San Francisco Giants logo missing letters (W.I.P)

Chello

I'm designing an alphabet sheet using the letters that the San Francisco Giants uses. We all know the closest font to their respectful logo is the IFC Hardball with some editing of course. I own a jacket from their 1st world series 2010. What I love is the use of the letters so I decided to see what the rest of the letters would look like that haven't been used yet here:

spacer.png

The letter B is using the letter P as a base like in the jacket. 

The letter F is using the letter E as a base like in the jacket

The letters J, K, Q, U, Z  i'm assuming what it would look like. Any suggestions? For example I was thinking maybe the letter J should be a opposite letter L like in the jacket.

The letters V, X, Y i'm using the letter W as a base like in the jacket. 

5 hours ago, Whittier S said:

I feel like the end of the tail of the Q should be at an angle to be more distinct. Beyond that, this is excellent work.

Thank you so much for responce Whittier :) and thank you Atomic for fixing my post. I didn't want to post the image since it's a large file and didn't want to mess up the thread layout hehe. 

Yeah i'm not too happy with the letter Q. When adding the tail gets tricky. I'm basing this off the consistency and the pattern from the Giants letters...

Let's split some hairs: Using the letter O as the base to create the letter Q, do you think the tail is a straight, not slanted in between, with the hexagon head in the end? 

GRKUzob.png

I'm really liking it! You've managed to effectively reconstruct the font from a limited selection of letters.

My one suggestion would be to also look at Ocean Beach Major for potential stylistic alternatives and to refine the letters not based on ones from the jacket.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the super late response guys. Moving and job hunting is never fun. I appreciate the critiques. I'm still not sure about the letter Q. I wish I had a sample from the SF Giants to use as a reference. 

SFGiants58 I have seen your work from afar before joining this site. I love it. Especially the Tampa Bay Giants . I'll sent you a message regarding that. 

@packerfan21396 Very nice :). I tried that as well but the tail doesn't seem consistent with the way the Giants does their letters. And I know that's going against what @SFGiants58 mentioned about not basing the letters from the jacket. It's just that none have a tail "slanted" that way. I'll come out with a few concepts and see which ones are most fitting. 

3 hours ago, Chello said:

@packerfan21396 Very nice :). I tried that as well but the tail doesn't seem consistent with the way the Giants does their letters. And I know that's going against what @SFGiants58 mentioned about not basing the letters from the jacket. It's just that none have a tail "slanted" that way. I'll come out with a few concepts and see which ones are most fitting. 

Most Q's look like O's with accents as a tail, and serifs on the Q's tail are incredibly rare.  The extension of the font on your jacket seems to have similar serif placement to that of a Roman type (Times New Roman, Trajan, etc.), which leads me to suggesting an adaptation of the T's beak or creating your own tail that doesn't match anything.

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

• 7 months later...
On 1/30/2020 at 9:46 PM, packerfan21396 said:

Most Q's look like O's with accents as a tail, and serifs on the Q's tail are incredibly rare.  The extension of the font on your jacket seems to have similar serif placement to that of a Roman type (Times New Roman, Trajan, etc.), which leads me to suggesting an adaptation of the T's beak or creating your own tail that doesn't match anything.

spacer.png

Long overdue response and I hope all is well during this pandemic.

How about this? I'm basing this Q version from the way the O and C follow the same pattern as the G. I noticed that no other letter "bleeds out" so that's why the sarif remains the same height as the letter if that makes sense.

spacer.png

Archived