporate billboard out in New Jersey while NYCFC is the Real Team With Real Fans and Also Scarves.

When you actually look at it though? The Red Bulls seem to be the more successful of the two, even if you just limited it to the years where the two clubs have co-existed. @Gothamite mentioned that he wishes the Red Bulls would fight for New York City-proper harder because he doesn't want NYCFC get stagnant, but that's ultimately just marketing and culture. Neither of which win you games, shields, or championships. The Red Bulls seem to be doing very well holding up their end of the fight with NYCFC in terms of on-field performance and front office management.

2 minutes ago, NicDB said:

"Just as much" is a reach.  The name was partially inspired by Metromedia, but the MetroStars othewise had a totally separate brand from them.  Nothing at all like NYRB whose visual identity is completely entrenched in Red Bull's.

Ultimately it was a name meant to tie in with a corporate brand. The idea that Red Bull came in and stripped away this wonderfully unique thing is a fallacy.

And as I said before? There was a push for more international-style names in MLS. One I supported, and still supported. I believe that, yes, the top flight league in North America should absolutely look to fit in with the top clubs elsewhere. As Gothamite has pointed out on a number of occasions? Manchester United chose the name specifically because it sounded soccer-y. So there's no shame in newer clubs following the same logic.

The trade-off, however, is that there will be some clubs that go corporate with their names. The New York Red Bulls wasn't a name that came out of nowhere, after all.

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

In general though it would be nice if the New York market had managed to develop its own thing. Everyone agrees on the importance of New York to MLS, it's a shame the league sold both of its teams there out to be marketing cogs in some larger global machines. Los Angeles has two of the top brands in the league, New York got stuck with an energy drink billboard and an image-laundering franchise. To think I used to whine about the Revs jerseys looking too much like the Patriots!

I think the Cosmos could have been that, but unfortunately the name fell into the hands of some dolts who didn't know what they were doing. It's probably a tarnished brand at this point.

I'm not sure I want to see it now. I'm over all the NASL fetishizing. They failed. MLS is still going strong.

I just looked up the location of Red Bull Arena and...yeesh! I guess if that's the only spot that was available at the time they did what they had to do--but what a place to stick that, right in the middle of an industrial zone on the bank of the Passaic. That's got to be fun to drive to/get out of, I'm sure. (About as much fun as it was to get to what used to be known as PPL Park in Chester for the Union games back in 2010, I bet--which is to say, it wasn't.)

Anyway, for my two cents' worth of an opinion...I may be one of the few people on planet Earth who actually liked the Metrostars name. It was quirky, kinda goofy--but still unique and, in somewhat of a stark contrast to the NYC area (and most of the northeast from my experience), didn't take itself too seriously. Then again I guess I and some others still have a certain fondness for the early days of MLS (which may also be part of the reason I keep seeing a contingent of people clamor for the Wizards name to return to KC...but I digress).

Granted, I ain't a yankee and don't claim to be, but if what's said here is true, and if I were MLS czar (which I'm not), I'd personally like to see NYRB a/ join the ranks of the Nets and Devils and outright claim Jersey and b/ revive the Metrostars name under a new brand umbrella. I mean, being right outside of Newark, the ["Metro" part of the] name makes sense, to me anyway. But again, that's just me...feel free to skip on past this if you wish. 😁

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just now, Ice_Cap said:

I think the Cosmos could have been that, but unfortunately the name fell into the hands of some dolts who didn't know what they were doing. It's probably a tarnished brand at this point.

I'm not sure I want to see it now. I'm over all the NASL fetishizing. They failed. MLS is still going strong.

Agreed on both counts; the Cosmos got ruined and the NASL well, while I'm glad the teams that did it well did it, has probably run dry. Still, something new and original to latch onto would've been nice, I think.

Archived