MLS Kits, 2020

WarriorFight

3 minutes ago, hendocfc said:

Seems like Beckham wants every team he's the face of to look like Real Madrid. 

Screw what Beckham wants. The last thing that Inter Miami needs is to become a tribute to the wants, desires and image of David Beckham. The guy has been milking the $25 million MLS expansion buy-in option that was part of his LA Galaxy contract long enough.

It's been just over six years since Don Garber first broached the subject of Beckham bringing an MLS club to Miami. It took just over four years from that point for Garber and the MLS brass to feel comfortable enough to officially grant Becks said franchise's operating rights. Two-plus years on from that official announcement, Club Internacional de Fútbol Miami will finally take to the pitch - albeit, at a "temporary" home stadium - in time for the 2020 MLS season. It wasn't until local South Florida movers-and-shakers Jorge and José Mas joined the proposed club's investor/operator group that MLS brass felt comfortable enough to officially award an expansion franchise to Beckham-and-Company. With good reason, because it's been the Mas brothers who have been doing the heavy lifting when it comes to moving things forward on the ground ever since.

The fact of the matter is that, when it comes to bringing a Major League Soccer franchise to Miami, Beckham would still be standing around with his thumb up his ass if it weren't for the Mas brothers' local savvy, along with the financial clout of Marcelo Claure and Masayoshi Son.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

God I hate SKC's current uniforms. The goofy "glitch" design sucks, the gray shorts suck, the road jersey being a boring black uniform sucks, it all sucks.

It's especially disheartening given how sharp Sporting Kansas City has looked in previous seasons.

I was particularly fond of these jerseys...

3n6uGZ9m.jpg 9fedEN0m.jpg 

I can see both sides of the argument regarding similar colors in the league. With this many teams, there’s going to be some similar schemes. It’s how the clubs use their colors that can shake things up a bit. The navy shorts for Nashville are promising. Hopefully they stick with that more than solid yellow.

Where I strongly see the argument that MLS clubs should be reasonably distinct is that they are operating within a closed league. There isn’t any promotion or relegation (not to turn this into the pro/rel argument) to introduce new clubs to the league. So in that regard, I’m on board with similar schemes but they have to be executed differently. Use different shorts or socks, stripes, hoops, sashes, etc. There are ways to use similar schemes but look entirely different (the aforementioned Sporting KC and NYCFC example is perfect).

I can get that Crew fans are sensitive right now, but at least it's Nashville, and not Austin going for a similar colour scheme. But we've got four teams with very similar colours (some variation of blue and white) in SKC, Montreal, NYC, and Vancouver so two yellow teams isn't the end of the world I think. 

I mean, the Nashville colour is ugly, but they aren't copying the Crew I don't think. They should  have copied the NHL Predators colour scheme though. 

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

The fact of the matter is that, when it comes to bringing a Major League Soccer franchise to Miami, Beckham would still be standing around with his thumb up his ass if it weren't for the Mas brothers' local savvy, along with the financial clout of Marcelo Claure and Masayoshi Son.

I'd love for the Mas brothers, Claure, and Son to buy Beckham out and make a statement about how he hindered Miami's MLS team.

As someone from Columbus I do feel that Nashville is kind of copying our look. The Crew's signature look is all yellow, for pretty much the whole history of MLS we've worn yellow shirt, yellow shorts and yellow socks. I don't mind Nashville using yellow but I wish they would use navy shorts to at least not be all yellow. 

On 1/19/2020 at 2:41 AM, upperV03 said:

To be clear, though, I’m not blaming Adidas here. Of course they’re not going to churn out fully custom designs, patterns, etc. for all 26 clubs if they don’t have to. If they present a concept to a club that features a recycled pattern and the club signs off on it, then that’s on the club for not pushing back and requesting a change. I’ve seen some people on different platforms and message boards say that the teams don’t really get much input anymore in regards to kit design, but some teams have proven in recent years that they can still get custom designs and be more involved in the process if they want to. Maybe a club really likes an idea that Adidas presents and they decide to go ahead with it, but if they want to push back they have the opportunity to do so. 

Every year when I look at new kits from big brands like Adidas, Puma or Nike I have the same impression like others that clubs have nothing to say about design and they just need to accept whatever brands give them to wear. Look at infamous Condivo 18 or Tiro 19 template. Different thing is with smaller brands like Macron, Joma, Errea. It look like they give clubs more creative power over design.

4r2eer.png

7 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I have no skin in the game but a Crew complaint over this feels like a child saying “you’re copying me”. 

Burnley, Villa, and West Ham all exist with the same basic template for a uniform.  I can’t see why two yellow teams is a big deal. 

To be fair, Burnley and West Ham wear claret and blue because they wanted to copy Villa. ;)

6fQjS3M.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd love for the Mas brothers, Claure, and Son to buy Beckham out and make a statement about how he hindered Miami's MLS team.

Except that Miami wouldn’t have a team now without him.  MLS wasn’t exactly banging down their door: only their contractual obligation to Beckham has made that one happen.  And let’s face it; South Florida hasn’t exactly proven itself as a slam-dunk option for a new professional sports team. 

I’m told by people I know within MLS that the league tried to talk Beckham into another city, but he wasn’t interested.  From my conversations, the league isn’t very excited about Miami, but he wanted a “sexy” pick.

So even if he needed help to make it happen, it wouldn’t have happened without him.  Miami would be sitting with Detroit and Phoenix; large markets with interested potential owners but no team.

