MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

Couple noteworthy things here. We’ve got a look at the now silver star for Atlanta. This also confirms the league patch is on the wearer’s left sleeve (we saw a sponsor on the right). Lastly, the adidas material has been relabeled as Aeroready, whereas last year’s was Climacool, despite the jersey looking identical.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, based on that all of a few square inches, SKC's kit has the potential to be pretty tight. If it's navy base with like a powder blue to silver gradiant polka dot deal, that would be pretty tight in theory.

Minny with the wing, or at least some form of that, sounds like it too will be tight. 

Of all the vague teases I've heard/seen, none of them *sound* outright bad. 

If the Revs really do go the retro full 90's tilt, I think that would be GLORIOUS. Then chuck the crest with a rebrand after the season. 25 years of the Crayola crest, ushering in a new era beyond. I think that sounds pretty good to me.

spacer.png

Saw this linked on MLS Reddit as the away kit for Union in 2020:

I can barely see it, the shirt sponsor is a brand under Bimbo?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 1/9/2020 at 11:54 AM, Gothamite said:

The (ugh) Mutiny were.

I see the occasional Mutiny banner or sticker or framed jersey around town at various bars, restaurants, etc...

It's more than I see of Rowdies gear on this side of the Bay.

12 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Man, that's arguably worse as a sponsor than Bimbo, at least visually.

Since they were able to make the Bimbo logo monochrome on their kits it actually looked pretty good.

This just looks like a cartoon.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I see the occasional Mutiny banner or sticker or framed jersey around town at various bars, restaurants, etc...

It's more than I see of Rowdies gear on this side of the Bay.

I guess that doesn’t surprise me. Major league sports will always trump the minors.

But the name was still dumb. 

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

This is indeed the new away shirt. I got an email for the reveal.

EEnPUwc.jpg

Few teaser images of the Galaxy primary:

Interesting that they used the replica version for the IG teaser images, and the authentic for the teaser on Twitter. I can’t really remember other examples of MLS clubs using the replica version in their teaser images (not that it really matters). In that first IG teaser image you can get a glimpse at what the pattern inside the sash looks like. I’ll be curious to see the full thing since we couldn’t really make out the details in the FIFA Mobile leak.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I'm not saying you need a bunch of panels and stiching for a jersey to look good, but I do miss when the MLS jerseys had a little more effort put into them:

beckham-galaxy_2403686k.jpg

SoundersUSOpenCup.jpg

russell-isabella-oct-22-2014-mls-chivas-

While not all of the MLS post-2018 is bad, Adidas is clearly leaning hard on sublimated patterns to do the heavy lifting on design for modern shirts. And when those patterns are just Adidas templates any high school in the world could choose, it all feels cheap. Like, "hey MLS nerds, we put your team's logo on a shirt and a slogan on the inside collar so give us $150."

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Nashville unveiled their primary kits today, earlier than the Feb 5th expected date for other clubs. Images show all gold which is disappointing, I hope that they use mainly blue shorts. Otherwise that’s two teams wearing all yellow, and Nashville’s yellow isn’t exactly eye pleasing.

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

Teaser for Columbus’ new secondary:

Looks like the pattern could be recycled from Russia’s WC away shirt, which would be pretty disappointing.

spacer.png

If Premier League clubs can't get "new" kits and get patterns (Leicester, Watford) that have been used elsewhere, then why in the world do we think/expect them to go super hard for MLS, where they make FAR less money on kit sales than anywhere else they create kits. 

I am really getting annoyed by this expectation/criticism. Mostly because I think it is overblown. 

You've seen perhaps 3, 4 square inches of what that kit will look like, and it sounds like you've already made up your mind based on what you said. 

What if the kit is actually dope? What if the pattern serves the kit well?

But regardless of whether or not that may end up being the case, you've already taken a negative view of something none of us have actually seen.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

If Premier League clubs can't get "new" kits and get patterns (Leicester, Watford) that have been used elsewhere, then why in the world do we think/expect them to go super hard for MLS, where they make FAR less money on kit sales than anywhere else they create kits. 

I am really getting annoyed by this expectation/criticism. Mostly because I think it is overblown. 

You've seen perhaps 3, 4 square inches of what that kit will look like, and it sounds like you've already made up your mind based on what you said. 

What if the kit is actually dope? What if the pattern serves the kit well?

But regardless of whether or not that may end up being the case, you've already taken a negative view of something none of us have actually seen.

For one thing, I just said it’d be disappointing if the kit featured that recycled pattern. Nowhere did I say the kit wouldn’t look good, as I’m sure it’ll look fine and be fairly inoffensive overall. It’ll still be nowhere near as good as it could’ve been had there been a bespoke design/pattern or at least one with actual relevance to the club (assuming it does end up having the pattern from the Russia away shirt).

To be clear, though, I’m not blaming Adidas here. Of course they’re not going to churn out fully custom designs, patterns, etc. for all 26 clubs if they don’t have to. If they present a concept to a club that features a recycled pattern and the club signs off on it, then that’s on the club for not pushing back and requesting a change. I’ve seen some people on different platforms and message boards say that the teams don’t really get much input anymore in regards to kit design, but some teams have proven in recent years that they can still get custom designs and be more involved in the process if they want to. Maybe a club really likes an idea that Adidas presents and they decide to go ahead with it, but if they want to push back they have the opportunity to do so. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Nashville unveiled their primary kits today, earlier than the Feb 5th expected date for other clubs. Images show all gold which is disappointing, I hope that they use mainly blue shorts. Otherwise that’s two teams wearing all yellow, and Nashville’s yellow isn’t exactly eye pleasing.

19 minutes ago, Digby said:

Someone in Nashville is trying to have it both ways with “electric” and “gold” and, welp, not quite.

Yeah...that. 

Somebody down there needs a LASIK appointment or two...that ain't anywhere close to gold, athletic or otherwise--actually I'm still not sure just exactly what that shade is supposed to be, but it looks half-green under certain lighting....

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, Buc said:

Somebody down there needs a LASIK appointment or two...that ain't anywhere close to gold, athletic or otherwise--actually I'm still not sure just exactly what that shade is supposed to be, but it looks half-green under certain lighting....

My wife called it "radioactive banana." Considering the green-ish tint, that description is kind of perfect as this thing ain't ripe.

Archived