WarriorFight

MLS Kits, 2020

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Bradbury said:

My wife called it "radioactive banana." Considering the green-ish tint, that description is kind of perfect as this thing ain't ripe.

 

That is just gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WBeltz said:

Nashville unveiled their primary kits today, earlier than the Feb 5th expected date for other clubs. Images show all gold which is disappointing, I hope that they use mainly blue shorts. Otherwise that’s two teams wearing all yellow, and Nashville’s yellow isn’t exactly eye pleasing.

 

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a mockup of what the full Miami Primary will likely look like:

spacer.png

The leaked replica version had a plain white collar and plain white cuffs, but the authentic version will likely have pink trim, just like how the authentic version of Nashville’s primary has navy trim on the collar and cuffs. They don’t have a sponsor yet, and it remains to be seen whether they’ll have one by the start of the season or not. Also, I’m still trying to replicate the letterforms of the new league-wide font, which is why there’s no name on this mockup. I hope to have that done soon, and I hope to have mockups of the Miami secondary and possibly Minnesota’s primary done here soon as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought on Miami...I wonder if they will encounter challenges that are market specific for getting a shirt sponsor.  I may be wrong.  But Marlins Park is 8 years old and still without a naming rights deal.  Joe Robbie Stadium has had numerous names and many of those were sponsor less (also Landshark which was a one year joke deal). Perhaps that market doesn’t have an appetite for major sponsorship deals. Maybe not though.  I would totally buy an Inter Miami kit with Pollo Tropical on the front.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Digby said:

It’s gonna look half-green under most lighting I think. At least Columbus doesn’t need to take it personally or worry about market confusion. Can’t imagine what kind of meetings approved THAT as a signature color.

 

Ugly tint or not, as a Crew fan this still feels like some very real encroachment. And from what I've seen, other Crew fans agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, you’ll have to accept that in a league this large there might be another club in a yellow shirt.  It’s like the Bruins fans who still get snippy about the Penguins’ color scheme.
 

Moreover, it’s what you do with the colors, and Nashville isn’t doing anything like what Columbus does.  Not to mention that this isn’t anywhere near the same color.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the Nashville shirt yellow and black, or yellow and that blue/purple color they have? I can't quite tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

Is the Nashville shirt yellow and black, or yellow and that blue/purple color they have? I can't quite tell.

 

It's radioactive banana (I'm going with that from here on) and whatever that half-blue indigio-ish color they have (blindigo?). I'll try to get an up close look at them next time I'm down there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

Just a thought on Miami...I wonder if they will encounter challenges that are market specific for getting a shirt sponsor.  I may be wrong.  But Marlins Park is 8 years old and still without a naming rights deal.  Joe Robbie Stadium has had numerous names and many of those were sponsor less (also Landshark which was a one year joke deal). Perhaps that market doesn’t have an appetite for major sponsorship deals. Maybe not though.  I would totally buy an Inter Miami kit with Pollo Tropical on the front.  


per David Ornstein this morning Beckham is in talk with Qatar over shirt and stadium naming rights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, you’ll have to accept that in a league this large there might be another club in a yellow shirt.  It’s like the Bruins fans who still get snippy about the Penguins’ color scheme.
 

Moreover, it’s what you do with the colors, and Nashville isn’t doing anything like what Columbus does.  Not to mention that this isn’t anywhere near the same color.

 

Yeah, we're at the point where there will be some level of duplication in shirt color schemes. Considering the single-manufacturer deal and everything else, MLS still does a pretty good job of that I think (assuming SKC and NYCFC have settled on who gets mostly navy trim and who gets mostly white trim).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think NYCFC’s splash of orange also helps there.  This really wouldn’t be confused for a KC shirt:

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m wondering when was the last time a professional league required its teams to have a unique color scheme. 
 

I know the NFL did in the 1940s.  To get around this, the Packers officially listed their colors as “navy, gold and green” to avoid a clash with the Los Angeles Rams’ navy and gold.  Even though Curly’s sweatshirt was the closest they got to actually wearing green. 😁
 

spacer.png
 

The NFL only had ten teams at that point, but even so they struggled a bit to create fully unique color schemes. We can’t expect a modern league not to have some duplications and overlaps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, sure there are a few duplications, but on the whole MLS has a pretty diverse aesthetic. 
 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no skin in the game but a Crew complaint over this feels like a child saying “you’re copying me”. 
 

Burnley, Villa, and West Ham all exist with the same basic template for a uniform.  I can’t see why two yellow teams is a big deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I mean, sure there are a few duplications, but on the whole MLS has a pretty diverse aesthetic. 
 

spacer.png

Will Sacramento be keeping their crest when they move up? If so that would be a great decision. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's going to be a real challenge for the St. Louis franchise to come up with something distinct, especially for a region that leans so heavily toward blue and red, thanks to the existing franchises. A red, blue, yellow combo would made sense, considering the colors of city's (fantastic) flag, but would hardly stand out in the league.  The navy and dark green of Saint Louis F.C. would be unique to MLS (and before you start, yes, I know the Sounders are blue and green, and no it's not the same) but MLS4TheLou appears pretty intent on distancing itself from the USL franchise. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Here’s a mockup of what the full Miami Primary will likely look like:

spacer.png


Sigh...

This represents such a missed opportunity on Inter Miami's part. They should have really owned pink in their primary kits. Pink jerseys, black shorts, black socks for evening matches and either a pink/white/white or pink/white/pink ensemble for day games. A white or black jersey could have been the centerpiece of their change kits. This... this just strikes me as "meh".

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cincy updated the background image on their website to this:

spacer.png

Last year many of their graphics included the stripe design that ended up being on their primary kit, so this definitely seems like an indication that they will indeed have a half and half design on their new primaries. Based on the “leak” we’ve seen (which was someone’s rough mockup), the teasers put out by FCC, and some info I’ve seen on twitter and reddit, I think the half and half design will likely be pretty subtle and will be made up of the two shades of blue at the bottom of that background image. The mockup included an orange collar and cuffs, but I think they’ll both be blue in actuality, at least based on this (poor quality) leaked image:

spacer.png
Seeing as you can spot the orange Adidas stripes in that image, I think we’d be able to spot an orange collar and/or cuffs as well, so I think it’s likely that those are blue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Digby said:

 

Yeah, we're at the point where there will be some level of duplication in shirt color schemes. Considering the single-manufacturer deal and everything else, MLS still does a pretty good job of that I think (assuming SKC and NYCFC have settled on who gets mostly navy trim and who gets mostly white trim).

 

Or in regards to SKC's current set, who gets to have bluish-grayish trim. God I hate SKC's current uniforms. The goofy "glitch" design sucks, the gray shorts suck, the road jersey being a boring black uniform sucks, it all sucks.

 

I really liked the look they had when they swapped from being the team with dark blue trim and to the white trim (while NYC did the opposite). Especially looking at it now, after staring at the drab set they have now, these are like a breath of fresh air.

 

3gALPtD.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.