33 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

To be fair, Burnley and West Ham wear claret and blue because they wanted to copy Villa. ;)

I don’t know about Burnley, but in West Ham’s case it was less “wanted to copy Villa” and more “Villa gave them free kits to pay off a bet”.  :D   It’s not like the Cosmos adopting green and gold because they consciously wanted to look like Brazil. 

On 1/19/2020 at 12:30 PM, upperV03 said:

Here’s a mockup of what the full Miami Primary will likely look like:

spacer.png

Lisa Kudrow Wow GIF by The Comeback HBO

Congrats, Inter Miami!  You're MLS's Detroit Tigers(most boring uniforms ever) I was expecting they would had a pink jersey and black shorts and and had Miami Vice colors. And they just missed their opportunity. 

FyVfBOy.png

Sc4Eo24.png

11 hours ago, THRILLHO said:

I have no skin in the game but a Crew complaint over this feels like a child saying “you’re copying me”. 

Burnley, Villa, and West Ham all exist with the same basic template for a uniform.  I can’t see why two yellow teams is a big deal. 

Welcome to MLS. People find it personally offensive when teams run out of other color schemes and so use similar ones to other teams because they like it. Well I shouldn't say *people* as in ALL people, but some do, clearly.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, dannykraft said:

As someone from Columbus I do feel that Nashville is kind of copying our look. The Crew's signature look is all yellow, for pretty much the whole history of MLS we've worn yellow shirt, yellow shorts and yellow socks. I don't mind Nashville using yellow but I wish they would use navy shorts to at least not be all yellow. 

For all future comments of similar point, and so no one has to go through individual examples themselves: 

In England, top two tiers: Clubs with *solid* Red foundation (Liverpool, Manchester United, Bristol City, Barnsley, Boro, Charlton, Nottingham). Teams with solid and white stripes or hoops (Sheffield, Southampton, Brentford, Stoke). Teams with solid blue foundation or some further design including but not strictly limited to hoops, stripes (Chelsea, Leicester, Brighton, Everton, Birmingham City, Cardiff, Huddersfield, Millwall, QPR, Wednesday, West Brom, Reading, Portsmouth for funsies). Teams with "claret" and blue (West Ham, Burnley, Aston Villa, S:censored:horpe.) Teams with Black and White either flat or with stripes/designs (Derby, Fulham, Swansea, Newcastle). 

In Germany, top two tiers: Red and combination of White and Black/Navy (Bayern, Leverkusen, Leipzig, Augsburg, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Freiburg, Koln, Mainz, Union Berlin [congrats on promotion btw], Hannover [home kit], Nurnberg, Regensburg, Stuttgart, Wiesbaden). Blue and white (Hertha, Hoffenheim, Schalke, Paderborn, Bochum, Bielefeld, Darmstadt, Hamburg, Karlsruher). Variation of Green and some simple accent color, i.e. black, white, etc (Furth, Bremen, Wolfsburg, also Hannover).

In France, top two tiers: variation of black and white (Amiens, Angers). Black and or White (monochrome) and Red with some common color additional (Brest, Dijon, Metz, Monaco, Nice, Nimes, Reims, Rennes, Ajaccio, Guingamp, Nancy, Valenciennes). Some combo of Blue and White with accenting colors including red or gold (Lyon, Marseille, Bordeaux, Auxerre, Grenoble, Paris FC [shoutout Sir Barf]). Navy and Red (PSG, Lille, Caen, Clermont). 

In Spain, top two tiers: Blue and White stripes and or hoops (Alaves, Espanyol, Leganes, Sociedad, La Coruna, Malaga, Ponferradina). Red and White stripes/or/hoops with color color accent (Bilbao, Atletico, Granada, Almeria, Girona, Lugo, Valecano [sash, same effect], Gijon). Red and Dark colored stripes (Barcelona, Eibar, Levante, Extremadura, Huesca, Mirandes). Primary white (Real, Sevilla). 

In Italy, top two tiers: Blue and Black stripes/hoops (Atalanta, Inter, Pisa, ). Red and Dark colored stripes or hoops (Bologna, Cagliari, Genoa [Cagliari and Genoa have almost the *same* kit this season based purely on color blocking], Sampdoria, Cosenza, Crotone). Black and White (Juve, Parma, Udinese, Ascoli, Spezia). Black with white accents and Red (Milan, Perugia,). Some shade of blue and white (Lazio, Napoli. SPAL, Empoli, Pescara, Virtus, Brescia). Some combo of red and gold (Roma, Torino, Cittadella, Livorno, Salernitana). Blue and gold (Frosinone, Chievo, Hellas.) Black and Green (Pordenone, Sassuolo).

In MLS: Red and Black (DC, ATL). Red White and Blue (Chicago, New England, Dallas, RSL if you add gold). Black and blue (Montreal, San Jose). *Green (Seattle, Portland). Some form of blue and white (NYC, Minny, Sporting, Vancouver).

So, in short form...

Welcome to the Club.

At some point we run out of colors that look good together man, don't take it personally.

Edit: OMG, it sensored Scu-nthorpe, that is amazing

spacer.png

Came here to post this. 

I shouldn’t like it, but I really do. The discordant angled lines play very well together. 

I’m almost to the point where I wish NYCFC was due for a primary shirt instead of a clash shirt; I’d love to see those three shoulder stripes in dark blue on a sky blue shirt.  Not as excited about white on navy. 

Archived