Gateway City FC: St Louis x MLS

mattr1198

Hi all,

I'm in the need of some opinions on my brand concept I created for the MLS's St Louis expansion team: name, colors, and logo.

Here's some of my reasoning/little tidbits about the design:

• The blue is directly pulled from the St Louis city flag. So is the Fleur de Lis and the design of the river under the arch.
  • The green is from the USL club, St Louis FC
  • The name, Gateway City FC, is meant to differentiate from all the redundant "City name followed by FC/United" trend going on in the MLS
  • The horses rearing on the side of the roundel are Clydesdales

spacer.png

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

Good start! The colours work, although they are rather close to Seattle. I'd encourage you to explore other color schemes, like the ones from the city's flag.

However, I really feel like the Clydesdales are getting lost on the side. They are magnificent creatures. What I'd like to suggest is to maybe turn this logo into a coat of arms, much like in English football and have the horses beside the crest on each side and have one hoof on the crest to protect it.

VHj90kn.png

14 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Good start, but i think "City" is totally unnecessary here.

Gateway FC is perfectly unique and distinctive on its own. There are already several "City" teams.

I was going to say that myself, “Gateway City” is a mouthful and sounds a bit corny.

A solid concept as-is. The Arch + city flag wave combo works very well in the roundel. The Gateway City FC name is better than most recent MLS names, though I'd be partial to "Gateway St. Louis."

That said, the logo might benefit from a few tweaks.

The horse is an awesome idea, and too detailed to be so small anyway, so I think that should be a bigger focus. Put the fleur-de-lys on the sides, and a horse under the arch!

The blue section of the roundel is way too thin proportionally. You should make that wider and the text bigger.

Also, I agree with @Axe, the colors are quite close to the Sounders. I'm really on board with the city flag colors suggestion, but if you want to keep the STLFC green, you could darken the blue and green and/or add another color. I could imagine green with silver trim working well!

Very strong start. I’d change the Clydesdales to the St Louis statue on the sides though and make that stripe bigger to showcase them a little bit.  I think I agree with a couple other people in this thread though, that Gateway FC or Gateway City are better names. They seem to flow better. The grey seems a little off too, I’d either figure out a way to use it more or take it out completely.

Like I said though, very strong start, there’s a lot to like about this crest.

I agree with @vtgco on fluers and horse to be swap places. Colors as well needed to be better. Not that it is a bad start. But good draft work really. 

My only concern is that the wordings is too small to look at. So my suggestion for the middle circle with Arch/wave/horse to be shrink down abit then enlarge the wordings same as fluers on sides to be enlarged. I think it will make it looks alot better. Maybe put in shadings as well on fluers

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

Based on your suggestions of a heraldic crest, I now created this:

I incorporated mostly similar elements to the other logo in a much different way. The major addition is the crown, adorned with a Fleur De Lis, making it a simplified crown of Louis XIV, whose statue sits outside the St Louis Art Museum and is, obviously, the city's namesake.

spacer.png

I also made a set of uniforms, dark and light:

spacer.png

spacer.png

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

Am I the only one who thinks these particular shades of blue and green don’t look that great together? At least without a little white to separate them? I know it’s from the flag, but I feel like the blue could stand to be a little lighter. As for the crest, aside from Whittier's comment about the horses, I’m okay with everything else.

What program are you using? The arch looks fuzzy and the horses are all pixely, even though the crown is crisp.

I'd also like to vote for tweaking the colors, perhaps darkening the blue a bit and making the green more of an Oregon green?

tinysig.jpg

Archived